1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Tilted Sartorialism - The Menswear Thread

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Shadowex3, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Lindy's dress code conundrum made me realise we don't have a menswear thread. So here it is, a megathread for discussing suits and the like. What brands, cuts, and materials do you prefer for a suit, how do you wear your shirts and ties, what's a good pair of shoes to you, and of course whenever there's a great deal running (like Brooks Brothers putting their very respectable non-iron shirts on clearance).

To start off: Being hired as a teaching assistant and potential instructor I've been looking at expanding beyond a highschool leftover mens wearhouse suit and thrift store sportcoats, but I live in a wasteland so Brooks Brothers is all that's around. Being as slim and small as I am I'll probably go for a charcoal grey three piece in one of their slimmer cuts like the Fitzgerald or even Milano, hopefully I can catch an 1818 on sale and get a partial canvas.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2014
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

+1 on the Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts. I usually wait for their 3-for-whatever (usually $180-200 anymore) sales and grab them that way. They are some of the most durable yet classy looking shirts I've ever found at any price. Even though I'm not a skinny guy by any means, I still have to get a more fitted shirt, or have them taken in a touch. My neck size far exceeds the corresponding body size, lol. So I'd trend towards getting slim fit or the slimmest fit available unless you know that won't work for you.

As far as suits, I am usually fine with the nicer ones Men Wearhouse carries. Most of mine are Jones NY, Kenneth Cole, or Joseph Abboud. Again, if you wait for sales (they often have BOGO or BOGO for $100) you can get a reasonable deal. Earlier this year I got two, with all alterations, for about what a Brooks Brothers suit would've cost altered. I wear suits regularly, but not daily, so that's the sweet spot for me. I have Jones NY and Joseph Abboud suits that are 5-6 years old and still look very nice. To me it is worth spending a bit more for that durability. If you wear suits daily, it may be worth moving up. If you wear suits rarely, I'd say go to K&G or some other store that is more geared towards the discount crowd. You won't get the same long life, but if you are wearing it 3x a year, that isn't as important.

At the end of the day, one of the biggest keys is to get the right fit. Have it tailored properly. That'll make the suit look nicer right off the bat.

Wear the right shoes. Shoes are worth spending money on. Good ones will last a decade, and can be resoled if need be. And get manly belt. I recommend Saddleback Leather belts.

That covers more formal/dressy stuff. If there is interest I'll address more casual stuff later.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. omega

omega Very Tilted

I do have a cool hat for work. To reference an old halx thread, "my hat owns you!"

5. redux

redux Very Tilted

I get my suits from Jos A Banks. Conservative (dark), tailored, strait (not pleated) pants, cuffed. These are for business meetings and some social occasions.

One Calvin Klein tux that I wear 1-2x a year.

One standard blue blazer.

Regular business attire is more over-aged preppie. Dress pants (cuffed), mostly Oxford dress shirts, button down collar, lightly starched, the same loafers (Bass Weejuns) since high school. The tie is the area of individual expression and might be loud and/or make a statement (I have lots and lots of ties).

6. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Contributing:
    A good base wardrobe usually consists of a black and a gray or navy suit, if they're not textured, even better, as you can sometimes use the jackets as separates to dress up a pair of jeans (I know that goes against conventional wisdom, it'll depend on the cut and fit of the suit jacket). You'll want at least one pair of black shoes for the black suit and one pair of brown/tan shoes for the gray or navy suit.
    [​IMG]
    Once you build up your base wardrobe, you can start experimenting with different colors. As OP mentioned, Charcoal is a great color, as I find it dark enough to be formal, yet not too dark like black, so it won't appear that I'm attending a funeral or a black-tie event. I can usually pair off the charcoal with a white shirt and a tie that pops, and feel comfortable going to court, yet its still informal enough that I can go to happy hour or bar hopping after hours with that outfit (sans tie or jacket, your call).

For the more fashion-forward, lighter colored suits can be used to stand out, but I would caution against using them for formal events, unless you dress them down. Here I am in a silver suit, I stuck on a white shirt and black tie to avoid being too loud:
    [​IMG]

One of my favorite pairs of shoes right now are double-monk straps. These can be dressed up with a suit, and add a bit of style by having buckles in lieu of more formal laces, or, you can wear them with jeans for just the right hit of style.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Snazzy.

8. omega

omega Very Tilted

It's so easy to look good in a suit when you have a slender build. I look like a boulder that someone stuck a tent over. For example, I have a marmot soft shell jacket that I got almost ten years ago. I have tried on numerous ones since then. I can't find one that fits. A XXL fits the torso, but doesn't allow room in the shoulders to even extend my arms forward. Then the sleeves are skintight on my arms. And the sleeves are about five inches too long. So consider yourself lucky in that respect. I could never have a suit fit me that well.

