View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 06:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
docbungle
It's all downhill from here

Political parties and the people who believe in them

Trying to have a conversation with someone regarding anything political has become virtually impossible. This is especially true when speaking to a member of one of the two main poitical parties, the "REPUBLICANS" and the "democrats." Why did I write republicans with BIG letters and democrats with small ones? Because that's how they behave. Disagree with a republican on their politics and he/she will become angry and LOUD and sarcastic and probably end up walking out of the room rather than contribute anything constructive to the "conversation." Disagree with a democrat and they will get all "woe-is-me" and say things to imply that you are just not smart enough to understand their pont of view: that's the only possible explanation of why you wouldn't agree with them.

When I refer to REPUBLICANS or democrats, let it be known that I am speaking of the type that can't see anything - or refuse to see anything - until it has been filtered through the strict viewpoint of their own political party. These are the people who get most of their information from 3 minute television clips, 20 second sound bites, sensationalist news stories or talk radio. Never do they search for multiple sources of information or involve themselves in any actual hands-on research. And they NEVER listen, much less agree with, anyone who has an opposing viewpoint on anything at all whatsoever from that of their own poitical party.

When reading through this forum, it doesn't even take any effort to see who's on which side, even after just a few posts. Everyone is that set in their ways. That subjective.

Objectivity doesn't exist.

This is nothing new. But that doesn't make it any less of an issue.

Nobody is ever right, even if they are actually right. Nothing is ever conceded, even if it means destroying a friendship. No one is willing to have an actual CONVERSATION, with an actual exchange of ideas and opinions that they came up with themselves as opposed to ideas and opinions they simply cut-and-pasted from last night's news on tv or this morning's venomous blatherings on am radio.

And it seems, to me at least, to be voluntary: One's dumbing down of one's self. One's refusal to learn anything that they might not like. One's need to feel as if they "belong" to a certain way of thought, even if belonging means agreeing with your party even when you don't agree with them.

No one wants to figure anything out; everyone just wants to be right.

If the type of stereo speakers you have in your house suddenly became fodder for the most recent political battle, you would be stigmatized by these people as belonging to one side or the other, simply because you have speakers in your house.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73