1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

We'll Miss You Spock - RIP Leonard Nimoy

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by redravin, Feb 27, 2015.

1. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

As he said as Spock in Wraith of Khan,
    "Remember"

Done.
    As I'm sure will many...

• Like Like x 3
  3. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I am sad, but glad he lived such a long and prosperous life.

• Like Like x 3
  4. redravin

"He's not really dead... as long as we remember him." Bones McCoy

• Like Like x 2
  5. redux

redux Very Tilted

As part of the Yiddish Book Center Wexler Oral History Project, Leonard Nimoy explains the Jewish story behind the "Live Long and Prosper" hand-gesture made famous by Spock.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

Star Trek was the first TV show I remember watching when I was a kid, since the whole Star Universe has been like a family to me, I always felt a special accord with Spock and his pure logic half fighting his more emotional half. Learned a lot from that character and the actor who played so well, farewell Leonard, you will be missed.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Damn, I usually don't tear up when a celebrity passes, but Mr. Nimoy was such a great influence on my young self with Star Trek and In Search of... that it feels like I lost a family member.
    You will definitely be missed, sir. Rest in peace.

• Like Like x 2
  8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

He was a total BA. You will not be forgotten. May we all strive to be as "human" as Spock.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Leonard Nimoy will never die. His portrayal of Spock was brilliant.

11. omega

omega Very Tilted

I'm surprised he never made an appearance on the big bang theory. Now it's too late.

12. Ozmanitis

I believe he did, But only as a voice, it was an early episode were Sheldon was tempted to open a collectable toy and Spock, in a dream, appeared to he as a action figure and talked him into it.

• Like Like x 3
  13. omega

omega Very Tilted

That's right,I forgot about that.

14. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

He was awesome. I got into Trek early, and was always a major Spock fan. The friendship between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy was always a very integral part of how I conceived close friendship-- probably one of the reasons I never had heaps of close friends, since that was the standard I expected of them.

When I was maybe 14 or 15 (so, mid- to late-80s), he was on a panel at the third or fourth convention I ever attended. I was lucky enough to ask him a question, and I asked if he thought, besides the Vulcan salute, whether there were elements of Spock that he had drawn from his Jewish background. He was kind enough to give a little nerdling like me a thoughtful and fairly lengthy answer, wherein he described feeling that Spock's commitment to ethics, to justice, and to compassion for other beings in his own logical fashion, were absolutely drawn out of the Jewish values he had been taught in youth. It was a great moment that meant a lot to me. He was only just beginning to get back into his Judaism at that time, so I guess he had thought about it before that moment.

I was friendly with one of the rabbis at Temple Israel Hollywood, where he and Shatner both went in the '80s and '90s (no clue if Shatner still goes), and she mentioned to me that she had coached Nimoy to re-learn the art of chanting from the Torah, which he had not done since his bar mitzvah, but which apparently he did several times at Temple Israel in those years. I wish I could have seen that.

What an amazing figure he was. I loved him as Spock, I thought him a very capable director, and I actually liked his photography. His poetry not so much, and his singing very much not, but I always gave him a lot of credit for just getting out there and doing whatever artistic thing he felt inspired to do, and fuck what anyone else thought.

• Like Like x 3
  15. redravin

16. Ozmanitis

Those numbnuts will find any excuse to get in the paper.

17. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Fuck Westboro. If there is a hell, there is a special place in it, just for them.

Like so many here and elsewhere, Star Trek and Spock had such a great influence on us. Some of my earliest memories was playing Star Trek with my friends in daycare. At that time, I hadn't even watched the show. Friends who could afford Cable TV and get the clear signal from Buffalo has seen and loved it. It wasn't until I visited their houses that I got to see it. For me, Star Trek was an oral tale told to me by those who wanted to share the good news.

My friend Brian was always Spock, I was always Bones. I wonder what happened to Brian, and Jimmy, who played Scotty. Kirk, who was always played by Brett, found me on Facebook recently. ---butI digress.

Nimoy and his embodiment of Spock, has informed so many of us. Sure, for some it's just an entertaining bit of nostalgia, for others it was a reason to embrace science and curiosity. For me it was all of that and a career in TV. I wanted to tell stories that could change the world.

• Like Like x 3
  18. redux

redux Very Tilted

Nimoy was born in Boston and a lifelong fan of Boston sports teams.

One of his last tweets: "Patriots!! Don't ever count Brady out. LLAP"

This made me smile:

19. omega

omega Very Tilted

It is Mr. Spock.

20. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

A friend of mine posted on Facebook, "Lord, may I live my life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church wants to picket my funeral. Then I shall know I have done good in Your sight."

• Like Like x 5