1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What is a "news reader" and why do I need one?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Lindy, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I've been using computers for a long time. If I have a news reader, it must be pretty well hidden, or completely transparent. Or maybe I don't have one and haven't missed it.

Guide me, please.:)

2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I use Google News for News and I use Feedly (since Google Reader died) to sort my RSS feeds.

RSS feeds are ways that websites can offer up their frequently updated blogs, stories, etc. A reader such as Feedly (feedly. Read more, know more.) presents those various feeds of information in ways that makes them easier to consume. The simplest way is as a list of new content. The key is when you start to organize the feeds by genre or theme (eg all your food blogs sorted together, all your current news, etc.).

If you don't visit a large number of websites for content everyday you may not need to use a reader, but if you do, hoo boy it makes life easier.

You no longer have to go to each site. The content gets pushed to your feeder and you can consume it from one source.

Hope that helps.
    --- merged: Sep 1, 2015 10:12 AM ---
    Of course... you might have meant a different sort of news reader. In that case, I suggest Ron Burgundy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

ahh, so it's an organizational type of software not a piece of hardware like an ereader...

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Feedly is good.

Other news readers I've had experience with include Google's product for phones, Play Newsstand, and Flipboard. I really only use Newsstand to access magazines I'm subscribed to digitally. I don't use it for much else.

Honestly, I usually just check Google News.

Anyway, here's a Wikipedia page about news aggregators: News aggregator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

Last news reader I used was nn (no news) on HP UX so that's some months ago....