View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lindy
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmandan
Ok,I've had a checking account with a debit card for the last 2 years or so. awhile back, I had a problem with overdrafting, about $150 worth of charges. The bank sent out a collection agency notice the day before I paid it, and everything was fine since, I learned my lesson for the most part.
Apparently not.

Well now in the last week, I scheduled a credit card payment to my checking account and I forgot about it. Not a smart thing to do.
I use my debit card alot, and alot of the time, for small purchases, like bottles of water at work.
A stupid thing to do--as you found out. Why not carry some quarters and small bills with you??? There are no fees for using cash.

So I ended up having no money in my checking account about 4 days ago. Problem Is, the bank kept accepting my card. No, the problem is that you kept using the card.I logged on to my account today, and saw $237 in bold RED. I owe the bank about $47 in actuality, but $189 worth of fees for overdrafting ($27 a pop).

My question is, is there any way to just pay the money i really owe them, and close the account, without credit repercussion. No.

I'm really irritated that they still accepted my card when I obviously had no money in the account. They are probably "really irritated" that you kept using your card when you obviously had no money in the account. That certainly cuts both ways.
My credit score is currently 643, so it's nothing spectacular, but it's not bad, so I don't want to jepardize that. I don't know what impact these sort of things have on credit, but I really can't see paying the bank $300 (i have 2 pending transactions still).Your FICO Score reflects how you take care of your financial obligations. You are angry that the bank charged you you exorbitant fees. That does not remove your obligation. You could have easily avoided those fees. Take your lumps, pay the fees, learn your lesson, and move on.

I called the bank and they didn't want to do anything to me. they don't mind charging me $28 per bottle of water.Oh give me a break!.

Let me know what you guys think, if I have any options other than paying it or what.
P.S.
I'm in central new york if locale matters[/QUOTE]
This is an example of what we call "stupid tax." Some people pay stupid tax once, learn their lesson, and move on. Some people keep paying stupid tax their whole life, and, of course, someone else is always to blame. Some persons should just not have checking accounts. If you can't be diligent about keeping track (which means writing down purchases/payments/withdrawals--not checking your balance on line every few days) then your are probably one of those persons. My ex husband is 35 years old, and still can't keep track of his bank balance. He probably pays over a thousand dollars a year in bank fees.
Lindy

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73