1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Making stupid mistakes at work, have you experienced this?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by chelle, Mar 16, 2016.

1. chelle

chelle Vertical

I just started a new job almost 4 weeks ago. This is the best job I've had with amazing opportunities and benefits. Everyone here so far is nice and I really don't want to lose this job but with the amount of mistakes I've been making I'm terrified. I can't lose this job.

I've been making stupid mistakes at work. My HR job is a lot more data entry than I ever dealt with. I know how to use the program but I've been making the dumbest preventable mistakes ever like instead of Quin it is Quinn, clicking save but not knowing you have to click TWICE to save your input, etc.
    Today I learned I made huge mistakes entering in someone's benefit start date fat fingering. All this could've been prevented if I just double checked or even triple checked and slow down! But to my small defense, he was 1 day past the deadline after given 30 days and I had to immediately input the information 5 minutes before closing time and this was all on my own my very first time when no one was around but this was still extremely embarrassing and perhaps my biggest mistake! I was mortified.

I went to talk to my supervisor about my errors. She says it happens when you're still learning but I am not sure if the amount of mistakes I've been making is normal. I've been independent my second week without supervision so maybe I just needed more time on training? I watched once and then bam I was on my own.

I fear with my paranoia it will feed more mistakes. Have you ever had a success story where your quality of work improved??? I know I just need to double or triple check and I'll be fine.... But I feel like an idiot today...

Stories and advice please?

2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I have to give myself checks and balances all the time with research. Double-check that I've put data in properly before I run analyses, same sort of stuff you're doing just sciency. I've definitely gotten better at it over time. The more time I spend with a program, the more I'm able to develop systems for checking and double-checking and triple-checking my work. Testing it in different ways to make sure I got it right. And I have a core group of people that I run the important stuff by, just so I have another set or two of eyes.

Zen. Calm. Develop systems and habits for double-checking yourself. If you're actively working to improve, you will see improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

You have said what the answer is: double check or even triple check and slow down

The key one being slow down. Take your time, you are still learning how to do the role and its tasks.

Mistakes get made all the time. The key is to learn from them. The other thing, you mention "before closing time". Are you able to work late at the office? If you take longer, can you stay past closing time? It should buy you more time to get up the learning curve and still meet deadlines.

4. chelle

chelle Vertical

I guess I could've stayed later. It just sucks when someone procrastinates and then expects you to get it done ASAP. Anyway, has anyone else had similar situations to mine?

How often did you make mistakes at a new job? Did you get scared you might get fired? I still have time to prove myself so I'm going to try...I will write down all my mistakes tomorrow and how to prevent them....

I just really hate feeling incompetent.

5. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I'm almost a year into a new job and I still make mistakes all the time. Just try to make sure they're not new mistakes so much. Like charles said, learn from them. Other advice already given "slow down." Yes. I would also add, remain calm. Take a few minutes in a quiet place to gather your thoughts before you react. A good recovery can save your ass about 80-90% of the time, so when you've made a mistake, do every thing you can to fix it, own it, report it to whoever needs to know and , repeat, learn from it. Try not to do it again. That's what employers pay attention to the most, I think.
    --- merged: Mar 16, 2016 at 11:00 PM ---
    also really important, move on. don't count mistakes and don't live there. everybody makes mistakes. you're not that special. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  6. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

"to err is human, to really f#$% up takes a computer" - been working on computers since the early 90s. I've run out of digits on which to count my mistakes. *Everybody* makes them. Anyone who says they don't is a liar. As others have said it is how you react to them that matters more than the mistakes themselves. Try to relax and enjoy the job :)

7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Short answer, yep.
    Longer...it depends.

Normal brainfarts during the day, all the time...but they're easily corrected. (programming, configs, typing etc...it's the nature of the beast in IT) - That's why you QA yourself.
    Judgment calls...rarely...if I have all the info...then they'll be right...but if someone leaves out a piece...well, you're not psychic. (doesn't mean you won't be blamed...this is why I double check and verify other people's info)
    On production...every decade. (I get paid to do it right...otherwise there are consequences) You plan everything in detail and you are paranoid about it.

