1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #34: If all work visas were approved, what would happen?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Nov 23, 2015.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

If anyone could work wherever they're wanted, without getting turned away, how different would our world economy be?

I'm talking people who are wanted for their skills by some company or university or other entity that plans to pay them. I'm talking highly educated contributors to society. I'm talking people who choose to be where they are because of little opportunity or repression where they are citizens, which would halt their careers...

I keep seeing friends from college who have to head back because their work visas aren't getting approved. It makes me sad. And confused. Especially when there is an entity that is saying, "we need them for their unique skills.". They want to stay in the country that just spent a decade training them. And then we're sending them home -many of them women - to a life of obscurity where they will not use the skills they trained so long and so hard to learn.

I don't get it. And I'm curious what a world without borders would look like.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

This is probably a field by field thng.
    In my profession, H1B visa holders are displacing skilled US citizens. "We need them for their unique skills" seems to mean "We want to pay 50% of the prevailing rate".

Sorry; but it's a sore point. I've seen a lot of highly skilled people laid off and replaced with H1B visa holders that will work for less. I've been one of them twice, now.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

In the manufacturing world, I see a ton of engineering jobs being taken by skilled visa holders. Most of the large corporations I deal with can't seem to recruit them fast enough. I can't speak to whether there is a true shortage of domestically "grown" manufacturing engineers (that's the argument for bringing them from other countries), but the problem you mention is one I don't see in the fields I deal with. I have can't even recall a single instance of a visa holder I dealt with having to leave.

I'm not at all arguing that it never happens, just not in the small niche(s) I deal with regularly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

hmph...I thought that many don't want the government in business...
    That is until they want government to protect business...
    Or they want help for business from the government.

Personally, I see foreign tech workers in my industry too...they're all over the place, even in DC...working for the Federal government projects.
    I don't mind it...they fill in many holes...there's a shortage of tech workers.

But then again, the security requirements prevent them from getting many positions until they fully become citizens...or they can't get higher than public trust. So I guess Americans are "protected".

Frankly, I don't mind...because it could go both ways.
    I don't care if they come here...there are other controls and society buttresses.
    And I wouldn't mind trying my hand in other countries...which I'm blocked by the same "rules", where they want Masters or PhD's only.

Me, I say you can't have it both ways.
    Either keep it open...or keep it closed.

Hell, if global companies can get away with not paying taxes...because they haven't brought it "back home"
    then you can't protect the jobs too.

Open it up, I say. Survival of the fittest.
    That...or pay up, suckers.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

What would happen if labour was truly free to flow where it was needed?

In the short term, there would be a flood of people seeking jobs in places where their civil rights would protected. There are people in dangerous parts of the world that would immediately up stakes and move to various liberal societies around the world.

This could cause a shortage of cheaper labour in these parts of the world, as nobody chooses to live and work in places where the living is hard and the pay is low.

In the mid-term, we would see a lowering of wages in these liberal nations as there is a glut of employees. Unions would become a thing with strength again as the labour market shifts to more liberal places where collective bargaining is allowed. We would also likely see some of the more repressive places start to come around to better wages and living conditions (as compared to what they previously had). Anything to keep labour where it is.

In the long term, we would have a level playing field. Where those nations that weren't conducive to the labour market, do without labour because people left for better conditions or, their states become even more repressive and essentially have slave labour.

Skilled labour - truly skilled labour will go where the money is in the short, mid and long term.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Agreed. H1B holders push out American workers, especially in technical and engineering fields. It's unfortunate but true. I think the H1B program needs to be greatly overhauled. Paying H1B workers lower wages also means that wages in technical and engineering fields remain low and flat, as newcomers into the field have to compete with visa holders who will work for less.

• Like Like x 1
  7. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I guess there's a good and bad to all things. I could see a significant increase in tax revenues.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

The ageism in the tech field is a big issue and partly caused by H1B visa holders competing for the same jobs. But, that is only half of it. I think that the Asian and Indian educational system educates engineers better than the American system. They might not be well rounded in studying other areas, but they have experience already in the areas that count. And they are willing to put in the extra hours week after week to get big jobs done.

Now, I would like to do some work overseas. I have done a few months already, and it feels like a totally different job.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Speaking as a hiring manager who has hired workers on the H1B program, my $.02.

I posted a position. 3 people submitted resumes. 2 US citizens and 1 person who would need H1B sponsorship. One of the US citizens didn't respond to multiple messages requesting he contact us to set up an interview. Not "Sorry, changed my mind." Just never responded. The other U.S. citizen declined to interview because he felt the commute would be more than he wanted on a daily basis. The 3rd wanted the job and fortunatley was qualified for it.

In order to sponsor the H1B, we had to show proof that the position was advertised, that we could find no U.S. worker to fill the role (we also had to advertise through the state department of economic security's jobs board), and we had to show that the offer to the H1B worker was at the prevailing market rate for our industry and geographic area.

I keep hearing that companies are paying H1B workers 1/2 of market, but I don't see how this is possible, because the DOL makes you prove you are paying market.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I've been laid off twice now and have had to train my H1B replacement. I couldn't speak to the paperwork or legality; but in both cases, my lay off was delayed when my H1B replacement didn't pick up things fast enough. It wouldn't seem to be a skill issue. In both cases, my severance package was used to insure my cooperation.

I'm presently working as a contractor for 80% of my former salary. This would be a difficult comparison financially. salaried vs hourly and benefits vs none. I get benefits through my wife and have no interest in 70+ hr weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

I found this article. Evidently you can legally do this. This sucks! I'm writing my congressman, for all the good it will do.

• Like Like x 1
  12. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Amazing, I am consistently impressed at the ways companies have helped our government craft laws to screw over workers.

13. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I had the same experience with hiring legal professionals. They wanted more than what I could or would pay someone in India. I have a small team here in the US who does stuff that is more complicated (read that as generates questions answered by a subject matter expert located in the same office.) It is a shame.

I ended up reaching out to fresh out of college folks who have been wonderful to train and they are very happy to work hard for me. I treat them well, give them sick days and vacation days because I can't give them healthcare.

Meanwhile I pay 6 figures to a Legal Process Outsourcing group who does the work that needs to be done with lawyers for almost the same cost as what I pay the individuals here who are not lawyers.

• Like Like x 1