View Single Post
Old 12-11-2004, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
-Ever-
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Famous
a couple of points.

If you are just starting to take it seriously, the over sized heads are normally the best bet

If something feels good and works for you, its a good bet

Dont spend too much on your first clubs. A $300 set will do pretty much the same thing as a $1000 set for a high-medium handicapper.

My best advise would be to get a cheap, over sized heads (they have a bigger "sweet spot" set of clubs made by a decent name you have heard of. Expensive clubs are designed to give greater touch and control, but can hinder the game of someone just starting, you really need something cheap, solid, with the biggest sweet spot you can get.

You can worry about hitting the fades and deep spins and so on later on... if you are anything like me anyway, hitting the ball long and in a straight line is enough of a challenge when you start playing!

If you want to splash out, do it in a putter that feels really nice, or maybe a nice sand wedge. And dont spend too much on a driver either... or at least I didt. For the first couple of years I played I never even used to hit a wood... I can hit a 3 iron 200 yards and thats enough for me!
Thanks for all the great info bud! However, as the topic of the thread says, I'm just in the market for irons for now, I've already got a driver and putter I like

I totally know what you're saying Pan. The reason I'm still renting up until now is because I didn't want to commit to a nice set of clubs before I was able to handle them, and I really don't like buying cheap stuff that I'm going to get over pretty quickly (with resale value in mind...) I'll look into the Nike's and see if I can find a good price.

Thanks again guys
-T
Embracing the goddess energy within yourselves will bring all of you to a new understanding and valuing of life. A vision that inspires you to live and love on planet Earth. Like a priceless jewel buried in dark layers of soil and stone, Earth radiates her brilliant beauty into the caverns of space and time. Perhaps you are aware of those who watch over your home And experience of this place to visit and play with reality. You are becoming aware of yourself as a gamemaster...
--Acknowledge your weaknesses--

Last edited by -Ever-; 12-11-2004 at 02:23 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62