1. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite shooting glasses?

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by ChrisJericho, Jan 10, 2012.

1. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

Yeah so, I've been running some cheap ass plastic 3M glasses I got from cabella's like 2 years ago. I realized it made no sense to spend a buttload of money on training, ammo, and firearms and then skimp out when it comes to eyewear.

Luckily for xmas I got a $50 giftcard to a local shooting store so I'm going to go try on a bunch of them but if you have a personal favorite I should look into I'm all ears. (Or eyes !!! wokaa wokka wokka!!)

2. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

I like the ESS-Ice series. They're not as cool as Oakleys. But for someone who wears glasses underneath their eye-pro, I like them for their light weight, slim design (so if you wear ear muffs, the glasses don't dig in to the side of your head), and generous coverage.

http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-2X_146_detail.html

[​IMG]

3. ChrisJericho

Oh yes, I remember going to that website a few months ago and being completely overwhelmed with all the choices. Ok I'll keep an eye out for those.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Oakley. Revision. ESS. All good brands for "tactical" eyepro. Find something that fits your face.

Me? Oakley M-frames, 2.0. I look like some type of '80s B-flick action nerd but they're really cheap.

Really, any set of safety glasses from Home Depot that meets ANSI standards will protect your eyes.

The only issue with cheap eyepro is how much they fog up and how comfortable they are with earpro.

Eyepro, like many things in life, goes by the old adage: "Buy once, cry once." It's a matter of needs.

Regardless of what type of eyepro you buy, you should always follow the 3 Rules of Shooting Eyepro.

1. All eyepro will be stored in hard cases to prevent damage. Someone will inevitably sit on your gear.
    (This is important because if they're not on your face, someone will eventually break your eyepro.)

2. All eyepro cases will be hold a microfiber rag so you can clean 'em when you get crap on the lens.
    (This is important because using your t-shirt, BDU top or fingers to clean lenses is like fucking your sister.)

3. Both sets of eyepro (tinted and clear) will be taken to the range at all times regardless of activity.
    (This is important because shooting sessions get extended or change venues. That and it's an extra set.)

5. KirStang

Oakleys? My my, I do believe the Gear Queer Apprentice has become the Gear Queer Master. :)

6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Pfft, not at USSI prices.

7. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

8. ChrisJericho

I bought those ESS ICE glasses and they worked out great for a 3day shooting class, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

When you wear them... do you find your beard growing in fuller and your mouth slightly open whenever you're squared up on a IPSC target?

10. ChrisJericho

I keep my mouth closed while shooting so the chemicals stay out of my pie-hole.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

...but my joke.

12. Snake Eater

Snake Eater Vertical

I typically just wear Oakley Flak Jackets... Both for shooting and everyday wear.

I don't like glasses that have gigantic lenses because they fog up when it's hot and humid out.

The relatively flat profile makes them easier to wear under peltor's.

They are light and still offer ballistic protection.

Also, the lenses can be replaced relatively easily... I have to do this about twice a year, but it's way cheaper than buying new glasses each time.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  13. KirStang

How do your Flak Jackets wear over glasses? I tend to wear contacts when I take firearm classes, but, it would be nice to have eye pro that fits well over glasses.

14. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

• Like Like x 1
  15. KirStang

Disagree. The glasses make me look lawyerly. Much needed for a young attorney like me.

16. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Get the eye surgery, buy do-nothing plain glass dork goggles that those scene kids wear. 20/15 vision at the range, lawyerly look maintained.

What Would Jason Bourne Do?

Last edited: May 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ChrisJericho

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Think Tactically: It's way uncomfortable eating pussy while wearing glasses.

You never know when you'll have your primary go down and have to eat some pussy.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

20. KirStang

Nooo, casual wear you need those high speed Oakley flaks.