1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Wait... what? How sad.

3. Borla

Early articles I'm reading say that he's been fighting the flu for a couple of weeks, had cancelled some appearances due to it.

He was 57, so that seems way too young to just die of the flu unless there were some crazy complications.

4. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

He also had diabetes for years. He was hospitalized on the 15th for the flu.

5. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Not a fan; but damn, it's a bad year to be a rock star.

• Like Like x 1
  6. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

That was almost my verbatim response when I heard.

7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It was impossible to have grown up in the '80s without having had your head filled with the infectious grooves of Prince.

RIP.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

9. Borla

10. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I woke up this morning to this news and just don't know what to do with it yet.

What is up with this year?

11. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

His guitar brings it home here.
    A great loss.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

His talent, which includes his often overlooked guitar playing, and his impact on music are immeasurable.

My wife & I went to a h-u-g-e New Years Eve party at the Hyatt Regency hotel (a co-worker won the tickets on a radio station call-in, but she and her husband didn't have and couldn't afford the required dress clothes) in 1999. Take a wild guess as to what song we heard many times that night.

My exposure to Prince's music was pretty much limited to what I heard on the radio and when friends would play his albums. Some of the musicians I know have a deep respect for his music, even if they're not fans. To me that speaks volumes about his talent.

2016 has been a bad year for musician's deaths. Many of them passed away way too young.
    --- merged: Apr 22, 2016 11:50 AM ---

The first time I saw that video my reaction was to Prince was, "That arrogant little prick just couldn't stop himself from stealing the show during the George Harrison tribute." It wasn't until later I learned that Prince was inducted into the RRHOF that night.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2016
  14. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

[​IMG]

Saw this one today, and it hit me harder than I would've thought. It surprises me (but only a little) how many people loved him. Or, at the very least, respected/appreciated him.

From a Wired article: "Who knows how many lonely teenagers, regardless of sex or race or gender, took inspiration from this soft-spoken, Midwestern boy who wore and sang whatever he wanted, who mixed with genres that had normally been kept in separate silos, and apologized for none of it? Prince, much like David Bowie or Madonna, bestowed upon his fans a giant permission slip, one that allowed them to be as strange or outrageous as they wanted to be. With Prince, experimentation was never taboo; it was simply a sign o’ the times."

15. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

[​IMG]

(Yeah, I grew up listening to him too...)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  17. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

But life is just a party, and parties weren't meant 2 last.

~1999

• Like Like x 1
  18. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

just four years between us. I've been listening to Prince Roger Nelson all my adult life. Stationed at Edwards AFB we partied to his music way too often;) I have always been a fan, and the chicks....Geez Good Days fond memories

19. I never realized how many of his songs are tied to important people and events in my life. Every time I hear a tribute, it reminds me of something/someone awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Borla

What Prince song am I?