1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food QOTD #76: What is your favorite breakfast cereal?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by genuinemommy, Jun 6, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Tell me about your favorite cereals.
    Why do you like it?
    Sugary?
    Healthy?
    What do you like most?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Today I almost never eat cereal. I honestly bet it's been a couple of years since I've sat down and had a bowl, I can't remember the last time.

Like a lot of kids, I think, I grew up eating it all the time. The really "good" stuff was usually too expensive or not healthy enough to get my mom to buy. I love stuff like Coco Puffs or Lucky Charms. Often I could get her to compromise and buy some Frosted Flakes or Honeycombs. My favorite part was eating a sugary cereal, then getting to drink the milk that was full of the residual sugar at the bottom. :p

3. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Coffee?

I'm just not a breakfast person. I'll eat oatmeal; but it's probably been a couple of years.

• Like Like x 1
  4. omega

omega Very Tilted

I don't eat cereal but I do eat breakfast. Just not often breakfast type foods. My girls are almost 6, and today one had rice krispies and the other had honey nut cheerios. They also like captain crunch and lucky charms.

5. These days I go between Special K Red Berry and this yummy granola I get at the local Farmers' market. I only see the granola from April to November. Otherwise we have a large inventory of SKRB in our garage thanks to DaddySquirrel's thrifty Costco Shopping. ToddlerSquirrel is a fan of SKRB. I like the crunchy goodness of the granola. It's great with milk or yogurt. SKRB is sweet, and somewhat good for me. I don't just eat cereal at breakfast time. I don't eat any breakfast foods at breakfast time.

Growing up, I would prefer Captain Crunch Berries with my Saturday Morning Cartoon lineup. It cut up the roof of my mouth something awful, but it was worth it.

6. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I eat lots of cereal for breakfast. I usually stick with the healthy stuff and eat it with skim milk.
    I eat two bowls each morning; the second is something sweeter.
    I often start with Grape Nuts or Cheerios with whatever berries we have, typically blackberries/strawberries/blueberries depending on the season.
    The other one I have first a lot is called Mu Mu Muesli. (Mu Mu Muesli is the best muesli cereal. Better Than Granola!). It's locally made granola cereal and you want to let it soak in milk for at least 20 minutes before eating.

Second small bowl of sweeter cereal: Mountain Rise Organic Granola, cocoa or vanilla flavored. Also locally made. (Mountain Rise Organics :: Granola, Herbs, Bath & Body :: Finger Lakes :: Naples, New York :: Mountain Rise Granola :: Glenn & Marcia Litwiller). I mix in dried cherries or cranberries.

I usually have breakfast at 0600, ride mi bicycle to work and then can't eat til after noon. It's the only way I can make it to lunch without being starving hungry!

7. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I haven't had cereal in a while...I go through phases, though, where I'll eat a whole box within a week. Favorites are probably Apple Cinnamon Cheerios or Kashi's Cinnamon Harvest.

As a kid, I loved Lucky Charms. I would eat all the cereal bits first, then chow down on pure marshmallow goodness. I'm sure my parents loved that. :)

Edited to add: I no longer enjoy the super-sugary stuff that I did as a kid. I guess I lean more towards "healthy," with a touch of cinnamon or vanilla or whatever. Kashi is a big favorite of mine, though pricier, so I don't buy it as often as I'd like.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  8. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Hands-down my favorite dry cereal is Kashi Organic Promise Sprouted Grains. Though for decades I was a Corn Flakes gal. I also really love plain shredded wheat. I honestly don't eat cereal often as a breakfast, since my morning routine involves microwaving an egg or grabbing a protein bar. Cereal is usually an afternoon snack, to get me through that gaping hole of hungry time between lunch and dinner.

My husband eats cereal every morning for breakfast. He usually goes with Raisin Bran or Granola. Before kids, we would make our own granola. We haven't taken the time in a few years, but it is sooo good... I miss it. He's not picky about the brands, but he NEEDS cereal. If we're out of cereal, it throws off his whole morning. My daughters snack on cheerios and various equivalents. When we went on vacation, my daughter found "colorful cheerios" (fruit loops) at the hotel and insisted on eating them every morning.

9. I tried introducing ToddlerSquirrel to Fruit Loops and she didn't want anything to do with them. I thought it would be a special treat for her.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

When I was a kid Mom was dead against sugary cereal.

We rarely even had "kiddie cereal" in the house. Cold cereals were usually something like Wheaties, corn flakes, shredded wheat, or grape nuts. Steel cut oatmeal or bulgur in cold weather.

