1. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Telegram warning

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by rogue49, Sep 7, 2024.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

How Telegram became a destination for criminals, extremists and terrorists

A PSA and FYI, you might want to consider removing Telegram from both phones & systems.
    The pervasive bad guys, not only send propaganda, but they often hack too. (easy targets in easy reach)

Basic premise, where there's smoke, there's fire.
    Or if you see roaches & mold...then it's likely growing other places.
    Out of sight, out of mind is not a good habit here.
    Ignorance is NOT bliss.

Your choice, but I'm not a cybersecurity geek for nothing
    And there's a reason the Russian CEO was arrested.

(* nothing against Russian people, but there IS a pattern/trend of bad seeds and activities connected to that nation,
    it seems to be their govt's MO, "chaos to the enemy" or "when they're weak/distracted, we gain" ...and the VIPs are often SOBs)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The article mentions Discord, which makes me wonder about Odyssey. Both are popular with firearms enthusiasts, many of whom are rightfully POd at YouTube (Google) for its arbitrary treatment of firearms channels. I stay away from both sites because they welcome the hard-right assmouths who spew lie after lie, & I DO NOT trust their security efforts, if they have any.

Edited for clarification.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2024
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

So far, I haven't encountered much difficulty with Discord.
    I've used it often for online RPGs.
    Yes, there are server invites to adult oriented areas, but they've seemed harmless and not aggressive. I usually leave after a quick review...anything any remotely questionable, I'm out.
    But most of them are for people to interact, like this board.
    And certainly none that's been pushing bad activities or propaganda. That would set my Spidey-sense off quick. Again, where there's smoke, there's fire.

Telegram has been a bit different, almost all of it has been adult fare. And nothing much else, mostly a wannabe OnlyFans.
    Frankly, I haven't seen any bad seeds, other than your typical bad girl scams/hacker hangouts/webs.
    But my intuition has noted something "off" about it over time...like there's "something else".

IMHO, I feel it's better to be safe than sorry...and throw it in the trash. You can always re-establish it later for free.
    Same point I made with TikTok...once I found out that it was run by Chinese firms with questionable tactics and the govt was putting up red-flags, I dumped it.

1. One less time waster. 2 and more important, the trend is that China has been a wild west gun gang hackers, stealing everything and hijacking left and right.
    (Hey, nothing against, Chinese people but like Russia, the nation has been doing some Dick Dastardly nefarious things. Russia being a instigator and chaos maker...and China wanting to swipe info for their own use and products)

That other app, I have no idea of...so I have no comment on that.
    But it's something to consider before using, if that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Hang on...

I think I confused Rumble with Discord.

Many/most people probably haven't
    heard of Rumble and Odyssey.