1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #26: When was the last time you exercised?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Oct 29, 2015.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

A real athlete trains every day, without fail.
    But what about you?
    What's your favorite time of day for a workout?

I keep telling myself that it's OK to slack, that I'm just 4 months postpartum and I will be healthier overall if I give myself a break from a big workout, but lately I haven't even been keeping up with low impact movement like walking and stretching, and I am disappointed in myself. I need to work it back into my schedule.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I go 2 or 3 times a week these days. (but October has gone to hell because I've had multiple colds on & off through the month)
    I tend to workout around a hour...but I go fairly easy pace...I take my time. (long breaks between sets, good amount of breathing and water)
    I tend to do cardio for 10 to 20 minutes, switching between machines about 5 minutes each (I hate the tedium of repetition)
    Then I'll do my core, switching between a couple of exercises, working different angles. (up, mid, down, front, back, sides)
    Then I'll finally do whatever I think needs working on. (arms, chest, legs, etc...)
    But I don't go by any strict pattern...actually pretty random according to my mood.

I also do biking, swimming, B-ball, Karate and I walk quite a bit.

I tend to work out later in the day, evening is my favorite time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Living in the mountains, going to a gym is always a pain. I've tried it, I'm fine working out; but the logistics of getting there just never work out, long term.

To get in shape for skiing, I ski. To get in shape for hiking, I hike. ... You get the picture.

There's a seasonal change in my needs, the first few weeks of any season are usually a bit painful. I just deal with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Last night :)

Right now, I run Mondays & Wednesdays, lift on Tuesdays & Thursdays, and do aerobics with light weights on Saturdays. Fridays & Sundays are rest days, but I still make sure to hit my minimum 10,000 steps (woo, Fitbit!)

At the moment, I'm working out in the evenings. And I like it a lot. It's a good way to de-stress from the work day, and it's nice to shower at night and be able to sleep in a little later in the mornings. I try to be at the gym by 7:30, though this week, for various reasons, I haven't gotten there until 8:00 (8:30 last night.) Luckily, they're open until 10 most days.

It does present some problems, though, which is why I've been wanting to switch to morning workouts. It will be nice to have my evenings back for reading or hanging out with friends, or family obligations; and I want to start roller skating again. I haven't been eating dinner until 10:00 at night, which works with how I'm planning meals right now, but means I end up staying up later than I'd like. Just gotta retrain myself to stop hitting 'snooze' so many times :)

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

If things go well, I exercise three days a week:

Mon: 1.5 hours Muay Thai/1 hour hapkido (plus 50 minutes of walking to and from the school)
    Wed: 1 hour Muay Thai/1 hour hapkido (plus 50 minutes of walking)
    Sat: 1 hour Muay Thai/1 hour hapkido (plus 50 minutes of walking)

Totals:
    Muay Thai: 3.5 hours
    hapkido: 3 hours
    walking: 2.5 hours

Weekly Total: 9 hours

Monday and Wednesday are in the evening after 6 p.m. Saturday starts just before noon. For some reason, I tend to prefer evening workouts vs. morning/afternoon workouts.

6. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

shame on me, that is all I have to say.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PlaysWithPixels

PlaysWithPixels Getting Tilted

I need to start... But I have a very physical job so I'm not sedentary.

Last yoga class and swim was about a month ago.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Somewhere between 10 and 15 years ago, I would go to a gym three times a week and ride stationary bikes, trot on treadmills, trudge on stair-climbs. Then I would sit in a whirlpool for @20 minutes, shower, then stop for ice cream on the way home. Haven't done any of that since then... except for the ice cream part.

I wore a pedometer at work for a while. Depending on how brisk business was, I was putting in between 4 and 7 miles a day. In addition, there is plenty of lifting and carrying items up to 50 lbs or more mingled into my day. I work as hard (or harder) as anyone I employ. I smoke, I drink and I rock and roll when I get the chance. I may not be anyone's idea of a physical specimen, but I get done what I want to or have to. Works for me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Just walked from the bus to the bar. That counts, right?

• Like Like x 4
  10. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Golfing once a week - and before you scoff - an average round is 6km walking and it isn't flat. I also have a weekly class in the local park for an hour. Apart from that, I'm fairly active, but nothing that is regimented. I don't like the gym and machines - I'd rather go for a walk in the outdoors :)

@snowy - you also exercised your bicep with the drinking as well, I suppose ;)

11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Not yet, but planning on downing a few pints.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I was being active 6 days a week until I injured my knee a couple weeks ago (I had been travelling and not exercising, returned to my usual schedule and boom.. the knee).

I was doing:

Monday: Kendo (2 hours)
    Tuesday: Bootcamp (1 hour)
    Wednesday: Kendo (2 hours)
    Thursday: Bootcamp (1 hour)
    Friday: off
    Saturday: Kendo : (3 hours)
    Sunday: Road or Mountain biking

I am pretty certain I am going to drop bootcamp from this as it's the hardest on my knee. I am also going to drop Monday Kendo until my knee is back to strength. Maybe replace it with Yoga or Pilates.

13. evaderum

evaderum Getting Tilted

It's been a couple weeks since I've done any intentional specific exercise. I always tell myself I'm gonna start doing exercise on a more consistent schedule, but I always fall out of it due to neck and back problems that I have.

I'm also reminded of a joke, I think from a tv show, but I can't remember which one. Someone says they haven't exercised since the LA Marathon. Then the other person asks, you ran in the marathon? To which they reply, no, I just happened to exercise that day.

14. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I am not an athlete in any way.

Mrs. Levite and I exercise a few times a week together: we have an exercise bike and a treadmill in the basement, and we go down three or four nights a week, she bikes, I walk on the treadmill, and we watch TV together. We're going through the show run of Buffy, which is my all-time favorite show, and which she's never watched. We were down there just last night as a matter of fact. We shoot to go for an hour, but depending on how hard the day is, we often only make it 45 minutes or half an hour.

15. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I work my body every day and get plenty of exercise, well 6 out a 7 days

16. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

On Tue I walked to the polling station to vote.
    Yesterday I walked to post office to mail our house payment.
    Neither was very far away.

17. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Lifted last night.

I Strength Train M/W/F for about 1.5 to 2 hours depending on if I add core exercises to my routine.

T/Th I am at martial arts for an hour. I really want to do both but I'm thinking right now of dropping MA one night and adding a 4th day of strength training.

I sometimes workout on Saturday, but the hours at my gym and the fact I have to pick up my front desk girl is throwing that off. I can't wait til she can get a ride in a month again.

Sunday is always rest day, as my body is usually trashed at this point.

I would really like to go to a 5 day a week strength training routine but that will knock out martial arts. I like MA and it's helping me with my endurance/flexibility.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Did half an hour on the treadmill (steep upslope) last night, and did a 1.5 mile dog walk today.

19. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Last night I went to the gym at 9pm to 10
    Ya go when you go.

Feel better today after going
    ...after a month that was shot to hell by on & off colds.

20. omega

omega Very Tilted

My off the cuff suggestion would be to continue the martial arts twice a week for more rounded health. You mentioned the flexibility and endurance, which are both important. Also, you experience different movement patterns. Joints are asked to do different things. Your nervous system is taxed differently. But it depends on what your goals are. Pure strength, go lift.

• Like Like x 1