1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

What are you reading right now or what have you recently finished? Did you enjoy the book?

I'm reading:

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. I'm reading it with my eight year old daughter. It's a fantasy story about young girl. I'm always on the lookout for age appropriate stories with strong female protagonists and Tiffany Aching is a strong female protagonist. I'm enjoying the book. My daughter and I both laugh out loud regularly while reading it. Voicing the Wee Free Men is really killing my throat though.

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. He wrote On Stranger Tides (Pirates of the Caribbean is loosely based on the book). I read Last Call by him recently and enjoyed it. The Anubis Gates is a historical/time travel fantasy book. I have enjoyed it so far, but I'm only 50 pages in.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

I just finished Star Island by Carl Hiaasen. It was a nice lightweight South Florida farce. I understand that he has a whole stack of these books, so I have some nice beach reading ahead for me.

3. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I just finished A Dance With Dragons last week... I really should read it again, but the feeling is more like it's homework , not something I'd actually enjoy.

Right now, I'm in the midst of a Paul Newman biography. I usually steer away from non-fiction, but this one's pretty entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

A Dance with Dragons is sitting on my shelf. I bought it a few weeks ago. I really should read it again, but the feeling is more like its homework, not something I'd actually enjoy. (It often takes me awhile to start a new book, especially when the book is enormous).
    --- merged: Aug 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM ---
    My daughter has read all of his juvenile fiction. I'll have to check out some of his "adult" stuff.

5. EyeSeePeeDude

EyeSeePeeDude Getting Tilted

I am about halfway through Stephen King's "Under the Dome" - should be done early next week. Then it's on to The Dark Tower series... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nikilidstrom

Nikilidstrom Vertical

Just finished the Dark Tower series not too long ago. It may get tough in the middle, but stick through to the end and it will all pay off.

Just finished Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind, and while I like the story for the most part, his writing is bad and the ending was iffy. Had to talk myself into getting the second book, Stone of Tears, but since I like the characters, I grabbed it and started reading today.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

As referenced earlier, am reading "A Clash of Kings"... nothing negative to say but am not getting into it as I did the "A Game of Thrones", or at least not so far.

Dont know if this qualifies as a spoiler since I dont actually know, but:

Am just hoping that the arrogant and self righteous Starks get their comuppance soon... hopefully they will find out how much use wolves are in a fight against dragons... but dont tell me!

8. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Last read:
    Portrait of a Spy - Daniel Silva

Current read:
    Full Black - Brad Thor

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

I've just started Colonel Roosevelt. Part 3 of a Roosevelt biography trilogy.

10. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I've made it partway through the second volume but set it aside for some fun reading for now. Not a bad read.

11. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy: So Long and Thanks For the Fish. 95% finished and will probably start reading And Another Thing, which is a continuation of the series, but by a different author.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I kind of gave up on Gravity's Rainbow a few months ago, but I feel like I'm going to give it another go soon. I'm about a third of the way into Lolita, and halfway into The Negative by Ansel Adams.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

I've checked out Gravity's Rainbow 3 or 4 times from the library. I enjoy it, but I never get through more than 100 pages.

14. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Just finished reading Sense and Sensibility. I need to go to the library and pick up some new reading material, though--vacation is in less than a week, and since we'll be camping, there will be ample reading time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett and The Deep Blue Good-By by John D. MacDonald

I'm really enjoying the detective novels right now. Sam Spade is such a classic womanizer, while Travis McGee is far more of an empathetic guy... "Mother McGee"

• Like Like x 1
  16. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

Beyond Belief - The Secret Gospel of Thomas by Elaine Pagels.

17. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I read Lolita last winter. It's one of my favourite novels, and it has encouraged me to read Nabokov's Pale Fire soon.

Gravity's Rainbow is on my list, but I'm reading Ulysses first (I'm halfway through). :confused:

I'm currently reading A Dance with Dragons and am halfway through it. At this point, I just want to finish it so I can move onto something else. It feels like reading four or five novels at once. I don't think I'm long for standard epic fantasy. It's enjoyable enough, but not that enjoyable. I hope it's worth it. :)

18. lionrock

lionrock Getting Tilted

HUnger Games trilogy.

19. Stick

Stick Vertical

Excellent. I've just finished the 4th Tiffany Aching book 'I Shall Wear Midnight'.
    I love the Discworld series.

What I'm reading at the moment -
    Niccolo Machiavelli - 'The Prince'
    Sepp Holzer - 'Permaculture'
    Nikolai Gogol - 'Dead Souls'

• Like Like x 1
  20. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

I'm just starting book 5 of Steven Erickson's Malazan series after a friend made a claim that the series is better (in his opinion) then GRRMartin's.

The first 3 books were about 850 pages each, book 4 was 980, and I read a supplemental book by Steven Esselmont which was another 400 or so. There's 14 books in the series so this is going to keep me occupied for a while.

Erickson is a great writer for most of it, but you really have to be able to not get attached to characters, and pay attention when the story hops around to different huddles of people every 10-15 pages.

• Like Like x 2