View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #53 (permalink)
aceventura3
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccilvr
ace: that's a totally different story that holds much different circumstances and legal issues.

The Vick issue is an illegal act that not only included animal violence but violence between man and animal.
I know the differences, I am pointing out the irony or the pretense that we live in a nation of dog lovers. How do you explain the tone of the rhetoric towards Vick when millions of dogs are abandoned and killed every year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willravel
Number of dogs and cats tortured by shelters: 0
Have you ever been to a dog shelter? I have. The dogs are clearly in distress, it is an unnatural setting for them, they lack proper exercise, emotional bonding, some are sick and malnourished. I am not saying the shelters torture, but for a dog being in a shelter is torture. The people who work and volunteer at dog shelters are remarkable people, they deserve all the credit in the world, because I don't know how they do it. I leave dog shelters deeply saddened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan6467
There is a huge difference between euthanizing animals (putting to death in a humane way) and totally abusing the Hell out of an animal and doing as much damage as possible before killing it. To compare the 2 is disgraceful and IMHO trying to find a way to approve what Vick did.
In many situations when an animal is put to death on a farm or in a situation away from a vet, a shot to the head is common. I am not sure why dog fighters would hang, drown or electrocute a dog other than them being sick.

Also, there is the world of bull fighting, there is the world of fox hunting, to people not of those cultures, the treatment of those animals seems unconscionable. Personally I don't like the thought of picking a live lobster out of a tank to be dropped in boiling water for my dinner.

Quote:
Vick participated in an illegal and barbaric event, over and over again. He raised dogs to kill and would kill them by hanging, drowning, electrocution if they lost their fight. To me, it shows a man without any civility, any conscience and any compassion.
I agree.

Quote:
Worse yet, we pay you millions of dollars a year to play a kid's game and you give us this?????? WTF... proof money doesn't buy intelligence and that today's athletes believe because of the money they make and their "fame" they feel above the law.
I bet a few people in the Falcon's organization knew Vick was into dog fighting. The owner said Vick was like a son to him. Vick owned a kennel called, Bad News, raising pitbulls, and nobody thought to ask or investigate if he was involved in illegal activities before offering him the richest contract in the NFL? To that I say even people with more money than Vick aren't to smart either.

Quote:
Or the NAACP to start making this a racial issue,
The dog fighting, gambling and Vick's pleading guilty is not racial, but there are racial overtones to the national response.

Quote:
If Vick were white, would you NAACP guys feel the same way????????
No. It is not their job to respond the same way to injustice that doesn't involve "colored" people. The NRA gets involved in NRA issues and ignore non-NRA issues. Same for the ACLU, PETA, AARP, AMA, UAW, and your local PTA, etc, etc, etc.

I always found this, why don't the do the same for white people, argument used against the NAACP kind of odd. Well why doesn't the NRA stand up and support the causes of non-gun owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesnowyowl
I think he deserves a lifetime ban from the NFL.
So what is the new rule going to be?

If a person has ever killed a dog they cannot play in the NFL?
If you are a felon you can't play in the NFL?
If you are cruel you can't play in the NFL?

What about rapists who have been convicted and served their time? Murderers? Wife beaters? Child abusers? Drunk driving convictions?

Quote:
This is not a racial issue. This is an animal cruelty issue. For the NAACP to think otherwise--they're being deliberately obtuse.
To most people this may not be a race issue. To some it is. Some people hate young black hip-hop culture and hate the fact that young black males make millions of dollars in sports and entertainment, and they let their hate be known. Why should we pretend, this is not real?
"A lady screams at the mouse but smiles at the wolf. A gentleman is a wolf who sends flowers."

Last edited by aceventura3; 08-23-2007 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73