1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #28: Does anything make you queasy?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Nov 12, 2015.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Has anything inexplicably made you feel queasy?
    Share your experiences, and the rational thought process that helped you to overcome.

Singing in public makes me shaky and sick. I can get over it when I've sung in front of the same group a few times, and when I've practiced so much I don't have to look at the words or think about the music anymore. I can just focus on the notes and the tone and go to my own place. Same with giving birth - labor is a lot easier when I ride the waves of contractions by singing and focusing on the notes as I would with stage fright.

When I'm pregnant, the smell of cooking meat makes me want to vomit. This is one I can't get over. I think the hormones push rationality out the window. Granted, I'm a vegetarian, but it's not that I think of dead cute fuzzy animals and the thought makes me sick, it's something intrinsic to the smell.

When I'm around someone who is treating a child as less than human, it makes me sick to my stomach. I often have to walk away from that one and remind myself that I am powerless to change how other people raise their children.

What about you, what makes your stomach turn? How do you deal with it?

2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Seeing my own blood. Blood in general doesn't bother me—I used to help my stepdad carve up various woodland creatures in the garage when he got home from hunting/fishing. I can clean up & bandage someone who's bleeding. I can clean up surfaces after someone has bled on them. No problem, I'm fine. But if it's blood that came out of ME (or, as I once discovered, if there's no blood but I can see *into* my skin, like a puncture wound), I am instantly nauseated and light-headed, and on a few occasions, I've passed out.

Luckily, I don't have to deal with it too often :) When it's something I'm deliberately doing, like donating blood or having it drawn at the doctor, I very pointedly DO NOT LOOK and take deep calming breaths during the process.

I also get ridiculously nervous and feel like I'm going to yak whenever I have to perform in front of people. Singing, acting, giving a speech, even job interviews...anything that puts me in front of a group. Doesn't matter how many times I've done it, happens every time (I used to do karaoke EVERY WEEK, and I still got stage fright before the first song, every time. Moreso if someone new was there, or if I was trying a new song.) There's nothing I can really do to change this, or at least, nothing I've found. I focus on my breathing, and just make myself DO it, because I know the feeling eventually (usually) gives way to a rush of euphoria...or maybe it's just relief :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I tend to have a strong stomach, even around really gross things. I'd have say vomit, be it human, dog, or cat. My wife will nearly vomit if she has to clean up vomit (not exactly a good thing for a teacher), so if I'm around I get to clean it up.

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Panic attacks :eek:

5. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Heights make me queasy. High balconies, windows, mountain paths, roads, and bridges. Amusement park rides. Places where you walk out on a glass floor that you can look straight down.

I remember walking across the Royal Gorge pedestrian bridge in Colorado. Its perforated metal decking allows you to look right past your feet down to the river a gazillion feet below. I did make it across and back. I just kept looking straight ahead, put one foot in front of the other and concentrated on "I can do this, I will do this, the bridge will not collapse under my 115lb weight and send me crashing down below."

It makes me queasy just thinking about it.

6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Those videos of kids climbing towers and cranes and hanging off them with one hand. Gut wrenching. I can't look at them without getting queasy in my lowers.

7. b2653009 Slightly Tilted

Today in class, a kid on the row beside me pulled out the smelliest Subway sandwich and ate the whole foot-long for ten minutes. I was in queasy hell.
    When I went through chemo, I was so sick, I couldn't cook for myself, and when people cooked at home, I was sensitive to every damned thing that was cooked besides potatoes. One night after chemo, my mom was badgering me for what I wanted for dinner, and out of frustration I said a Subway sandwich. Got one, took it home. It was half a foot-long of I have no idea what. They all smell the same to me anyways. Well, 5 minutes after eating, I threw it right up.
    I haven't been able to stand the thought of, let alone the smell of, Subway food. Ick.

8. Charlatan

My wife has similar reactions to papaya post chemotherapy.

9. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I have an iron clad stomach only one thing makes me queasy, roller coasters, I hate those fucking things

• Like Like x 2
  10. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

The smell of nec. That's about the only thing.

11. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I love roller coasters but the rides that spin like the tea cups will have me down for the count.
    And the saddest one of all is I can't read in a moving vehicle.
    As much as I would like to kill the time during long trips by reading if I do it for very long I start to get nauseous.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I hate roller coasters, even the tame ones, and the spinning rides. I once told a cousin, "OK, I'll ride the roller coaster with you. But you have to sit next to me, and STFU when I puke all over you. Deal?"

13. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Large quantities of alcohol?

Nothing really bothers me, if I'm queasy it's the flu or alcohol. Love, love, love roller coasters. I could ride them all day.

• Like Like x 1
  14. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

When my dog, BOO, got hit by a minivan, 2 years ago, the site of his brains made me sick. I Loved that lil black terrier.

15. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

ha, I'm t he same way. I went to Cedar Point with some friends years ago, and we hit all the big coasters and had a blast. On the way out, we stopped and rode Matterhorn and I about lost it. It doesn't spin, but it goes around in a tight circle, up and down and up and down and always in that damn circle. Blech.

When I was a kid, I read in the van all the way from Ohio to Panama City Beach with no problems. I don't know when that changed...late teens, early 20s, I guess...but now if I try more than a few sentences, instant carsickness. I also have issues riding in the backseat :( And sometimes even in the passenger seat.

16. Charlatan

I had a little black dog when I was a kid. Same story as yours.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AuntBee

AuntBee Vertical

Sorry to hear about BOO. That must have been terrible. Similar story about Muffin. Love dogs better than people probably.

• Like Like x 1
  18. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

My dog(s) have been my best friends.

19. raptor9k Vertical

Blood loss on an empty stomach is the only thing that has made me feel like I was going to puke in a long while. Most recent episodes were when I had blood drawn for lab work when I had mono and hadn't eaten in 12+ hours or when I ran a broken drill bit through the 3rd finger on my right hand around 6pm after skipping lunch that day. Probably just a reaction to the shock or something. When I was a kid I couldn't handle the sight or smell of vomit. Having a kid cured that.

20. Charlatan

I hear you. My dog's death, over 30 years ago, still makes me sad. Sorry you had to go through that.