1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #66: Do you have a bad neighbor?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Mar 21, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a neighbor that's especially bad?
    Someone that the rest of the neighborhood wishes would just go away?

We have a neighbor who is really pretty annoying. Dogs that threaten to attack everyone who come within 50 feet of their yard. Big broken pieces of fence from said dogs. TV in the garage blaring annoying programming 50% of the day. Beer cans everywhere. Way too much trash at the curb on trash days, including broken furniture from the loud parties every other week. Constantly having the cops called on them for noise complaints...

I could go on. But I'll leave it at that. They're unpleasant neighbors. We live in a homeowner's association, and we keep reporting various violations, but that doesn't seem to help.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

My immediate neighbors are all pretty decent, and mostly have been for the 8ish years we've lived here. The people in the house behind us moved in maybe two years ago. Previously that house had been a rental, then went into foreclosure. Most of the renters were decent, but the last guy was a bit of a nitwit. Nothing harmful, he just annoyed me because he managed one of those meat companies that sends the guys out in trucks with freezers to sell steaks door-to-door (they also had a local store they sold from). He repeatedly tried to convince me that his beef was better than the stuff that I buy from one of my closest friends who raises beef himself. I gave my neighbor's steaks a fair shot, but they were below average, let alone better than what I usually get. He also had a habit of screaming at his kids and wife (sometimes loud enough to hear from in his house when I was in my yard, or sometimes when he was outside with them) which I didn't care for. Supposedly he stopped paying rent and trashed the house before being evicted. The new neighbors mostly keep to themselves but are friendly enough.

The neighbors on one side of me are now gone, their house was foreclosed on. The UPS guy told me it was because the husband was a high-ranking gang member, and the used car dealership and towing company they owned were basically fronts to launder/hide money through. Personally I never had an issue with them. They were friendly and their kids were polite. They had a few shady people coming and going at times, but none of them ever caused any problems to us. They had a couple dogs that barked more than I would've liked, and one of them was aggressive but always kept in the fence. I am hopeful that whoever moves in there isn't noisy or obnoxious, this house is closest to our bedroom so has the highest potential for being a noise annoyance during sleeping hours.

The neighbors on the other side are very quiet and keep to themselves for the most part. The guy will chat over the fence for a minute or two when I'm out grilling and he's out with his dog (no fence, so he takes her out on a leash to go the bathroom). The kids will wave or say hello, but are pretty quiet. The wife has tons of health and allergy issues so she stays inside almost all the time. She's friendly when I've encountered her, but that only happens a couple times a year.

The neighbors directly across the street have four kids (youngest are twins, maybe 4-5?, oldest is maybe 12-13?). They are constantly coming and going with all their kids activities and just generally running a family of that size, but they are very nice. The wife/mom will chat for a few minutes and always waves, the husband/father is a bit more shy but is nice enough. The houses on either side of them are mostly quiet, but friendly if we pass them on a walk or whatever. They'll wave in passing.

The nicest neighbor is one two doors down (other side of the non-empty house next to me). He'll always yell over to say hello, or walk across the yard of the house between us to come chat at my fence for a while. His wife will occasionally bake us something random, and I'll often slice him off a piece of whatever I have on the grill. They are the ones we let know when we are on vacation, and they'll let us know sometimes when they are gone.

There is one family several houses down across the street who annoy me, but it's fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. He drives a large truck like this for work:

[​IMG]

His house is on a 90* bend in the street. He'll often park his truck on one side of the road (worse when it's on the inside of the curve) and one of their personal vehicles on the other side of the street. That makes it so narrow that only one car can pass, since his truck takes up so much room. There are also several houses with kids and dogs on either side of that, and sometimes it is tough for cars to see the curve well. Also, when on my motorcycle people will often be going too fast through that curve and not pay attention that there is a motorcycle coming. In general it creates a mildly dangerous situation, and technically the HOA rules prohibit the parking of a truck that size on the street. It's worst in the winter when he refuses to move it after a snow (city law is after 2"+ of snow there is no parking on the street for 24 hours). I've called a few times in that situation to complain because it causes drifting in the street, and when the street is icy there is a huge potential for someone to slide in that corner and cause an accident.

So I guess, all of that useless info aside, none of my neighbors are too bad. :p

• Like Like x 2
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I have yet to meet all of my neighbors in our new place, but they seem nice so far.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Well, the local bear trashed my Tacoma causing $9000 damage, the neighborhood mountain lion leaves deer parts in my driveway, and the flippin' moose eat my roses.

The humans are mostly fine.

• Like Like x 4
  5. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

We have one neighbor within a quarter mile of us (country living!).
    Husband and wife there now, with children that have recently grown up and moved out.
    The wife is lovely. We would spend more time with her if her husband wasn't such a malicious asshole.
    He's paranoid and combative and has had not-so-secret affairs that must be a huge embarrassment to his wife.
    He also has this habit of being out in winter in shorts and a t-shirt. We live in upstate NY so I'm not sure what that's about.

