1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Parents' death - how old were you?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by genuinemommy, Aug 16, 2015.

?

How old were you?

1. 0-18

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. 19-30

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. 30-45

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. 45+

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Curious how old you were when your parents passed away.
    My mother recently passed and I can't imagine going through this any younger.

How have you managed to move on while honoring their memory?
    Any other tips?

• Like Like x 1
  2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I was thirteen when my mom died and it freaks me out a bit that I'm older now than she was when she died.
    To be honest it probably screwed me up in a whole bunch of ways that I probably don't really even understand now but I made the decision to live my life in a way that I thought she would be proud of me.

• Like Like x 2
  3. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I was in my 30's when my dad died.
    You're in the "acute phase" of loss and grieving. I think much of that phase is "common" or shared amongst most people.
    What floors me is how even now almost 20 years later I have these moments when a whole bunch of father related thoughts or emotions will just pop into my head. I hadn't expected that. Nor do I know if it happens to other people.
    I truly wish my dad had lived to meet his granddaughters.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

I was 30 when my mom died, and 40 when my dad died. I'm older now than my mother was when she died.

In the mental health world (my wife is a therapist), they have a saying, It's a tough world out there. Lots of people have lives that would make us embarrassed to complain about our small problems. Here's a guy whose mother died when he was 18, and he's never recovered.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

Both my parents are still alive, in their 70s (I'm 45), but when I was in my late 20s my then wife lost her father. It wasn't a shock, as he'd been ill for some time, but it was still a huge realisation about mortality

• Like Like x 2
  6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'm surprised my dad is still alive...he's given us enough scares with his heart attacks. Hate to say it, given he wasn't around at all growing up and has fucked up his life...it may be a blessing in disguise when he's gone. (Sad, but true)
    Mom keeps on ticking...but I know I'll be destroyed when the time comes... Not only is she a parent & role model, but she's a good friend.

• Like Like x 2
  7. omega

omega Very Tilted

My dad died at age 48, I was 19. My mom died at 59, I was 33. I wrote about my mom's death as it was occurring under the old tfp. My dad was only a few years older than I am now. Also, both of my parents died of cancer. I don't want to have either of my now 5 year daughters to see that. They were both good people, and too young.

8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

My father died when I was in my late 20s. It was horrible.

My mother is still alive. I expect she has many more years left. The women in her family are long lived.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I was 51 when my father passed away, my mother is still alive.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

30s. My father died unexpectedly while I was away at work. He had been sick and nobody (not even my mother) had told me.

My family isn't/wasn't very close so I don't get the "honoring the memory" thing. We were... strangers. I was alone a lot.

His death didn't really shock me so much as it was a disappointment. We never got to catch up after I became a Real Man.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  11. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

I was 45 when dad passed, 51 when mom passed.

12. I was 21 when my dad died...then my mother died the following year when right after I turned 23.

Fuck cancer.

I named my daughter after my mother. Had she been a boy, his middle name would have been my father's.

It has been 10+ years since they've passed. I still think about them on a daily basis. and honor them just by

• Like Like x 1
  13. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Im 37 and my Dad passed away 2 weeks ago yesterday.

I cannot imagine going through this as a teen or younger. It has not even fully sunk in yet, all the ways family life has changed.

I know he's at peace, but fuck cancer. And fuck death.

My sister and I picked out mini one-of-a-kind, handmade wooden urns from the peach state. The rest of him we plan to take a sister's trip to spread the rest of his ashes.

Here's my urn:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

There are three people in my life that I could term a parent, depending on how you choose to define that. All of them, so far as I know, are still kickin it.

I'm going to be a hot hot mess when my mom goes. Age will not factor into this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Charlatan

While my father's death was a shock (suicide is not painless) I had a similar relationship. Wasn't especially close, was just beginning to understand how he might feel. I had just become a father, was approaching my 30s and getting my shit together. So much unsaid.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Yeah. I've had so many "Man, I can't wait to email him about..." or "I could use some advice on..." I guess the other part is the approval thing. He never really saw me hit my stride. I've got a good woman, a nice house, cool hobbies and most of the things that one might consider a part of Real Success.

17. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

ditto. I was 26, my dad was 56, he died suddenly the year that my girlfriend and I were planning our wedding - for when she graduated from university. My mother is still alive. We moved our wedding date to the same day as their anniversary. I am now a couple of months older than my father was when he passed away. But life styles of our generation are a far cry from that of those who grew up during the war years. The biggest impact has been no smoking.

18. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Please accept my condolences for your loss. My father had a heart attack on, of all days, father's day. He never really recovered and passed away 6 weeks later.

Time won't really heal you, but it will give you some perspective. Hang in there.

19. Charlatan

Not hitting my stride... exactly. One of the last conversations I had with him, the weekend before he died, we were talking about my University career. He had always dismissed it as a lark (supported by my mother's belief that it was a waste of time - longer story here). He had no idea that I had received mostly A grades. When he died, he didn't get to see where my career (only just starting) would take me. I think of him often as I travel the world.

20. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

My mother died 2 weeks before my 4th birthday. My father never recovered, became an alcoholic, and drank for 18 years before developing cirrhosis and lingering another 7 years, dying 25 years to the day after my mother's death, 2 weeks before my 29th birthday.