View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
dksuddeth
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by willravel
If our prison system worked, and prisoners were released as corrected individuals who were ready to be functional and safe members of society, I might agree. That is not the case, so putting them all in prison is not a wise solution.
this is why sentencing guidelines don't work. If someone commits a violent crime, don't make the max 10 years or parole him in half time for good behavior. If you can't trust an 'ex-con' with a weapon, you don't let him out at all.

Quote:
It takes more than free will to become a criminal, but that's a different conversation.
yeah, sometimes all it takes is for the government to decide that they don't like your freedom to do such an activity, or for your neighbors to not like it.

Quote:
If my neighbor has a knife, and he is a proven danger to the people around him with that knife, would it be more wise to get a knife yourself or try to take his knife?
has he committed a crime with that knife? Just because someone MIGHT do something is no cause to outlaw a possession. It's not any different than cutting someones vocal chords because they MIGHT let out a national security secret.

Quote:
Self defence is great as a last resort, but I've seen no mention, beyond my own, in all of these wonderful gun threads about actually taking an active role in stoipping criminals from getting guns.
I gave you the best one. you chose to dismiss it.

Quote:
The government will be broken until we, the populaec, fix it. If we want something done we have to fight for it. Instead of fighting to get guns away from criminals, you seem to want to fight to simply arm everyone. You're skipping ahead.
There are only two ways to keep criminals from getting a gun. Kill them the first time they are convicted or don't let them out again, ever. Other than that, they WILL get a gun. whether its robbing the gun store, robbing a home, killing a gun owner, or a cop, to get the gun. They WILL get a gun.

Quote:
Murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation is called second-degree murder. If you buy a gun and keep it on your person, it can be assumed that if the right situation presents itself, you are ready to try to kill or to kill. If you wanted to just slow down or subdue a criminal, mace or a taser would do just fine. If you open fire on someone, you obviously have a lack of concern for human life. That's second degree murder.
If I am not the aggressor, I am not the murderer. If someone draws a gun on me but i'm faster or a better shot, I am certainly not the murderer.

Quote:
And what of the emotional effect of taking a life? Have you ever killed someone? I hear it's even traumatic for people who are trained to do so.
but at least they are still alive to feel bad about it, aren't they?

Quote:
An NRA website!!! Fair and balanced reading, I hope...?
the NRA is not the demonic organization that the gun control groups are trying to make them. The so called 'gun lobby' is just another lobbying group, much like the brady campaign, the violence policy center, and the AHSA.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73