• Like Like x 2
  6. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

We had upstairs neighbours in our last apartment that were just awful. Constant partying. 3 am on a Thursday, they'd come home drunk from the bar and blast their music. They ended up in front of a tribunal after I called in more noise complaints than I can count, but they managed to weasel their way out of trouble.

Now I don't have upstairs neighbours, and I am much happier for it. We've got college kids on one side of us who have regular parties, but we don't share a wall with them and they manage to keep it to a dull roar so we don't really have any problems. I do find the odd beer bottle on my lawn but that's a relatively mild annoyance. On my other side is a friendly old retired fellow who spends a lot of time looking after his lawn. Can't complain about that.

I've actually been pretty lucky on the neighbour situation. Doubly so when I consider some of the very sketchy places I've lived.

I think my dream situation is something in the vein of stan's set up to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I'll be back to with more details about my partying neighbors, the neighbors who let their sewage partially flood my yard, & the ones who refuse to get their landlord to repair the fence despite the fact that we both have dogs.

8. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Only periodic loud fights...or music too loud.
    Nothing lately.

I try not to be the grumpy old man. Life happens.
    I'd say the only pet peeve are the residents or guests that use the front drive way as a speedway or launching pad. We already had one crash.

Once I got into it with one guy who got in my face about walking my dog near a designated area. (there was even a dog waste disposal post there)
    Turns out he was a unauthorized resident of a tenant. (BF of the moment or such)
    Sorry, you don't agro on someone at 6 in the morn. Discussion, fine. Request, fine. In my face and aggressive remarks...I don't think so.
    He's actually lucky I did have the dogs...I didn't want them getting hurt in the street, if I threw down.
    So I reported him to the complex.
    He was asked to leave...not because of the incident, because the tenant was breaking the rules by him being there.

Hint: if you're doing something wrong...don't bring attention to yourself. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I only had one neighbor with a big Dodge Ram truck that he would warm up in the winter for 20 minutes, and you could hear it all over the neighborhood. But, luckily he moved.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris Noyb

The street behind us is short cul-de-sac. The houses are duplexes and townhouses. Some of those folks think nothing of blasting their loud music until three or four in the morning. And not just on Fri and/or Sat, sometimes they start on Sunday night and don't stop early Mon morning. We called in one noise complaint on the people directly (sort of) behind us because they hosted the Sun/Mon parties. It's gotten a lot better. I'm guessing that other neighbors have called the police.

The landowner, or her handyman, of the above mentioned ^ properties had a clogged sewer line. Their solution was to remove the access cap so that the sewage didn't back-up into the tri-plex of townhouses. We wound up with several large pools of sewage in our backyard and a stream of sewage running beside our house and out into the street. My guess is the handyman tried to flush the line and left a hose running. After I complained to one of the residents, and called it in to the City for an official complaint & report, the handyman ran a snake into the line until it finally cleared.

The neighbors on one side have a sagging wood plank rear fence that needs to be replaced (best solution) or at least propped-up (band-aid solution). The problem is their sagging fence is affecting our rear fence, and leaves a gap at our respective property lines where the side fence Ts into the rear fence. I've told them many times it needs attention and they need to get the poperty owner and/or property management company on the ball. I've also stated that if I do the repair to save my back fence I'll do it such a way that their rear fence will no longer be connected to the side fence that we share, and will no longer be connected to my portion of the back fence. The problem with that their rear fence would fall down, and I could face legal issues.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I have some of that, diesel trucks downshifting at 2am are a bit annoying; but it comes with the territory.

My neighbors have talked to me a couple times about Molly. Basically, if she's going ballistic there is a bear nearby and you ought to be thanking her, rather than complaining. They actually looked for the bear last time and spotted it. It's no longer an issue and they see the bear warning as a good thing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chris Noyb

One of next door neighbors was scared of dogs because he was severely bitten as a kid, he frequently asked us to make the dogs couldn't get into his yard. One night the police were searching our yards for some suspects (I never learned what they were suspected of doing), and the police said the suspects had been seen running into the area behind our houses, and also said our barking dogs most likely drove them away. That night our neighbor was thankful for our dogs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Our snail neighbors are dicks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

We live in a condo community in Northeast Florida at the moment. 90% of them are douchy. Parking on the sidewalk, letting their dogs poop in our little patch of grass next to our driveway--which makes it impossible to open the windows in the warm weather, yelling at random hours. I'm ready to move. At least if we end up in a condo or apartment in our new city, they've been built to keep city noises out and will (hopefully) have appropriate sound barriers. This place is ridiculous. We have a humidifier the bedroom because it helps with breathing at night... And because it drowns out all the bullshit that comes from living in a community like ours.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Our bad neighbor was the reason we moved. Life is much more peaceful now.

