1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Workout Music

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by martian, Aug 8, 2013.

1. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

At this rate we're going to need a Health and Fitness forum again.

What do you work out to? What's your get-fit soundtrack?

I recently picked up some exercising again as part of my continuing health improvements. I started with calisthenics and just today after about a week of that have introduced weights.

For some reason when I'm working out I jam to old school hip hop. NWA, DJ Kool, Doug E Fresh, Young MC. Dunno why. I guess it's just the high energy and fresh beats. And when I say I jam, I jam, dorky white boy dancing included.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU

So what's your music?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Mahfuggin' Pantera!

"BECOMING... GOD-SIZED."

Good for running, good for lifting. That and all the screaming motivates.

Tempo is super important. Honestly, anything with a good beat to help keep the reps flowing.

My iPod? I've got Mobb Deep to White Zombie to random Top 40 stuff.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Back when I lifted, it was The Prodigy, Fat of the Land. All of it.

Now? The dojang plays mostly '90s hop hop. It works. They play more recent stuff too.

• Like Like x 2
  4. martian

• Like Like x 4
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Super dorky, but I love listening to music from the Naruto Original Soundtrack 1. It's my ninja training music. It's all pretty upbeat.

And my all-time favorite:

• Like Like x 1
  6. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I listen to a podcast when I'm running, and pretty much all the music is techno. I've never heard the songs anywhere else, and it's not something I usually listen to, but it's good for keeping a beat. If I'm more than two blocks from home when that's over, I'll hit shuffle, which gives me anything from 80s to jazz to Broadway.

I've started putting my own playlist together, but I may be putting too much thought into it (analyzing beats per minute, etc.) So far it features a lot of '80s new wave and '90s Europop, with some upbeat alternative. Totally surprising, I know.

I'm also a fan of this playlist, which is all rockin' chicks.

One of my '90s selections:

• Like Like x 1
  7. martian

Way too much effort. Do you like the song? Does it make you want to move? Then it's good workout music.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I just put my music on shuffle. It has mixed results.

• Like Like x 1
  9. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

You spelled dojo wrong.

10. Baraka_Guru

Ha ha. Hop hop. Stupid virtual keyboard. You should see it fully uncorrected. It's like I'm drunk.

I'm going to stop posting on Taptatalk.

And it's actually dōjō you're thinking about. If I were to be more specific, I would have used hapkidojang.

And while we're at it, I should point out your custom user title, where you spelled NuJazz wrong.

11. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

Django?

12. Baraka_Guru

• Like Like x 2
  13. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

I typically just turn on the Hard Rock Strength Training channel on Pandora and let it ride. Unless some whiny, flaccid, non sequitur bullshit comes up. Then I click 'dislike' and move on.

14. Coheed and Cambria. All day, every day.

Usually one of the first four albums for my weightlifting, and then the entirety of either Ascension or Descension (or, in one really weird instance, one after the other) for cardio.

If CoCa isn't available or I get bored, it's usually something else along those lines. Breaking Benjamin, Green Day, etc etc. Something pounding and driving and heavy for weights and a little lighter and fast-tempo'd for cardio.

15. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I usually just watch shitty prime time detective shows while I work out.

True story: I was in a cardio class once where the teacher played a dance remix of Rhinestone Cowboy. This might have been the moment that I decided to take my cardiovascular health into my own hands. Come to think of it, this experience might be why I don't listen to music when I work out anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I had to go look for that. There is a WHOLE PAGE of remixes on youtube. This one is so hilariously bad, it's immediately going on my workout playlist:

(apologies if I've triggered any terrible memories, Bodkin ;) )

• Like Like x 2
  17. martian

18. turn on pandora and put on the "phoenix" radio!!! big motivator

19. martian

• Like Like x 1
  20. martian

• Like Like x 1