However...I have done my allocated decade embarrassment recently.
    I accidentally took down the whole government national website. (actually I disabled it instead of one of its subcomponents)
    Easily fixed (re-enable - click, 2 seconds)

BUT there were no checks in place that I was aware of.
    AND the Director happened to have noticed it 3 hrs after I did it...but escalated it by emailing which didn't get noticed until next morning. (By the client director who had come in to monitor my loadtest...Oi Vey)

Lessons learned - let's see if they learn them...I know I remember forever.
    1. They shouldn't of had me doing the task oriented to in a few minutes for something that is typically done by someone else thru-out the year (and I had them listed in the plan, but they had a death in the family - no backup person)
    2. I need to get situated more and practiced at the task (the primary & subcomponent look EXACTLY the same...which is what caught me. It ain't magic)
    3. We need a check in the plan to note the website status after changes (plan updated already...AND stored in a shared area)
    4. We need to setup a ping or monitoring on the website (DONE, I've already setup something to alert...yes, this should have been done before but they didn't pay attention...I see a problem, I fix it...some don't)

Shit happens...but my philosophy is to presume errors may occur, so you have checks. (a test, a 2nd person, etc...)
    Problem is 2-fold
    One, many consider checks an annoyance. extra work...so they avoid it or ignore it.
    Two, many mgrs like using the minor mistakes as "gotchas"...rather than encouraging checks and preventative measures. (again, extra "work" for them to fix or even just to request it.)

My advice...make up your own checks to prevent error.
    You'll figure out the snags as you get more familiar.
    Write down this as a guide (pretending you are doing it for yourself...if you have to come back to it weeks later OR to train another) - Simple bulleted outlines are the best ....like a checklist (The Checklist Manifesto...great book)
    If you like it...show it to others or your boss...they may see things to add or adjust. (be warned, they may not care...if not, keep it for yourself. You'd be surprised who "borrows" it later)
    If it is good, it becomes a part of your protocol (put into a shared area)

Sorry to speechify...this is one my pet peeves
    Amazing what could be prevented if everyone checked & documented

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Mixed has good advice: own it and move on.

Management will be watching to see how you deal with mistakes. Owning your error is important.

In a previous role, I was in a senior position and had been instructed to not speak to the press. I was speaking to many people in the course of my day and spoke to someone from a magazine that covers my industry. I knew the reporter and asked for our conversation to be off the record. Of course they published and attributed it to me.

Luckily, I spotted it before management and brought it to their attention.

I was sure I was about to be sacked. I got quite bollocking but I kept my job. In presenting it the way I did, I owned my error and was prepared to lose my job. Instead, I managed the situation on my terms.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

When I screw up, it's generally spectacular and affects 100s of people, usually with significant penalties. It's an every few years sort of thing; but shit happens.

I admit I made a mistake and ask folks to get off my case until I get things fixed. "You can chew me out or fire me after I make things right".
    My profession is full of people that won't admit to mistakes or make things right. Doing both has always served me well.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I make mistakes after 20 years of doing what I do it happens, were human. most of mine come when im overconfident or not paying attention to detail

11. chelle

chelle Vertical

So something happened made me feel not as bad. A HR intern that is a student and worked here for two years is seen as a good worker and she even trains me on some things. Today she admitted to my trainer a mistake and corrected it. Then I realized she sent out wrong email templates for IT set up and I had to immediately correct it. So now IT thinks I'm dumb because I put in a request for correction last week which will take long to correct so the blame kinda falls on me. I made sure to let my trainer know I caught the mistake and corrected the interns (in a non blaming way).

So this makes me feel better. I hope the trainer knows I didn't make more list of mistakes. I fee better that a good worker that's been there for two years can make mistakes that even I know more on and can correct. So now I have to tel her why it was wrong since I'm her supervisor which makes it weird because she trains me sometimes.

12. genuinemommy

You are the intern's supervisor now. So that means that it's on you when the intern makes a mistake. It is in your best interest to make sure that they are trained well so they don't make errors. Sounds like you're handling things well.

13. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

If you're not making mistakes you're probably not working hard enough, and definitely not meeting your potential.

The key is making sure that you don't repeat your mistakes. Owning them is a good first step.

• Like Like x 2
  14. chelle

chelle Vertical

So I asked her on how I was doing so far so I could get some feedback on my performance. I mentioned how I'm working on my mistakes and she made it seem like it was normal and not a big deal...She said I've made strides since we first started and overall thinks I'm doing really good. She then said the hard part of the job is getting things done in time by payroll (getting new hire taxes/benefits in). I'm not sure what she meant by it because I can't control how soon they get certain forms in to me besides bugging them....so maybe that's what she meant. I just hope I'm not messing anything up. But yeah, I have anxiety and am currently seeking help without a therapist first....like therapy techniques. Seriously, I feel sick to my stomach with worries over the weekend...when I try not to think about this job it's in the back of my head. It's more challenging then other positions I've had so I'm nervous. Funny thing is, when I'm at work I'm not stressing because I think I'm facing my fear.

15. genuinemommy

Keep up the good work!

16. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

All you can do is ask for feedback and own any mistakes you do make. Honestly, I think a willingness to own mistakes is extremely underrated. Too many people waste time, effort, and stress trying not to get caught, not realizing that owning up to their mistakes may actually give them more credit in people's minds than if they'd never made the mistake in the first place.

