View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
aberkok
“Wrong is right.”

Great Jazz Piano

I want to, in this thread, share some of the great jazz piano recordings. This can be any combination of players, but you have to give a reason why you think the recording is great. I invite you to then comment on what people have put up.

For example, when people ask me if I like Vince Guaraldi, I always have to respond by getting them to check out Bill Evans (early recordings) and Keith Jarrett 1970s stuff, as that's where I think he "came from" musically speaking. Similarly, you'd be missing out as a Harry Connick Jr. fan if you don't listen to Duke Ellington's small group sessions and Thelonious Monk.

The purpose of this thread isn't to get into an argument over what is and isn't jazz, so I'll keep my mouth shut if Yanni but to increase our breadth of knowledge so we can get down and enjoy some great music we may not have known about! Here I go:

McCoy Tyner - Reaching Fourth - There's not too many trio sessions with McCoy and we usually don't get to hear him in the old days without the towering figure of Coltrane. This is with Roy Haynes on drums and it's a chance to get to know what McCoy's doing more intimately. Probably my favourite thing about it is its cheesy title, and if you get the double entendre, you can come join the nerd club with me.

Kenny Kirkland - Black Codes From The Underground - This is a Wynton Marsalis album and one of the late Kenny Kirkland's finest ever recording sessions. His rhythm section relationship with Jeff "Tain" Watts is the closest I can think of ever, and is the definition of power. Especially on the track "Chambers of Tain."

Jason Moran - Bandwagon - Moran is extremely inventive. My favourite stuff on this trio session is the excerpts from the "word" cycle. On one of them, he "melodizes" a conversation his agent is having, in Turkish, on her cellphone. He then loops certain parts of it and uses it as a rhythmic basis for improvising. You have to hear it to believe it.

I've got tons more but I'd love to hear from you. I hope this thread has some appeal. Throw in!!

Warden Gentiles: "It? Perfectly innocent. But I can see how, if our roles were reversed, I might have you beaten with a pillowcase full of batteries."

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73