View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 03:07 AM   #100 (permalink)
scout
Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by daswig
If a State has a CCW law allowing people to get a CCW permit and legally carry a gun, why should teachers be stripped of this just because they are teachers?
There is lots of places in the States with a CCW that you can't carry a gun. In Indiana for example its illegal to carry your weapon into a government building such as a courthouse or into a bar even with a CCW. Sounds like reasonable judgement to me and it doesn't bother me to leave my .45 in the truck when I have official business to do in the government buildings. Likewise it seems fairly reasonable that if I should enter a bar that I should leave it in the truck due to the likelihood of trouble being started in such a place.

Where I work it's against the rules to have a firearm with me as I make my daily service calls, sometimes into the worst of neighborhoods with large amounts of cash. I can't say I've always heeded that rule while working but none the less its a rule and if something happens there's a chance I could lose my job. Better my job than my life. Likewise I see no reason to give teachers a blanket "license to carry" while on the job. If they have a concealed carry permit and they do happen to carry their weapon to work so be it, but I'm sure they will be much more careful without a security blanket than with one.

My real issue with giving teachers a "blanket" to carry while on the job is I remember some of the teachers I had HAHA. Pretty scary!! No really, I just find it hard to imagine how they are going to be able to secure that firearm to insure that it doesn't get stolen or worse. I've seen some people with CCW permits that apparently have no concept of securing their firearm, and I'm sure some of the teachers would get careless as well. Also, I really have no desire for my grandchildren to be taught by a teacher with a Colt Peacemaker strapped to his hip. Using your logic once a child reaches 18 and is able to get a CCW permit then he should also be legally able to pack his weapon to school.

I would rather put high voltage fences around the school and to enter everyone has to go through metal detectors manned by armed security if that's what it takes rather than having our children learn from a teacher that's got a .45 strapped to his/her hip. Once inside the building children shouldn't have to worry about a thing but learning and growing.

Sorry if I offend you but that's just the way I see it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73