1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #67: Have you seen Firefly?

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by genuinemommy, Mar 23, 2016.

?

Have you seen Firefly?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. What's that?

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Have you seen Firefly or Serenity?
    Do you like it?
    Do you have no idea what I'm talking about?

Share how you were introduced to the series. Or some stupid story around it. Or your favorite scene. Or anything Firefly-related.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Without googling, I have no idea what you are referring to.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

One doesn't simply "see" Firefly and Serenity; one lives it.

• Like Like x 5
  4. I remember watching it on broadcast television when it first ran. I was crushed when it got cancelled. My son stole my boxed set when he moved out west. I still love him, but forgiveness is difficult.

Christina Hendricks! Great character.
    Plus, Jewel, Morena and Summer.... fantastic cast, all around, really. Not just the hot women.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I'm a huge Whedon fan, but for whatever reason, didn't watch Firefly until after it was already cancelled. It didn't help that they moved the broadcast nights a couple times, and I was serving in the evenings then, so I never managed to catch it. Three different people recommended it to me within a week (probably after discussing my love of Buffy and Angel), so I went out and bought the boxset. A mostly accurate description of my binge-watch:

[​IMG]

I loved everything about the show. The cast. The dialogue. The relationships. The humor. Everything. Had it gone on for more seasons ( :( ), I'm fairly certain I would've ended up liking it more than Buffy.

Edited to add: And it still has a very strong presence at Dragon Con (well, and online, for that matter.) I've cosplayed as Kaylee and Mal (and seen plenty of others dressed as every other character), and gone to both a cast panel and a "Firefly drinking songs" panel (both were awesome and hilarious.)

--- merged: Mar 23, 2016 at 5:46 PM ---

Oh, and also:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It was one of the first things my husband and I watched together.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I love both. I only discovered Firefly after the Serenity movie, but I've now watched the series twice. I love Nathan Fillion in all of his narcissistic glory. Which makes me adore Castle. Is Ltd the next best thing. But it's missing Wash as the comedic counterpart. So much fun.

Whike watching the new Star Wars, I totally had a flashback of Serenity when the stepped out of the back of the ship into the sand. :) Kaylee and Rey look slightly similar as well. Vaguely and slightly. Just a little whisper of familiarity.

• Like Like x 1
  8. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Loved the series and the movie broke my geek heart in ways that it will never recover.

• Like Like x 3
  9. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

You and me both, man. :(

• Like Like x 1
  10. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Then I'm very glad i saw the move first.

11. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

One of the great tragedies of modern television that it was cancelled. This has been exacerbated by the fact that Netflix (or some similar service) hasn't revived it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. evaderum

evaderum Getting Tilted

One of my favorite shows; Fox shall never be forgiven!

There's another show called Starhunter that I recall seeing on late at night years ago. It was b-grade with low budget production and acting, but being such a fan of firefly, it's interesting the similarities that Starhunter had, however minor.

But I digress, long live Firefly!!

13. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I miss that gorram show! Best in the 'verse!

When it first aired, I was so excited-- to think Joss, who I already loved from Buffy, was doing sci-fi! I was absolutely stunned when they canned it after so few episodes. I thought it was the most creative, freshest, most unique thing I'd seen on TV-- at least since Buffy started airing, maybe ever. The movie was all right, but just not the same. Man I wanted that show back. I wrote letters, sent e-mails, signed petitions...never did that for any other show. I still love to watch it. I love each and every one of the characters.

And I love when the actors in my other geek fandoms end up being Browncoats, too....

• Like Like x 1
  14. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

never herd of it

15. omega

omega Very Tilted

I watched the movie when it came out, I remember it being ok. I tried watching the series recently, but only got partway through the first episode. I like Nathan Fillion better in his recurring role on the venture brothers. He plays brown widow. Brown widow was bitten by a radioactive spider so now he has six eyes(long bangs cover up the other four) and he shoots webbing out of spinnerettes above his ass. He works at a ninja themed restaurant (the staff dresses and acts like ninjas) and has a penchant for performing in musicals.

16. wye

wye Getting Tilted

Yes, and I liked it. I watched Firefly first, after reading about it on TV Tropes and before Hulu introduced paid subscriptions. It's rare and remarkable that such a short tv series would have the opportunity to tie up loose ends in a theatrical film, and, given the enormous growth of its following online over the past few years, I expect the franchise will return to live action again in the next decade or two. However, there are many other little-known adult and family science-fiction series I would have liked or still would prefer to see continued, including Odyssey 5, Space Island One, MythQuest, Tower Prep, and Young Justice, as their canons ended without the benefit of an intentional series conclusion such that Serenity provided.

I hardly remembered that character when he was reintroduced this past season because it's been so long since his singular previous appearance. I didn't realize that Fillion voiced him, but I'm not surprised, as he has portrayed other animated superhero characters, most notably Hal Jordan in various Justice League cartoons.

17. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

(Not mine, but I like the picture)
    [​IMG]

I didn't watch it when it came out since I was busy, but I am glad I watched it on DVD. I was able to watch them all in just a few days. And I agree with the cartoon up above.

I have hope that since they brought back the X-Files and it was successful, they would bring back Firefly or make a movie for a prequel/sequel. I think they have plenty of die hard fans now that it would be watched by millions.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Levite

OK, confession time. I always thought the women on the show were all hot. And normally, Inara or Zoe would be just the sorts to light my fire. But though I am crazy about Summer Glau the actress, it wasn't River that was my top pick of the ladies, either, it was actually the character of Kaylee that totally got my juices flowing. Man, I wanted her in all kinds of ways. ALL kinds of ways. That first ep, when she ate the strawberry, I was like, "I'mma be in my bunk...."

Obviously, I am only commenting now on regulars, not recurring/guest characters, hence no mention of YoSaffBridge, because no sane heterosexual male could resist Christina Hendricks....

• Like Like x 4
  19. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Isn't Fillion the hold out?

20. Levite

Actually, I think it's Joss who's the holdout.

• Like Like x 1