View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
lurkette
My future is coming on

Moderator Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by maleficent
Did he really? He divorced her and married someone else...
"[Andrea] asks her husband, Rusty Yates, how he forgives her. And he said, ‘Andrea, if I were in a car driving the five children and I had a heart attack and had a wreck and they all died, would you blame me? Would it be my fault?’ and she said, ‘No.’ He said, ‘That’s the same thing with you. You’re mentally ill. It’s a brain sickness.’”
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in594518.shtml

Rusty, who filed for divorce last summer, told Syler Friday that his wife needs treatment for her mental illness, not prison.

"I hope they drop the charges against her and that she can go to a hospital and stay there long enough to, you know, till the doctors can find the right combinations of medicines to make her, you know, well and safe," he told Syler. "And that she can receive counseling. Obviously, she's in a worse place now than she was, really, at the time of the tragedy, because she has so much trauma behind her, and it's going to take a long time to work through that. I think on the order of, you know, best case, two or three years."

"In many respects, I see Andrea as a victim in all of this, not as, you know, a perpetrator, although she did commit this horrible act. She never would have done so, had she not been ill."

Still, Rusty filed for divorce in July "primarily, you know, because of how much she's hurt me," he said to Syler. "I mean, we're apart, that's a factor, but, really, I think even though I can forgive her, you know, there are consequences, really, for our marriage, for what she's done and, you know, I really can't get past the pain, you know, that she's caused me there."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in665425.shtml

Quote:
What about compassion for the 5 children that she murdered... What about the eldest boy that she chased around the house as he tried to get away from her because he saw what she was doing... What about compassion for that?
I don't believe that the two - compassion for her and for the children - are mutually exclusive. Compassion for the children and horror at the tragedy do not logically lead to a need to seek revenge. And that's what punishing her would be - revenge. Not justice.

- Anatole France

Last edited by lurkette; 07-17-2006 at 05:44 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62