I've bitched about her here quite a bit, so instead of going into a full-blown story, here's some highlights:

• Left two dogs outside in all manner of weather with no shelter. Someone called animal control, they told her the dogs needed shelter...she put out a travel carrier that the bigger dog couldn't really fit in.
    • Left four dogs in the house while leaving for weeks/months at a time. Her mom would dump a bag of dog food in the living room once every couple weeks and leave.
    • Came home once after being gone for a month, kicked a dog out of the house, left again (this is how we ended up with Leia.)
    • Knocked on our door one night after we'd gone to bed, but before we were asleep. Wanted to know if we had any liquor.
    • Borrowed the broom. Never brought it back. (this is relatively small in the grand scheme of things, but it really irks me for some reason.)
    • When she was home, she was always screaming at someone. Her friends, her dogs, her mother, her boyfriends. She and a guy got into this really violent argument, yelling and throwing things and breaking stuff. It got quiet, and I was honestly scared she killed him. Then they started having really. loud. sex.
    • We suspected she was on drugs, but didn't really have proof. When we first moved in, she was around 19, and kinda pretty. Kinda trashy, too, but whatever. When she came back after being gone for a year or whatever, she looked strung out, she had the shakes, and she just looked...bad. This would also explain some of the periods of relative quiet, followed by angry outbursts. And the rotating cast of characters in and out of her house all the time.
    At some point (probably after the neighbor across the street called the police instead of animal control about the dogs), she decided that we were the ones who kept calling the cops on her, and decided she hated us and wanted to make us miserable. Following that:
    • Showed up after being gone for over a year, banged on our door to wake the dead at like, eight in the morning, and when we didn't answer fast enough, left a nasty note saying to get off her side of the driveway or she was calling the cops. Note also said something like, "I'm back and you can't do anything about it."
    • Continued to scream at people in the house all the time. Since the house smelled awful, she always had the windows open, which pretty much meant we always left ours closed.
    • Started yelling at the dogs to "shut the fuck up." Which would make them bark at her. (note about our dogs: they bark. They don't bark incessantly. We were always outside with them, and if they started barking, they came inside immediately.)
    • Left us (and the neighbors across the street) these really passive-aggressive notes that sounded like a junior high kid had written it.
    • Yelled something at us every time we left the house ("keep your damn beasties quiet!" "I'm not leaving, so get used to it!" "Stay off my side of the driveway!") Ran back inside immediately after delivering whatever message she felt the need to convey.
    • Started yelling that we "slammed our car doors too loudly" every time we came home.
    • Decided Eden played his music too loudly, blasted her radio and screamed along with the lyrics. I recorded some of that, but unfortunately, missed the worst of it (including changing the lyrics of "What's My Age Again" to "nobody likes you when you're assholes!" I was inclined to agree with her on that point, though we disagreed on who the asshole in question was.)
    • Started threatening our dogs.
    That was really the last straw. Our landlord knew we'd been having issues with her, and when she ramped it up even more, he found us a new house. Part of me was a little ashamed of moving, like...I don't know, leaving was letting her win. But then I realized we got a bigger house with a bigger yard, and way nicer neighbors, so really, who's the winner here?

• Like Like x 1
  16. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Ok, you're making my neighbors look good.
    Update on our neighborhood: sometime earlier this week the dad of the family walked out, and took the dogs... it has been shockingly quiet and calm since then.

• Like Like x 1
  17. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

My new neighbor invested heavily, serious upgrades to the double wide mobile home and acre he purchased. Built a shop. Paid for a shop to be built and it is wonderful. Over 40 ft long and 30 ft wide with an additional 10 ft over hang. All steel exterior with a hydraulic car lift to boot. Privacy fence on three sides, not my side:(, Now he's breeding German Shepards, has 9 of them all in different stages. Attacking the 4 ft wire fence as if they have rabies whenever me and my 3 yr old GS decide to walk to our barn. So nice. Talks about what he pays for his purchases and asks me personal questions. As in : " I don't mean to be too personal, but...." and he has wondered around and got himself involved in every ones business. I am sure he has some income from some where besides breeding and selling guard dogs, he must have, the two of them don't work and are my age. The last neighbor that owned that house breed a trained pit bulls for fighting and was a drug dealer. Had to be, they didn't work either. what is it with that fucking property.

18. Chris Noyb

I'd ask him to upgrade that fence, muy pronto.*

Sometimes you don't know about your neigbors $$. One our neighbors works as a real estate appraiser and his wife works part time at a school. They put three kids through college, and they frequently go on long hunting trips, go to out of state rodeos, take frequent vacations, etc. It wasn't until he described their hunting "camp" and the amount of land that I realized they have old family $$ from extensive land holdings.

* But it's not like I have great track record with neighbors and fences :mad:.
    The back fence I've previously mentioned is going to need action on my part because of all the rain & storms we've had.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am trying to think when I last had a bad neighbour. I think it was shortly after we moved back to Toronto. We shared a wall with a young couple who blare music at early hours. They weren't all that bad when you met them face-to-face and were only about a year or two younger than us (early 20s). Other than the music early in the morning, they were okay.

No other neighbours have been worse than that.

The worst thing I can say about our current neighbours is that they kind of stick to themselves.

20. Chris Noyb

Over the past few days some? all? of our "fence issue" neighbors--they're renters--have been moving out. Because they're part of a culture where having numerous relatives, and even acquaintances of distant relatives, live with you is common, I'm not sure if everyone is moving out or just a few folks. Hell, I can't tell who lives there from those who stay several months from those who just stay a few days from those just visit for a few hours.