We lived on a farm, and would often have an evolving batch of scrambled eggs. Bacon, sausage, chorizo, veggies, mushrooms in one pan, then spooned into another pan where the eggs were cooking. And toast or potatoes. Weekends sometimes waffles or pancakes served with real cream and molasses, rarely syrup.

As an adult, since I follow a fairly low carb regime I don't eat much cereal, and hardly ever for breakfast, except for oatmeal in the winter. Bran flakes as an evening snack, or if I feel like I need more fiber. And like @zombiesquirell, I find fresh granola at farmers' markets. It's hard to find granola that isn't loaded up with sugar.

This is a bit weird, but as a kid Mom used to give us a bowl of Wheaties with a scoop of ice cream on top as a treat. I still like ice cream with cereal flakes or granola on top.

I love the cold ice cream with the crumbly crunchy texture of the cereal!:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Not for breakfast anymore...it wouldn't do the trick. Maybe for a desert...or if I have a craving.
    Mostly Frosted Flakes.
    Sometimes Captain Crunch's peanut butter flavor...or Life
    Maybe Raisin Bran

not much else...although I used to love Boo Berry :p

12. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Also, though not as breakfast, I like some kinds of Chexmix for snacks, especially my mom's which she calls ChexMex with cumin and ground dried chiles.

13. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Cinnamon toast crunch, fruit loops

14. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Ooh, I didn't think about hot cereal. I love oatmeal. I don't eat it as much in the summer, but it's almost a daily thing during the winter. I usually go with maple or plain with some berries. Yum.

Also, cornflakes & ice cream: SO GOOD.

• Like Like x 1
  15. This morning my demon spawn was singing, "Cereal! Cereal! CEREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!" I didn't recognize the tune, but it was fun.

• Like Like x 2
  16. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I like Grape Nuts with some sugar and milk. Mostly for supper.

17. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

So your spawn is a cereal killer?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I don't eat a lot of cereal these days. Mostly because it's very expensive here (oddly the sugary cereals are cheap, the healthier options are costly).

When I am back in Canada (or when the opportunity presents itself here) I reach for Shreddies. When they do appear on shelves here, they are between $10 and $15 per box (and not the family sized box). In Canada they are less than half that for the large box.

Summer is coming.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

These days I very rarely eat cold breakfast cereal, it's been years. My wife likes the Mueslix-type cereals, but we don't buy it. From what I've read, there are very few cold cereals that aren't loaded with sugar, even the ones that are basically tasteless.

As a kid we always had Raisin Bran because that was the only cereal my father liked. When we had the money, we'd get a box of Lucky Charms because my sisters liked it. I don't remember having a favorite, but I did like one that had a good maple flavor. The name Buckwheat comes to mind, but that might be incorrect; it most definitely was not the same as the Buckwheat sold today.

We do occasionally eat hot oatmeal.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Basically, my favorite is Grape Nuts, to which I add a healthy sprinkling of golden raisins.

But I also enjoy a 50/50 mix of Raisin Bran and Corn Flakes, or sometimes I'll do Product 19 and Corn Flakes and add my own damn raisins. Occasionally I get a yen for either Special K (original, plain) or Rice Krispies-- either of which is actually great as a light snack. And once in a blue moon, I'll eat either Cheerios (original, plain) or Kix.

I can't abide sugary cereals. Mrs. Levite adores them, which tends to make me shudder. She eats shit like Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Apple Jacks, Honeycomb, Corn Pops, and so on. I think when she was pregnant with Little Levite, she even asked for Cookie Crisp once. It's so gross.

Anyhow, in the realm of hot cereals, I like steel cut oatmeal. Got to be steel cut. Rolled oats just don't have the right texture and consistency. I make it sweet and savory, cooked in 1/2 milk, 1/4 water, and 1/4 dry hard cider (flash-boiled to cook off the alcohol), with chopped up dried apple and dried pear and raisins, a little honey and a little brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and allspice, chopped up soy sausages, butter, salt, pepper, and a tiny dash of dry mustard. On a winter morning, I'll have a bowl of that, a couple of scrambled eggs, and I am good to go until like 3pm or so. Mrs. Levite is a big fan of this oatmeal also, as are Little Levite and Littler Levite.

I also very much enjoy cheese grits, which I make with the most well-aged cheddar I can find, and to which I usually add crumbled soy bacon-- but I make them much less frequently, because they're like the inverse of a healthy breakfast.

• Like Like x 1