View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #37 (permalink)
smooth
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jazz
My only point in the correction was to show that this isn't the guy that was running from the cops. He may or may not have been trying to get the driver to stop or he could very well have been egging him on. Given that he's in law enforcement, the standard will probably be for the former.
And the cop knew this how?
You're making points after the fact that the people in the situation had no knowledge about.
My post was speaking from the officer's perspective at the time.

Quote:
The "drill" is to do whatever the cop tells you. Sometimes cops order suspects to stand up, turn around and walk backwards towards them. There are multiple ways that PO's deal with suspects, and it all depends on the circumstances. If the cop was alone with a single suspect and needed to secure him quickly and didn't know if there was a weapon underneath his body, the easiest way to secure him might be to have him stand, turn around with hands laced and walk backwards where he can be cuffed and patted down. You're right that I've never been "accosted" by the cops, but I have enough friends on the force in Chicago to know that there are multiple ways in the manual to deal with varying circumstances. The ones that have seen the video that I've discussed this shooting with all say that the cop was in the wrong, although a couple of them think that the victim probably should have done a better job of idenifying himself as LE.
Well, whatever man. This isn't going anywhere. I was just positing a different perspective that no one seems willing to entertain. It's just a plausible explanation, something to ponder on instead of lamenting the brutality of this loose cannon. I wasn't there and neither were you.
I never said the cop was in the right and he probably doesn't think he was either, in retrospect.

It's very easy to see how both of the actors in this situation thought they were doing the right thing at the time without too much difficulty or stretching of the information.

"You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists." -- Abbie Hoffman

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73