1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Kickass is gone!

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Lucifer, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

So the founder of Kickass Torrents has been arrested in Poland. The site is down, has been for days, possibly will be forever. Now what?

What is your preference for Torrents? Especially for TV shows.

2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I stopped using torrents years ago. Lack of high speed internet and all.

But, the software needs to be redesigned, and sharing needs to be a little more mandatory. Certain hard to find files should be worth more though. I think the big thing that needs to change is that there needs to be anonymous, random data packets being sent to different people within the program autonomously. Then sending a few data packets to other people before they get to your computer might help too for certain files or paranoid people.

The websites need to be built into the app as well. Share the "website" with millions of users too.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I have too much stuff to watch on Netflix and Shomi, so I don't have time for torrents.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I don't even use torrents for anime anymore. Crunchyroll has nearly everything I'd want to watch these days.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Even Netflix has more anime than I'll ever watch.

I've actually stayed away from anime because it would probably double my "watch list." I'm not sure it's going to last. I have Sword Art Online and Knights of Sidonia on there already.

It really is an embarrassment of riches.

6. snowy

BL stuff has come and gone off of Crunchyroll in the past, but it looks like those days are over. Phew.

7. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

If you're looking for legal anime streams BECAUSE.MOE - anime streaming search engine is highly useful.

Netflix has really beefed up their anime selection. They still don't have the volume of the dedicated anime streaming sites but they do have a few good exclusives (in Canada, anyway).

Baraka_guru, you need to add (or not add I guess) Death Note to your list. Also maybe Attack On Titan and Soul Eater.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

Okay, back on the original topic,

Does anyone have any preference for torrent sites?

9. martian

When I was still using bittorrent the accepted wisdom was that if you wanted to avoid problems a private tracker was best. Getting an invite can be a bit of a trick, though. I'm sure all of my accounts must be defunct by now.

Sooner or later something will pop up to replace kickass torrents. Then it, too, will get to big, and will go away. So the circle of piracy goes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. snowy

This is still the common solution, per my friend who knows way more about this stuff than I do.

11. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I gave up torrenting a while ago, just to much hassle with it. I pay $10 a month for a 128bit SSL connection to a newsgroup server. After setting up sabnzbd, couch potato, and plex... I barely have to even look for stuff anymore. I can download a nzb file, throw it at my freenas server and have it download it then transfer it to my plex server.

I barely download movies/tv shows when like the rest, I have netflix/hulu/amazon prime.

So, sorry I got no good answers for you. Martian is right, private trackers are better, but harder to get in. Something new will fill the vacuum that is left.

• Like Like x 1
  12. martian

eden's solution is my solution for the handful of things I can't get a hold of legally anymore. A binary newsgroup subscription is cheap and automation makes it easy.

I googled around earlier and apparently torrentleech is allowing signups with code KICKTHATASS . I don't know if they're good or bad but it's an option.

13. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

So which Usenet subscription should I get? Do you have a guide I can follow to get sabnzbd, couch potato set up? I'm already running plex

14. martian

I use astraweb. They're less than $10 per month if you pay quarterly.

My setup is a bit different because I don't use couch potato/plex so I'll let @lordeden comment on that.

My setup is actually due for replacement since the daemon I use to find and and queue stuff is actually no longer maintained, but it still works and I'm lazy.

15. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I do private trackers. Why? Because I find it easier and more trustworthy over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I am under the impression that torrents are for illegal down loading, is this true?

17. martian

Downloading copyrighted content is questionably legal (location depending). Uploading copyrighted content is definitely illegal, at least in most parts of the world.

Torrents are just the medium. A torrent isn't itself illegal anymore than a VHS tape is.

18. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Streaming torrent content is currently up for debate since it doesn't down,lad and store it is a new grey area.

19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I made a decision, quite some time ago, to never torrent (i.e. steal) content.

I make my living in the industry that produces and licenses content. I have made a career of it for the past 25 years.

So I don't torrent.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  20. martian

I definitely understand this sentiment. For the record, I pay for content whenever it is practical to do so. But let's play devil's advocate here.

I kind of feel like the TV and film industries need to get their shit together when it comes to digital content. Gabe Newell famously said that piracy is a service problem, and then proceeded to (more or less) solve it in the PC gaming industry. iTunes and streaming services like Spotify have basically killed mp3 piracy for all but the most dedicated of collectors. Kindle and Kobo make books easy to buy and people buy them. What the hell is up with television?

I mean, sure, you've got Netflix, if you don't mind watching your content a year or more after release. There's Hulu, if you're American. The rest of the world can bite it. Even when you pay directly for content sometimes it doesn't get the same release schedule as broadcast television. I've bought seasons on Google Play and had to wait weeks after broadcast for the new episodes to show up. This is content that I am paying directly for. There is no more blatant way available to me to support the content creators. And I still get treated as second rate. What the fuck?

What's needed is some form of online digital distribution that lets people see first-run content either as it airs or shortly after, and lets them do it in a way that is convenient to them. You give someone an app that runs on their computer, phone, tablet, game console and/or smart TV and allows them to watch the shows they want to watch when they want to watch them, and I guarantee piracy goes down enough to not really be a problem anymore. You're not going to win the argument with moral browbeating because people don't see other people behind it. They see HBO or Universal or whatever other faceless corporation, and fuck those guys.

Bottom line is people will pay for more convenience and more access. They will not pay for less convenience and less access. If you cannot make your product more convenient to use legitimately than to steal, you will never beat piracy.

• Like Like x 1