Here's a recent experience I had. I have worked for the same company for over 18 years. I've had my current position for around 8-9 years. Among other things, I manage all of the pricing for one of our largest customers (tens of millions of dollars in sales per year, hundreds of SKUs). I made an error on my spreadsheet for pricing when I was calculating our 4Q 2015 selling price. Neither my management (who I verify the spreadsheet with before sending it to the customer) nor my support staff (who actually enters/enacts the pricing) noticed. My customer didn't notice. I sat down on the weekend before 1Q 2016 pricing was due and decided I'd get ahead on my coming week and knock out the pricing updates on a Sunday. As I dug into it, the outputs weren't making sense to me. I worked on it for a while, then decided that I'd leave it for Monday AM. I woke up in the middle of the night stressing over it and doubting myself, so I got out of bed at 4AM and started digging into it again. By 5:30-6am I found my previous mistake. I realized that we had over charged our customer by about $138,000 (iirc) in the previous quarter. :eek: That meant my company owed that back to them. That meant I'd been overpaid in commission by that much. But no one at my company or my customer's company had noticed.

I had two choices. I could just roll the error over and hope no one ever noticed it before the contract was up................or I could tell on myself and let the chips fall where they may.

I wasn't supposed to go into the office that day, I was supposed to work from home. But once I had ironed out the entire issue, corrected the mistake, calculated the damages, and corrected it for the next quarter's pricing, I got dressed and drove into the office. I walked into the President of my company's office (my boss's boss) and said "I need to let you know that I screwed something up." I explained to him what happened, how it happened, and how I found it. I told him it was 100% my fault (instead of pointing out that people above me and below me should've also caught it) and that I'd meet with the customer and explain what happened. He's a good guy, we've worked together closely for 15+ years, and I wasn't really afraid of being fired or anything, but I did expect some repercussions, maybe severe ones. Nope, he just basically said "I understand how it happened, now we just have to fix it." He did have me own up to it to the customer, he did dock my commission the next month to equal things out to what I should've been paid, but I also believe that he gained respect for me. Partly because I didn't blame anyone else. Mostly because I made the effort to come directly to him, face to face, to explain the issue instead of hiding it, denying it, or hiding behind the phone or email. In the end, even the customer didn't get worked up about it, they were just like "okay, how are we going to reconcile the difference?"

Cliffnotes - We all screw up. Own your mistakes. Don't blame anyone else. Learn from them. Move on.

:cool:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  17. chelle

chelle Vertical

Thanks everyone. I've improved a lot since I double check but t sucks because it's like a new mistake comes up but I learn from it.

What kind of mistakes or how many mistakes do you think would cause you to be written up or fired?

18. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

You write like you expect to get fired any second. Do your best, own your mistakes when they inevitably happen and stop worrying about it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

This.

The biggest thing that needs to adjust probably isn't your work. It's your own perception of your work.

We often live up or down to our own expectations. I'm guessing you have earned the right to raise yours. ;)

20. chelle

chelle Vertical

So update: I have been at my job for two months now. I've been getting more comfortable and it seems less mistakes are made as time goes by. My boss just went over my overall training to see what I've been comfortable with and what I feel I needed more training on; basically rating the training I received. I have one more month of probation.

Anyway, I asked for feedback on how I've been doing. She just had good things to say like she's been happy I'm there, since the interview she thought I was the strongest and best candidate despite other candidates having more experience with the university. She said over time hopefully as I become more comfortable in the role I can intervene with senior management on HR guidelines and "push back" as I learn the job because a lot of people try to step over boundaries and rules.

She didn't really give me much criticism. She did, however, bring up one incident she really keeps stressing to me on which is time sensitivity. When I first started I didn't do something which delayed someone's pay and I guess she got the heat for it. My trainer didn't tell me I was supposed to do a task so it's not completely my fault. Since then, I haven't ever made that mistake because NOW I know. She seems to be hung up on it though even though she knows I jump on things now to avoid delays. My trainer said that it actually happens sometimes and we could've easily taken care of that incident but the guy had to cc the president, provost, her boss, my boss, and all of senior management when it was absolutely unnecessary and cause a huge stir about a bonus. If it happens we just issue the check and usually no big deal.

Other than that incident, she mentioned it's water under the bridge but brought it up for the second time. Though she says I've been doing a good job and I even told her I have learned from my mistake (I was fresh and new, give me a break!).

Does it sound like that the incident may hinder me passing probation or getting a raise in September? I doubt they would fire me just because we are losing two workers which are students and can't hire any until Fall. Also, my trainer just announced she was pregnant...so she would be gone on leave so they kind of need me more than ever now lol.