1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #80: What's Stopping You?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Jun 28, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

What's stopping you?

Everyone wants something. Do you want a dream, an item, or both?
    What stands in your way?
    What are some little goals that might help you to get there?

2. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Not having money.

Mrs. Levite and I aren't the kind of rabbis that get paid a lot. If it were just the two of us, we'd be living fine. But with two kids....

It's not that we want a lot of stuff. We're not materialists. But I've got a lot of student loan debt I'm still paying off, and we both have medical expenses, and so forth....

Mostly what we'd want money for other than paying the bills is to buy time. To pay for vacations-- not even always travel, just time to ourselves-- evenings out without the kids (babysitting is so expensive), and so on.

• Like Like x 3
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Time
    Money
    Discipline
    Distractions

Or just zoning and vegging after dealing with everything that I've have to deal with.
    I'm not a big "Goal" person or obsessive either. So that doesn't help push it.

Fortunately, I'm ambitious.
    And when I finally do execute, I'm fast and efficient.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Myself.

I hold myself back on all fronts. I can't ever reach higher unless I'm pushed by outside forces. I make gambles at time, but always by the seat of my pants.

Right now, with the right motivation... I could change my business into something big. I hold back in fear of failure and because deep down I hate myself to much to really become something great.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Nothing?

Age, health, common sense?

I'm comfortable with where I'm at. Everything is a trade off and a compromise, I'm OK with the decisions that I've made.

I've always dreamed of a 100 day ski season. My knees disagree, 34 will just have to do. Toss in that trip on the AT or cross country motorcycle ride.
    I might be able to afford a Ferrari if I dump the wife and sell the house.

Damn common sense getting in the way, again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

By and large, my health. I have a lot of motivation most days. But my body's limitations hold me back. It has been a challenge to learn how to work within those limitations, especially since they are always changing. I will get there.

7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Eden is my brother from another mother sometimes. His post is exactly what my last 30 years has been like. It has taken a strong partner and a lot of threats and hard times.
    Tomorrow, I'm moving to a new city, to a new job where I'm poised to bring in more than double what I've ever made, as a valuable employee. I'm running, which I hate, and eating healthy, but I tend to slack. I am lazy by nature which was really hard to admit to myself. I'd prefer to wait until the last minute to do most things, to curl up in bed with a good book, etc. But I'm learning to enjoy being active and getting things done on time and in time to better manage my anxiety.

Edit: I HAVE BEEN the biggest thing holding me back. Not any more.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Nothing is holding me back. I have accomplished so much in the past 3 years.

I am happy professionally. Academically. Personally. This is the best I have ever felt in a looooooong time.

I love my job and am on a trajectory of greatness.

I'm going slowly, but I am on the right track to earn my MBA with stellar grades.

I love my man and my daughter. Cats are awesome too. My body may not reflect it to the outside world, but I'm pretty damn healthy. The MS isn't even dragging me down.

Everything is awesome.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

You are amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I know. :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

fear.

fear of failure

fear of success

pick one on any day.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Lack of time
    Risk adverse
    Procrastination
    And I don't finish things

In a few months I will have free time again without a 9-6 job, and I have enough savings to survive for a few years. So, we will see what happens.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to increase the value of my investment book because, as an investor, that's how the score is kept.;)

But as an investor, I'm capital constrained. That means that my assets are mostly tied up in investments of varying liquidity, such that if I see what looks to be an attractive investment, lacking cash, I must sell one of my current investments to make the new investment.

Which usually involves some back-loaded costs and tax consequences, so if I need capital in a hurry, it can cost $120k to get $100k. I'm mostly happy with my investments, but it would be nice to have more cash on hand.

The value of my book varies, but I'm probably in the top 5-6% in assets, certainly not to be complained about, but only in the top 20% as far as income goes. I live relatively modestly but comfortably so I try to increase my investments out of income, but that is slow going.

• Like Like x 2
  14. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Give it time...that's why Warren Buffett's bio is called "The Snowball" :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Really, I don't feel "stopped". I'm fairly comfortable where I'm at, which can be good and bad. Yes, I'd like a few more pennies. Yes, I'd like a few less constraints on my time. But in general I feel like I can get where I want to in most aspects of life.

But in general my limitations are usually imposed by a lack of self-discipline. :p

• Like Like x 2
  16. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Have you looked into hard money lending? I have yet to do it myself but the new adventure it will be one of the tools.

17. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Finances. My past. Working on overcoming these things, but it's difficult and frustrating. I want to go back and smack some sense into my 20ish year old self.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kung Fu Kid

Kung Fu Kid Vertical

Lack of strong finances to fall back on if my dreams don't come to reality.

• Like Like x 1
  19. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I see a lot about money here. The Fucking Hi way Patrol is stopping me. I was clicking down a 3 mile County Road that has no stop signs, singing with Jr strapped in his Nascar ready car seat when I saw him turn onto the road heading the opposite direction. As I blew by him I checked the drivers side mirror and he was doing a u turn like the Dukes of Hazard. I hit the brakes and pulled over, his cherries and berries never came on. Had my info in hand and the window down when he walked up. He didn't get a chance to speak when I said " Good morning Sir, I have no idea how fast I was going. " handed him my info. " 70 in a 45 " he was actually nice and easy to get a long with. Kept both hands on the wheel as well. So I say " you guys don't usually patrol this road so I was nailing it." He laughed just a little. Wrote the ticket for 60. And said " I can't give you a warning. " I said " No Sir, Thank you and have a safe day." 250$ it's awash in my favour, I've been speeding on that road for 10 yrs.

• Like Like x 1