1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Science question - with technology available today, could a human climb a 35,500 foot mountain?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Strange Famous, May 21, 2016.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Everest is 29,000 feet and is close to the limit of what someone can climb without oxygen (and deadly for someone people who have it even)

But with all the technology we have right now, could we climb a 35,500 foot mountain? (the tallest one on the moon).

Assuming it was in the Himalayas, and it was technically difficult but not impossible (same technical difficulty and climate conditions as K2), would it be possible? The people have to get to the top only by climbing (ie no getting dropped on top of it by airplane) and get back down again alive.

_

Was thinking about it as I climbed/walked up Mount Snowdon last week (all of 3500 feet!!)

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

It's not the height that makes it truly deadly.
    It's the storms.

So a mountain on the moon wouldn't be much different.
    A person equipped for either a moon walk or space walk could do it.
    As long as there was easily climbable terrain.
    Because the same equipment would make it more difficult to move. (although, there's less gravity)

But the storms tear things up.
    Winds. Ice. Avalanches. etc.
    Plus dealing with that crisis uses up more of your resources faster. (you're breathing heavier and such)

3. Strange Famous

Sorry I didn't explain properly, I meant if you transported Mons Huygens to the Himalayas.

Even getting to the moon is the absolute limit of what we can do now, so climbing a mountain on the moon would be ridiculous. But could someone climb another 6000 feet over Everest on earth?
    With the same climate and technical challenges as K2 (so not impossible but very tough) but also the challenges of the altitude.

They can use oxygen, they can use any kind of pressurised suit, but only if it gives a person enough freedom of movement to do difficult technical climbing, and to carry the supplies and shelter to be able to survive storms.

4. rogue49

Still, it's the storms that kill people.
    They occur unexpectedly.

Unless you put up periodic indestructible camps on the way up...there's no way to shelter them.
    And even those may be buried.

Unless the storms or wind shear calms down above a certain altitude (which I doubt), it wouldn't make a difference.
    Even the Sherpas get killed getting caught in them.

I don't think it's the height or climb that's the problem. (or as much of it)

5. Strange Famous

Height definitely makes a difference

At 29000 feet the air pressure is 1/3 that of sea level.
    In real terms that means the oxygen content in the air is 6.9% at the top of Everest. Without extra oxygen you could survive at that height for 3-4 days maybe.

What kills so many people on high mountains is the combination of facing challenges (hard climbing, bad weather) combined with barely being able to breathe. The storms on K2 can trap people for days on the end, and to give a margin of error you have to have enough food and shelter on the mountain to be able to sit them storm out. You also need fuel to melt snow to be able to drink (because melting it yourself would take too much energy out of you) Going another 6000 feet would be a massive logistical challenge. But I am not sure (even with oxygen) that people could function to the degree of being able to do hard work at 35,000 feet. Without canned oxygen I am 99% sure nobody could survive for more than minutes at that height.

6. rogue49

You'd have to have a fully pressurized suit similar to what they for moon walks or space walks (or high altitude flights with no pressurized cabin.)
    Plus they'd have to be ruggedized...so they won't tear during the climb. (or a fall)

Finally, you'd have to have either periodic camps (also pressurized) to allow eating and drinking (and emptying)
    or figure out a method to allow it without a camp...while keeping pressure/oxygen.

---

However, I don't think it's the storms trapping people there that does them in.
    It's the cold, the wind and being buried in snow. (or blown off a cliff...)
    From what I've read...the deaths are quick...not lingering.

Sure, a some are stranded...but most don't even get to that point during a storm.
    Of course, this is only what I've read about...I'm not a SME.

7. rogue49

Two people just died from altitude sickness - Link

But most don't die from this...as noted in a Wiki list

I'd say if your greater mountain existed....and if they'd have oxygen, if not pressurized suits
    then most would die from greater odds of exhaustion, falls, avalanches and harsher winds & storms.
    The longer you're up there...the longer your risk.

Me, I'll stay at safer locations.
    Then again, I like driving fast...so we all pick our poison. :eek:

8. rogue49