1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What's your desk chair like?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CinnamonGirl, Aug 19, 2015.

1. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I bought a fancy-schmancy desk chair a few years ago that's recently become annoying to sit in (the hydraulic...thing... doesn't lock anymore), and my "substitute chair" isn't really cutting it. Our Friend-Who-Is-Good-At-Fixing-Things is going to take a look at it, but I've started to check out some other options in the meantime.

I'm leaning towards getting a stability ball—woo, bouncing! But seriously, I'll probably end up switching back & forth, using a ball half the day, and a chair the other half. And if I don't like using the sability ball as a desk chair, I can incorporate it into a fitness routine. Win-win.

So, what's your office/desk chair like? Simple and Spartan? Cushy and soft? What's your preference?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Funny story. I have the office chair that was supposed to go to Al Davis, the now deceased owner of the Oakland Raiders.

Seriously.

One of my customers is a major office furniture manufacturer. Several years back they got the contract to outfit the NFL offices. Somewhere in that building is a conference room where there are two chairs in each team's colors around a massive conference table. So the company specially made 64 chairs for that meeting room, two each for each team, one for the principle owner, one for the General Manager.

However, the fabric in the Raiders chair had a few almost imperceptible wrinkles in it along one seam. It was decided not to ship those two chairs and to remake them, since it was such a high profile job. The two chairs got brought home by the plant manager and put in his massive (like four stall, three of the stalls double deep) attached garage. One night I was hanging out with him in his garage with some other people who worked for that company drinking beers. I asked them about getting a hook-up on a new office chair for my home office. I knew that that company had an employee store for items that just barely didn't pass quality standards, and told him I'd take whatever they had and gladly pay for it. He walks over to the corner of his garage, grabs Al Davis' chair, tells me the story, and sends me home with it. It is silver and black (not obnoxious, it's a mixed pattern so it isn't obviously designed to be for the Raiders), and retails for about $1500. I got it free. :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  3. CinnamonGirl

Well, that's pretty rad.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

[​IMG]

La-Z-Boy recliner. It is the only way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I have a pretty basic chair that I got for $5 at university surplus. I like it because it makes me sit correctly and is very ergonomic for my neck problems. My previous chair wasn't.

6. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I often use my ball.
    [​IMG]

But I do have a swivel chair that I spent $5.99 on a few years back, too.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Hand-me-down gaming chair I've had for 5 or so years. Hubs get super-expensive chairs off Craigslist because he works from home. He's offered me his old ones, but I don't like the way they sit. In Louisiana, I used a poang chair from IKEA, with my wireless keyboard in my lap for ergonomics. And my desk had adjustable legs that were set very low to compensate.

8. snowy

My new desk chair at work is an Aeron chair ripoff. Sweet.

9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

That's the one I was to trying to think of... He had an Aeron and now another similar one from that manufacturer.

10. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I've got one of these Broyhill Leather office chair. It's comfy and looked nice when new; but it really hasn't held up well. I like leather seating; but bonded leather falls apart and the wooden arms continually loosen.

Hasn't quite made it to the top of my replace stuff list; but it's getting there.

11. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

multi-balans-5-large.jpg I just use a kind of generic chair from Staples, cost about $80, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of the 'balans' style chairs.

My dad has one of the originals and has used it as long as I can remember. He loves it, but Mom can't stand it. I think it might be good for posture.

At 110lbs, I don't need a really sturdy chair, in fact a lot of the more pricy chairs seem just big and cumbersome.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

My friend growing up had one of those chairs. It was good to use if you are working. Not so much for relaxing at home.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

I think there is a deskchair under my desk at work, I haven't sat in it for an year now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CinnamonGirl

I've never seen those before, and now I'm intrigued. I may will have to try one out.

15. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

i have one of these since new years

Max Series - Executive Office Chair | DXRacer Official Website

i love the look but don't use the pillows that go on the back. I had to get a seat cushion for the bottom half, but love it with that, and i can literally recline all the way back with my feet up and hugging my knees without falling onto my skull

16. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Historically my desk chair has been whatever cheap thing I can find. My current model actually came from an old workplace where they got new ones, so this one was being gotten rid of.

Lately my back's been kind of messed up, though, so I might use that as an excuse to get something fancy. I spend enough time in it.

17. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

A former boss I had said a good (expensive) desk chair would pay for it self in an year or less. There would be more productivity and fewer sick days. He claimed to have the numbers to support this.

18. snowy

Ergonomics is real.

Safety and Health Topics | Ergonomics

19. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Broken springs and it sucks.