1. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Is it Worth it to Vote?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by MKOLLER, Jul 4, 2012.

1. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

So a topic among many of my friends, as well as with family members, has to do with voting in what can be considered a "lesser of two evils" election. Obama and Romney both have their pros and cons, and it could be a person's opinion that neither is an ideal candidate for US president. Something similar could be said of the Obama/McCain election in 2008, or even of the Gore/Bush election of 2000.

In short, many people, as well as myself, feel that it's pointless to vote at all. Regardless, we have a civic duty to vote in the elections, as citizens of the United States (just as citizens in other countries may have the duty of voting in their elections if they have them).

So the question I have for you guys is, even if one believes their vote will not make a difference in the scheme of things, should they vote? As someone who really could care less since I feel we're doomed to mediocrity anyway, should I cast my vote in the elections this year?

2. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

As I read the thread title I was about to say HELL YES! IT'S THE FRIGGIN' PRINCIPLE OF IT!

Then I remembered Bush's second re-election.

I have to bully my roommate into voting this time round because he never voted the last time and I hold people like him responsible for bills like SOPA because if he paid an incling of attention to current events idjits like Lamar Smith wouldn't be elected into office.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  3. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

If you don't vote, you have no right to complain.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

Well it's not like anyone knew in advance that Lamar Smith was going to pull a stunt like that. Also, John McCain was easily at fault as his was the other name on that document. Then again, McCain is way too old to know a damn thing about the internet (other than it's a series of tubes), so I don't know what he was thinking.

5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

It's funny, whenever I step into a voting both--for local and state elections--I quickly realize that there are so many options to choose individuals that I know little or nothing about. I usually know the two main fatcats, but there are quite often a dozen other people I could pick that represent all sorts of backgrounds and interests. I see that you're from the Great White Northwest... you've got all sorts of options: typical career politicians, wealthy businessmen, environmentalists and even a few six-toed bearded lesbian potheads in tie-dye t-shirts and Crocs running for office. Amazing.

Here's the thing with voting: It's your job to do your homework and pick someone who you feel most closely represents your interests. Is it a perfect match? Hardly. I mean, let's say I'm a pro-gun liberal that believes in nationalized healthcare and paying a huge percentage but also likes his privacy and doesn't want a pussy-ass nanny state that legislates how he wears his pants. I'm not going to find someone like that on the ballot. I compromise.

A lot of people focus on the Presidential elections, but it's my feeling that more attention should be paid to the local and state elections.

I guess my advice is not get political tunnel vision: Change starts down the street, not on Pennsylvania Ave.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

You can't complain, if you don't vote.

Otherwise, whatever you say is wasted.

And as you saw in Bush vs. Gore, believe it not, every vote counts.
    If you say that it didn't, that they manipulated...well, if more people voted, then it would be harder to manipulate...

Even if it is the "lesser of two evils", are you saying that you want the worse evil, if prevented?

I do think they should,
    1. Make it on a Saturday
    2. Make it a national holiday
    3. Make it mandatory (if possible...at least show up and vote "none of the above")

Tuesday is the worst friggin' day they could have picked.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Sounds good, what national holiday do you want to vote on? We don't need any more days off in the US.

Waaay too commie.

8. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

That is true, and when I was younger my schools would do mock elections to teach us about the process, and I would many times pick one of the other parties because I believed in them more than the main three (Dems/Repubs/Independent). The problem is, you could believe in someone from the Green Party all you want and vote for them, but there's no way they'll get the majority. And it's a damn shame.

I agree. I wish I could have voted in the Klamath County local elections/voting, but unfortunately my residency is in California! There were a lot of measures on the ballot that I would have liked to have a say in (the county is really starting to look into biofuel and hydroelectric, but there are a lot of kinks to iron out).

9. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Uh, commie? come on now...

Make a national holiday instead of that Tuesday, do it for the Saturday before or after.
    Already, most of the nation is off from work.
    And there is already a law that no employer can prevent a worker from voting and have to allow enough time to do it.

Why make it more complicated...just friggin' do it.
    We argue way too much.

-----------------

Oh, and BTW...get rid of the damn Picaso gerrymandering.
    We have enough technology to grid the whole US in set squares.
    Make it all as contiguous near to each other as possible.

This petty manipulation is bullshit.

----------------

• Like Like x 2
  10. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

mandatory voting? we need less people voting not more. there are so many uninformed voters it's sickening.

i remember the first time i voted because of all the media/society pressure. well i remember making my decision in the voting booth and couldn't even tell you who i voted for. we dont need more votes like that.

there are enough uninformed people with the voluntary system, we dont need more idiots voting.

and if you dont vote you have every right to complain. it is expressly listed in the bill of rights.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

For the record, I'm against both mandatory and meritocratic voting.

