View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 02:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Hain
has a plan

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerchamp76
Is there a program that will encode all my .MP3 and .MP4 audio files to the 128kps .AAC format but ALSO delete the previous file?

In iTunes, it allows you convert quite easily, but it simply makes a duplicate copy of the file in .AAC format. Since the .AAC format requires a lot less space, and I have nearly 5,000 songs, it is somewhat of a priority. If anybody can help here, I would be grateful.
I don't think there are any programs bold enough to delete the source file for you when doing such a large batch conversion. Also, from what I understand, MP4 used the AAC codec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanSpleen
If you have access to the original source (CD), you will be better off ripping directly to AAC instead of converting. Any converting process from compressed music file to compressed music file will result in a sound that is lower in quality than the original compressed file.
Absolutely correct, I cannot stress this enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauk
see I always wondered about the truth to that.

My understanding is that there is a bit of an algorithm that analyzes the "non human" frequencies and removes those while saving the remainder under whatever format "translation" output you desire (mp3 etc..)
See the lossy encoders not only remove frequencies, but also restructure the waveform. Ever lossy encoder will average data in the waveform each time you compress it to a new codec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0nsensical
That's true to a certain extent, but a) different algorithms remove different information and b) the second algorithm may perform worse with the reduced information from the first. When you recompress you're losing the removed information set from both algorithms. Some parts might overlap, like a highpass filter, but there is inevitably some additional loss.

Whether that's a perceptible loss is a different story. I have lots of OGG->MP4 recompressed files on my iPod, both versions high bitrates, I can't tell the difference. If your bitrates are high enough it's probably fine. If you're doing a 128k MP3 -> WMA it's gonna sound like crap.
Absolutely agree. Do some blind tests to see if you can tell the difference between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelgood
I figured since we're on the same topic of iTune. I've recently moved my music from my computer to the laptop and installed iTune on the laptop. I converted the mp3's and wma's to a format that's for ipod touch. However, I noticed that there are massive number of duplicates.

Such as

Song 1.xxx
Song 1 1.xxx
Song 1 2.xxx
Song 2.xxx
Song 2 1.xxx

Any sure fire way using iTune to delete all the duplicates? I've googled the topic and it mentions going to Edit->Show Duplicates and then delete everything in the list. But will that delete just the duplicates or all of the musics that were duplicated? Because when I did click on Show Duplicates, it would go

Song 1
Song 2

to:

Song 1
Song 1
Song 1
Song 2
Song 2

and when I look into itune folder, it would show that there are actually 3 Song 1 and 2 Song 2. So, if I delete all of them, it would also delete all of the songs that were converted by itune right? Meaning that I would have to start the process over of converting it.
If you are in windows do a search for "* 1" and all files with a 1 at the end of it will appear, then do the same for "* 2" and "* 3". Once you stop getting hits you can stop.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73