1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #32: Do you have a favorite pillow?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Let's have some community pillow talk.

Do you prefer a specific type of pillow?
    When you travel, do you bring a specific pillow?
    Do you have a lucky pillow?
    What kind of pillow do you prefer?
    How often do you replace your pillows?
    Do you even use a pillow at all?

I awoke this morning thinking, "All hail the neck pillow!!"
    I recently made the switch from a standard pillow to a neck pillow. Oh my goodness I sleep so much better and my constant neck ache is gone. I will never go back. Incidentally, I used to use a tiny pillow that I made myself that was basically a flat neck pillow but when bunny chewed it up I just switched to standard. I had no idea I was sleeping so poorly on a normal pillow.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

We have like 9-10 pillows on our bed. Not small, decorative ones, but actual normal pillows.

Long story short, my bedroom through most of my teen years had a window that faced east. I need almost complete dark for sound sleep. As most teenagers do, I wanted to sleep in whenever I could. So I got in the habit of sleeping with a pillow over my eyes and the top of my head. After years of this it became almost necessary for me to have a pillow on my head to sleep.

I sleep on my side. As I got older, I realized that my back feels better if I keep a pillow between my knees. So I usually do this too.

And often I have yet another pillow under my arm (right arm when sleeping on left side, or vice versa).

:p

I like a medium firm pillow under my head, a large and firm pillow for my legs and arm, and a very soft and less 'full' pillow for on top of my head.

The type or stuffing of the pillow is less important to me than the fullness and firmness.

• Like Like x 1
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I have a memory foam pillow that is pretty pliable and molds to my neck. That is what I prefer. I use two.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have a pipe pillow that I got in Namdaemoon, it's a simple mesh pillow with what looks like black drinking straws that have been cut into small pieces. There is also a smaller pocket with ceramic discs that serve some purpose that I'm not aware of. But that damn pillow is firm, supports my neck, and allows air to travel; so it's always cool. Takes some getting used to but now I can't live without it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I enjoy blankets which I use as pillows. Mostly on my couch, curled up on it.

Tried the memory foam...it's too hot for me since I run hot.
    I have 4 of the same type on my bed, a firm down.

• Like Like x 1
  6. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Yes, Sandy has her pillow and side of the bed and I have mine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. raptor9k Vertical

I prefer a feather pillow for my head because I can squeeze it or flatten it to change the thickness. I sleep mostly on my stomach or side and most pillows make me feel like my neck is going to break in the night. I prefer a memory foam pillow between or behind my knees if I'm on my side or back.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Do you prefer a specific type of pillow? Like Borla, we have many non-decorative pillows on our bed. Before moving to Singapore I used to sleep with a pillow over my head to block sound and light but these days, I don't need to. The only time I need light and sound assistance is when I am getting through jetlag and then I use a sleep mask and earplugs.

Of all the pillows on our bed, I prefer the thin one. I hate it when a pillow is to fat. There are two thin ones and if I don't get one of them, I can't sleep.

The other thing I have is a bolster. I sleep on my side and I like to keep it between my knees.

When you travel, do you bring a specific pillow? No. They take up too much space. Most of the hotels I stay in on business travel are better than what I have a home, so Bonus! When I am staying somewhere less comfortable, it can be a minor trial.

Do you have a lucky pillow? No.

What kind of pillow do you prefer? I am not sure what my pillows are made of but I am not a fan of feather pillows.

How often do you replace your pillows? Not often enough.

Do you even use a pillow at all? See above.
    --- merged: Nov 18, 2015 at 9:28 PM ---
    Given the size of your head, I am not surprised.

What does your wife use for a pillow?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

If I have a choice, I will always sleep with a U-shaped neck pillow. I've tried a variety over the years, including memory foam, inflatable, and styrofoam bead filled. I'm kind of a hot body and like to sleep in a cool room. Memory foam is too hot for me. I like the kind stuffed with polyester or cotton wadding best. I've got about a dozen in assorted colors and cover materials. I keep a couple in the car and put one behind my neck when driving on long trips. 490_Neck_Pillow_Group.JPG

I've had a stiff neck ever since I fell off of a stage back when I was a dancer. I can't tilt my head to the left, it just won't do that. I can twist my head left or right, tilt forward to look at the floor and backward to look at the ceiling. I can tilt to the right, but not to the left. There's no pain involved, just a restricted range of motion, which means I can't sleep on my right side, but left side or back sleeping is fine. I never sleep on my stomach, or use pillows between or under my knees.
    I can close my eyes and fall asleep flat on my back with the sun overhead. Light just doesn't bother me. Noise, on the other hand...:rolleyes: Thank God my neighbor with the hyper sheltie finally moved.

The last hotel I stayed at had what seemed like about a dozen pillows on the bed. I usually just put them all on one side or toss them on the floor. If I forgot a neck pillow I'll roll up a towel into a cylinder and use that. Hotel pillows are always too big and too firm for me, but can make good body pillows. Sometimes I wake up in the night to find myself embracing one of those big pillows. And they're good for sex, to raise my little tushie up off of the mattress for a little rear entry pushin' on the cushion.:D

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Charlatan

One of the hotels I stay in on a regular basis in Bangkok has my preferences on file. As a result, I always have soft pillows when I stay there. Given the quality of their bedding and mattress, I always sleep very well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I don't really have a favorite one, its just the one that's on my side of the bed. there are 2 on my side. as long as I have 2 im good. there nothing special. to be honest there proablly 7 or 8 years old

• Like Like x 1
  12. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Not really a favorite, no. But it's difficult to sleep without my body pillow. It's perfectly broken in to suit me, and I put a super-soft pillow case over it.

I also have a really, really firm pillow to lay my head on. And a squishy pillow that I sometimes kinda layer on top of the firm pillow, and sometimes just use to hug.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DaddySquirrel's chest is my favorite pillow.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

MrDoctor Noodle's is my favorite, too.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Charlatan

My wife used to use me as her pillow, then we moved to Singapore. It's too fucking hot. We like it when we stay in hotels with the aircon cranked. We can revert to type.

• Like Like x 1
  16. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

get ya some new ones, I like to have one under my feet or knees, depending on how I feel and one to lay my big head on

17. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I do. I have a sobakawa pillow. I have loved it since the first one I had. Foam ones are too hot, but I like the stiffness.

• Like Like x 1