1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Travelin'

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Poetry, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

I've been wanting to go travel across Europe and Asia for a number of months and I struck onto the idea of using Pintrest to map out tourist spots, restaurants, cafes, hotels, hostels, festivals, and whatever else I found interesting per country. That way, whenever the money/mood strikes, I can pop open my Pintrest and have the skeleton of a plan laid out for me.

So, fellow TFPers... what would be on your Pintrest list? In any country, really. Where are those bucket list locations or festivals? What do you want to do and see before you die?

Links appreciated!!

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

For start Milan (why?, because for some reason, it's cheaper to fly there and it's in the center of everything so a good train pass will be good for other places...plus it's Milan)
    Also I've been looking at northern Portugal, around Viana do Castelo (some nice full winery estates to buy for 300K off the river and the coast, no shit)
    Amsterdam (for debauchery)
    Ibiza (for more debauchery)
    Vienna
    Venice

I'm actually trying to think not like a tourist...but more like someone who goes normally for family or business...and see the less standard places.

China, Japan, Australia, Africa, etc...
    I'm hoping to have learned many languages by then since I adopt them so readily, in dialect and accent too. (it's a matter of being immersed into it...being ther and using it)

The new perm position on salary and flexible hours will give me a chance to do it...and my school is online and year-round so that helps too...and being single has its advantages too.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I think everyone knows Japan is my no. 1. It would take me forever to list all of the things I want to experience there. Mostly I want to eat. A lot. Saveur just published an article on depachika yesterday and it promptly made me hungry. For Tokyo's Best Food, Go Downstairs | SAVEUR That's just one example, though. There are also all of the ryokan I have bookmarked, the pilgrimage trails, the shrines. Pinterest might be a good way to organize it all, frankly. There's a lot of stuff.

I visited Europe for 2 weeks at 18 (the Netherlands-Paris-London), and would love to go back and see more. I'd love to go to Germany, Spain, Italy, Croatia, etc., beyond just the Netherlands and France. It's a bit problematic, though, as I have family in NL that fully expects to see me should I make it to their continent. It's not really any trouble, though, because they mostly live in the south and it would be really easy to visit them before setting off on a tour of Belgium's great breweries. Or we could just take them with us--my cousins are pretty cool. Regardless, my Pinterest list for Europe would be similar to the one for Japan--pretty food-centric. When I go somewhere, I want to eat.

Our next trip is Hawaii for spring break (yay). It's just going to be a few days in Maui. There's probably no need for a Pinterest for that, but we are going to do the Road to Hana. And I love Hawaiian food. I'm going to eat musubi until I pop.

Bali is also on my list so I can go visit my RA from college. :D But what we would do there is totally up to him, as he's been living there a while. I'd probably also have to visit Singapore and @Charlatan on such a trip.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

If you didn't stop over in Singapore, I would be crushed. The food tour would be epic.

The best part (one of them anyway) of living in Singapore is how close we are to so many cool destinations: Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia/Bali, and Malaysia are all within 1 to 3 hours flying time. Australia, Hong Kong, China, Philippines, Japan, India, Sri Lanka, and Taiwan are all within 3.5 to 5.5 hours flying. Budget airlines here are good and inexpensive. It's kind of cool to be able to do a weekend trip to the beach in Thailand or Bali.

As for Pinteresting my travel list? I have been lucky that my job has taken me to many places. I am hoping to hit Australia's Margaret River this year. I'd like to hit northern Thailand and Cambodia (I've spent time in the south). New Zealand is high on my list of places. I'd also love to visit parts of South and Central America. These are all bigger trips. In the meantime work and fun takes me to destinations in the Singapore zone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Obviously, Israel is one of my all-time favorite destinations. I lived in Jerusalem for a year, and constantly long to go back and see it again. Tel Aviv gets talked up a lot, but honestly, it struck me as much like any other big European city-- nice, but nothing special. Tzfat (Safed), however, is amazing. Haifa is lovely, absolutely lovely. And I have a bit of a soft spot for Teveriya (Tiberias), though it's not particularly posh or sleek-- best shwarma I ever had was there, though. The winery tours in the Golan are awesome, too-- as good as anything I ever tried in Napa and Sonoma.

It's no secret that two of my favorite cities on earth are London and Rome. So I would totally go back to both, even though I've already been to both more than once already. But if I had the time and the money, I would also go to Edinburgh and Glasgow (Scotland) and to Dublin; to Paris, Marseilles, Strasbourg, and Bordeaux; to Prague and to Vienna; to Munich and to Berlin; to Copenhagen; to Amsterdam and to Rotterdam; to Bruges and to Brussels (Belgium); to Budapest and to Athens; and to Florence and Venice, Rimini and Bologna, Verona and Ravenna, Naples and Salerno.

Europe is really where my chief interests lie, and primarily in Northwestern Europe and the Mediterranean. I have close to zero interest in South America, Africa, and Polynesia; only slightly more interest in the Indian subcontinent, and barely middling interest in Australia/New Zealand and East Asia.

I would be more interested in the Middle East if it were safe for me to go to more of it.

There are places I enjoy visiting in the States and Canada, and some I would totally go back to. But the only one that I am crazy passionate about, and would 100% bucket list a return, is Hawaii. I am normally not a beaches-and-warm-oceans type, but Hawaii is maybe the most naturally stunning place I can conceive of, and because it's America, I don't feel so much like a colonizer exploiting the poor natives when I go there (since it seems like the majority of Hawaiians appear to be okay with being American citizens, though I wholly support their understandable impatience with the government failing to adequately aid them in preserving their culture and language). Mrs. Levite and I went to Kauai for our honeymoon, and have gone back three times since-- and we would totally go back again. I would love the chance to also go to Maui and the Big Island, both of which I hear are gorgeous and awesome, and if I got those done, I'd probably check out Oahu as well, if only for the chance to see the memorials at Pearl Harbor.

6. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I'm guessing that my interests are a bit different than yours; but my wife and I love hut to hut hiking. We've done it in New Zealand, Switzerland, and Italy. We see scenery that is a bit off the beaten path, interact with locals and tourists in a less hectic environment, and eat everyday, normal foods (which are generally incredible).

For more urban adventures, we hope to visit Greece and get back to Italy.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

• Like Like x 1
  8. snowy

I'd love to do some of this.

9. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Northern Ireland. For that matter the Ireland as well. I did the UK last summer and while England and Scotland were as I expected, Northern Ireland was not. I would like to go back there and just breath. It's beautiful. And small enough to manage.

for and Asian pic I would definitely consider NZ (okay, it's not Asia per se, but if you're over there...) Japan, Hong Kong (and the China thing) but don't overlook Sri Lanka. I spent 5 months there before their troubles, and now that it has settled down somewhat, there's nowhere more beautiful and full of culture (well, there's Ireland...) Sri Lanka is to India almost like Canada is to the US.

10. snowy

And from my experience in Toronto (many thanks to @kramus and his Lady), Sri Lankan food is amazing. Still one of the best meals I've had in my life--our dim sum expedition in T-dot is right up there, too.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

yes, lots of Lankans in the T-dot (??) both Sinhalese and newer Tamil immigrants from the last 30 years or so. they have built up some vibrant neighbourhoods with the associated restaurants. And there is a huge range and variety in their food.
    As for dim sum brunch - you can get that almost anywhere here.

12. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

does the oregon trail count?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

Only if you end up in Oregon!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Dying of dysentery has to count for something.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Protip: Go straight to Prague, avoid Budapest.

16. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I want to see everything. But I am near 50 and haven't see anything. relatively (relatively) speaking. I recommend walking.

• Like Like x 1