9. Borla

Tailoring, tailoring, tailoring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  10. omega

omega Very Tilted

For me, that costs almost as much as the suit from men's wearhouse. Neck roll, below the neck. Sleeves. Take in the waist of the jacket. Move the buttons. Take in the waist of the pants. Adjust the inseam. Take up the pants. Add braces buttons.

11. Borla

Trust me, I feel your pain.

I bought two suits earlier this year from Men's Wearhouse. I had to have the pants taken in, inseam adjusted, and the legs finished. For the jackets I had to have the sleeves done, the sides taken in, the back taken in, and on one of the them the vents closed. Basically every seam on the jackets had to be adjusted some way or another. It means a $475 suit has about $100-120 extra put into it. So I did it when they had BOGO (doesn't make alterations on the second one free) and got two for about $800 after tax.

12. omega

omega Very Tilted

And none of those men wear a suit as well as kirstang. Look at the blousing in the pants to accommodate giant thighs and beefy asses. The extra material to handle larger arms and shoulders. The jackets have to drape over them. And all those men have MONEY.

13. Borla

My wife's vote is that Dwayne Johnson looks best in his. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

To be fair Men's Wearhouse is about the cheapest suit you can get, and a lot of what you're describing is actually what you're supposed to do with any Off The Rack or even Made To Measure suit by default. Waist suppression, hemming, sleeve length, and the like are almost all standard tailoring that you should assume you'll have to have done to anything that isn't made bespoke or by a very good MTM tailor. Mass market suits are basically boxes of fabric designed to fit as many different body types as possible so you get things like very wide armholes, which is what causes the shoulder-restriction you mention on softshells. Wear something with the armscythe cut higher and you'll be able to reach all over the place without it binding or pulling.

Tell me about it. The last time I went to a Men's Wearhouse even their smallest suit fit me like a cardboard box, it would've basically needed to be rebuilt to fit me. With that and the fact I have to wear a suit at least a couple times a month it's better for me in the long run to pay more up front and get a much more durable suit that fits better to begin with.

And KirStang makes this shit look good. Have you ever thought about trying point collars or a narrower spread?

15. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I'm in my mid 40's.
    I wear a suit less than once a year, and I'm proud to say I can still wear one that I wore to interview for med school about 25 years ago.

I have zero fashion sense, but do I have to add that after what I posted above?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I actually hate wearing suits. Fortunately, my congregation is pretty laid back, so most Shabbatot I can get away with slacks, vest, and tie. I got my suits from the Men's Wearhouse, got some of my slacks there also. But some come from Big and Tall stores, like Casual Male.

My compensation to myself for having to wear ties (which I just loathe) is that I get fun tie bars. I have one with the Rebel insignia from Star Wars, one with a Starfleet insignia from Trek, and one with the emblem of SHIELD, in addition to a couple more reserved and professional ones with just a Star of David.

Mostly, I like casual, and since I do a lot of my work online or over the phone, I can get away with it. Jeans, t-shirts, untucked button-downs with the sleeves rolled up, bandana do-rag (Mrs. Levite calls it my "pirate hat"). I would wear sneakers, too, except I need more supportive shoes than that. I get my shoes from San Antonio Shoes. They are fugly shoes, but they are so far and away the most comfortable, supportive things I have ever had on my feet, I feel like it's totally worth it. In the summer I get sandals from them, too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Hubby recently purchased some incredible cowboy boots. They do wonders for his posture.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Borla

I've threatened my wife with that idea a few times. Totally not my thing, and not as common here in the Midwest, but some of them are pretty sweet.

19. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Superfeet makes insoles for everything from oxfords to combat boots, I can fit their green insoles in most casual shoes and black insoles in even a fairly tight pair of Cole Haans I found at a thrift store.

20. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Michael Strahan does it best in the pic above (far right)
    The key to being a big man in a suit is to get shirts where the neck fits well and comfortably.
    And the suit is longer to off-set the beefy build. Shoulders shouldn't bind. I find that three button suits do the trick. (since I'm bigger myself)

Often men rush in buying suits, saying whatever...it's fine, it fits.
    But you've got to wait to find that right suit. Make sure it suits you. (no pun intended)
    The cut and style is most important. Don't rush. Try many.

It doesn't have be expensive either. (K&G is a good place with a lot of sales, just sign up for their mailer...wait to strike)

• Like Like x 1