That said, I think political campaigning should be regulated. Money talks, which means that those with the most money have the loudest, most frequent, and most sustained voices. To level the field, there should be spending limits on donations and spending on campaigns.

When choices are already limited, having the relative few hijack the messages only makes the problem worse.

The politically marginalized tend not to vote. More often than not, they should be the first ones in line to vote because they are the ones who often get the shit end of the stick.

Coincidentally, these same people tend not to have a lot of money.

Coincidentally, these same people tend not to have a lot of education.

Or maybe they're not coincidences.

No. I think a higher voter turnout is preferable. People vote for what they want. If they don't get what they want, they shouldn't cast a vote for the same party/candidate the next time. They should also keep exerting political pressure in between elections. Being politically active means more than voting. It's also about holding to account.

It's usually worth voting, but sometimes it's not. Voting often involves choosing the best of mediocre choices.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  12. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

Gerrymandering prevents smaller communities from having more power than larger ones.

13. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I also agree with this.
    Our town elections are typically won or lost on less than 100 vote difference.
    The people elected make a lot of important decisions that affect the course of our town.

The Presidential election doesn't really excite me. Here in the Democratic People's Republic of NY the Democrat is going to carry the state, typically by a very large margin.
    In this case, given the workings of the electoral college, my vote really does not matter.

14. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I will say it again, if you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain.

Also, no candidate is perfect. You vote for the one that best meets your needs/expectations.

As for Rouge's comments:
    This is what they do in Singapore.

When an election is called a date is chosen for the election. That date will be on a Saturday and it will be made a Statutory Holiday.

Also, voting is mandatory. It goes to the point that if you are going to be abroad on election day, you must provide proof that your plans preceded the election call. Furthermore, if you are a citizen living abroad, you have to make best efforts to get to a consulate or embassy to vote.

Not sure that I agree with the last bit, but the first to things on the list ensure there a few excuses to miss out on voting.

• Like Like x 2
  15. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

can someone please explain to me why you don't have a right to complain if you dont vote?

i hear this expression all the time and am quite tired of it. typically, there are only two choices in the states (republican or democrat), do i really have no right to complain if i have to choose between scumbag 1 or scumbag 2?

16. redux

redux Very Tilted

I think voting is a civic responsibility and if you dont want to take on that responsibility, which is your right and your choice, then you should live with the outcome with the same level of indifference.

The current system in the US could be improved in many ways to restore a level of confidence and even enthusiasm to participate.
    Serious and significant campaign finance reform to make candidates more accountable to the people in their district as opposed to corporate/outside contributors and to level the playing field between incumbents and challengers. Or even public funded elections at state/federal levels.​
    Make it easier to vote -- Saturday voting, same day registration, voting by mail (Oregon example).​
    Most importantly, an emphasis on civics in K-12 education, which has all but been forgotten.
    --- merged: Jul 6, 2012 3:37 AM ---
    I would characterize gerrymandering as the politicization of the necessary process of redistricting.

I would take redistricting out of the hands of state legislatures and put it in the hands of independent non-partisan or bi-partisan commission (former judges, former elected officials from both parties, etc). You cant remove politics from the process completely, but you can minimze legislative gerrymandering for political gain.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

I don't think I'd mind that. If it makes the system fairer, then it's byfar a better option.

18. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

A person who deliberately refused to put it the minuscule amount of effort to participate at the one time that's been specifically designated for effecting the kind of change you'd like to see ought not then be given the stage to sit around and bitch that things didn't turn out they way they'd have liked. It's not unlike the friends that I have who want to sit around and complain that they're unemployed and broke after they've turned down jobs because 'the pay wasn't right' or 'it's not what I really want' or whatever other reason they felt their needs as a special flower weren't going to be met. If you can do something about it, do it. If you're not going to do something about it, shut up about it.

Complaining about the problems with the electoral system, or the amount of control the two parties have over the process, or that the choices are always between a turd sandwich and a giant douche is fine as long as you get up and try to do something about it. If not enough other people agree with you to actually accomplish the things you'd like to see, welcome to democracy. And take a number.

19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Here's the thing... I can appreciate your desire to vote, None of the Above. But don't use it as an excuse to disengage. At the very least get your ass down to the polling station and spoil your ballot. And then, work, politically, towards something new.

Sitting on your ass complaining about the system while not doing anything is just a steaming heap of talk.

• Like Like x 1