1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CinnamonGirl, Aug 6, 2016.

1. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

The Games kicked off tonight in Rio. A lot of controversy with these games, but I quite enjoyed the opening ceremonies. In retrospect, I wish I'd found a BBC stream, though...NBC's coverage leaves a lot to be desired (do we really need commercials every five minutes? )

I'm most looking forward to gymnastics, but also hoping to catch some beach volleyball & polo matches. Also hyped for the US Women's soccer team, and I always manage to at least catch the finals for swimming, diving, and track.

Do you keep up with the Olympics? What sports are your favorites? What teams do you root for apart from your home country? Are there certain athletes you watch specifically?

Gotta say, I'm pulling hard for the Independent & the Refugee teams after Team USA. And Congo after that, since they've never won a medal.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I'll watch Judo, since I used to practice it. Otherwise, I'm more interested in the winter games.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Some of the over dramatization and commercialization turn me off, but I'll tune in occasionally. I think it would be cool if some of the Independent or Refugee athletes do well, though the hurdles they have (pun, hah!) make that seem like a long shot.

I'll probably watch some basketball, just because I'm a fan. I also like watching Bolt run, that dude is just plain incredible.

Here is a fascinating little comparison for anyone who enjoys the sprinting:
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/08/05/sports/olympics/the-100-meter-dash-one-race-every-medalist-ever.html?_r=0

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Watched some volleyball this morning, and now we're on to women's rugby and men's water polo. I love watching sports I don't normally get to see on television. I love watching women's judo in particular.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CinnamonGirl

Fun fact: Kayla Harrison, who took the gold for judo in London, is from my hometown. :) There are also a couple Cincinnati natives on the volleyball teams, and a whole host of Ohio State alum.

USA scored the first gold medal of the Games. Ginny Weasley Thrasher won the 10m Rifle event.

I get out of work at 6 am tomorrow, so I'll probably stay up for a bit and watch the women's gymnastics events. I also got really into women's water polo during the London Games, so I'll try to catch as many of those events as I can. I've got swimming on right now, but I'm only listening as I do other things at the moment.

6. Borla

7. CinnamonGirl

Yes. I really hate NBC's coverage in particular. But I'm a bit of a sap and still believe in the spirit of the games...bringing the world together, if only for a couple weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I watched the opening ceremonies, as well. Understood about 3/4ths of it. Glad they had someone interpreting the dancing and other activities. Really enjoyed when the gentleman sang their national anthem and the Brazilians sang along.

Been watching a few different sports aired today, men and women's volleyball, biking, a little swimming.
    Very happy we got the first gold.

I saw a picture of a very unfortunate French gymnast who broke his leg during a routine. :oops:
    Hopefully further injuries are kept to a minimum.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the games. I usually reserve my sports watching for Olympics, World Cups, various tennis championships and the Super Bowl.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Does anyone know where to find an accurate schedule, such as exact times, of televised events? I seriously despise having to sit through events of no interest to me in the hopes of seeing an event that does interest me.

10. Borla

2016 Rio Olympics Full Schedule | NBC Olympics

• Like Like x 2
  11. CinnamonGirl

I stayed up way later this morning to catch women's gymnastics...only to find it wasn't being aired. And now I just saw a status on faceyspace that says gymnastics starts in 15 minutes? I'm so confused. And bummed that I won't be able to watch much. At least I'll be able to watch more during the week.

--- merged: Aug 7, 2016 at 4:57 PM ---

Canada! Your men's volleyball team is looking good!

....maybe tone it done a little since you're playing us, eh ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2016
  12. Chris Noyb

Thanks.

It took me a while to figure out how that schedule works (sometimes I'm not very smart), but at least now I have a reference for what is listed to be shown at definite (give or take) times.

• Like Like x 2
  13. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

The local coverage in Oz is so crap. Full of ads and sooooooooooo focused on Aussies to the exclusion of everyone else (to the point of replaying something that's already happened over something happening right now. Terribl time zone for us too - unless you are insomniac or don't have a day job :(

• Like Like x 3
  14. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

It's happening here, too, in the States. I dvr'd a 4 hour selection of events and it turned out it repeated everything 3 times. smh...

15. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I streamed some of the swimming events while we were out last night. The bar had synchronized diving and gymnastics on, and I was able to stream from the NBC app without issue during the men's 100m breast and the women's 400m free so we were able to just tune in for that while still watching the other stuff.

What cracks me up is that my husband is seemingly unable to resist any opportunity he gets to rib me about Free! every time we watch a men's swimming event.

16. Borla

Tell me who has a more pointless job than this guy....

[​IMG]

I doubt a life guard for Olympic swimming has occasion to rescue many people. :p

• Like Like x 4
  17. Borla

• Like Like x 1
  18. omega

omega Very Tilted

• Like Like x 2
  19. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I was watching when that Poor bicyclist crashed. She was in the lead and having the race of her life when the rear tire came out under her do to the wet road. 3 fractured vertebrate and a concussion. I still feel bad for her.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chris Noyb

Kerri Walsh Jennings & April Ross destroyed the Chinese team, the second set wasn't even close to being competitive (I stayed up just to watch this).

On a completely personal bias note:
    I'm happy to see that Ross has cut back, at least so far, on running her mouth.