1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

I'm looking to buy a car...

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Lindy, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

My 2002 SAAB that I paid about $7000 for in the fall of 2006 with sixty some thousand miles recently turned over 250K miles.:)
    I've spent a few thousand dollars on repairs, but all in all it's been (still is) a very reliable car, so I'm not in any big hurry. I would not hesitate to get in, fill the tank, and drive anywhere in the country. It's depreciated out, but I could probably still get a couple thousand selling it.

I'm looking for a replacement, needs to be a good road car. Strong and safe. I drive a lot all over the country because I truly hate to fly.
    I'd like to spend maybe $8000 to $12000. I'm not afraid of high mileage if it comes with good records.

I'll consider just about any brand, but I want a car (not an SUV) and I want a real manual transmission (three pedals) which I know leaves out most American cars.

Any experience or suggestions for a good manual transmission over the road car?

• Like Like x 1
  2. omega

omega Very Tilted

Acura tl or tsx. The first Gen tsx's were four cylinder models. The next Gen had the option of a v6, but at a pretty hefty premium. Both drove well. The upgraded stereo in the tl is really a treat. It is a good system that even played DVD audio discs. Most factory radios are crap. Not this one.
    Problem is, you drove 190,000 miles in 9 years. That's a lot. Saabs have and had no resale value. Any desirable car is going to retain much more value. Which means at that price you are looking at high mileage vehicles. Not like your saab. Maybe a honda accord.

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

The Acura suggestion is a decent one. So is a TDI Jetta or Passat. The 3.6 V6 available in the 2006-08 or so Passats is stout too, but you may have trouble finding an M6.

• Like Like x 2
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Plus, it's pretty easy to find a VW that's a manual :)

5. Borla

A Jetta for sure. IIRC, in most recent years that would fall in her price range the Passat only comes w/a M6 in the base model (2.0T), none of the higher trim models.

6. Lindy

When buying a used car, high depreciation is a good thing, and the exact opposite of what you want when buying a new car. I got an upscale four year old $37K car with under 70Kmiles and some other poor sucker ate that $30K depreciation. On my 8 year long watch it's depreciated another $6K. Not bad.:) SAABs at one time (before GM got in there)had a well earned reputation for being rugged, if quirky, and mine lived up to that.
    One of my cousins has an older Acura Legend. Nice car. I'm looking at an '06 Accord EX-L V-6 manual, 75K miles. I haven't driven it yet. Dealer is asking $11995.
    Good suggestions. I might like the 4 cylinder turbos. That's what my SAAB has.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I bought an 05 Accord with low miles a couple of years ago. It's been a great car. Paid 7k for it. Negotiate! :)

8. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Yep, Honda's run forever...my mom's did. (12+ yrs)
    One of the reasons I just bought an Acura (however I prefer new to start...but I ride them a long time)
    Definitely one to look into new or used.

9. Lindy

A friend here in Lincoln suggested looking at an Audi or Subaru, to get the advantage of all wheel drive in the winter.

They are also two makes widely available with manual transmissions.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Didn't you have a totally hot AMC you posted here one time?
    And I second the Subaru recommendation.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Borla

Audi's are an up-badged VW in some cases. At the budget you are looking in, I'm guessing that would be an A4. Check the Passat 4motions if that is a deciding factor.

12. omega

omega Very Tilted

I live in a snowy area. While 4wd can help going forward, it will not affect braking at all or turning in any significant manner. Snow tires are the way to go. I use them on my little acura integra and have had many ski days in the mountains. Also, 4wd can have a pretty significant impact on fuel economy.

• Like Like x 2
  13. snowy

Subarus are also great. My BIL has a Forester that, despite his neglect, is still in great shape (though he opts to drive a Toyota Corolla now).

14. omega

omega Very Tilted

I am on my second subaru.

15. Lindy

I still have it. It's sitting parked at the farm in Kansas. Still looks and runs good but leaks fluid like crazy, needs tranny and transfer case seals. My great-uncle bought it new, I got it as a hand-me-down in 2002.
    -1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Hubs just drove to Daytona to negotiate on a Golf R. The 4Runner is just not going to work in PDX and he's got the car bug. Again. This will be car #8 in 12 years. *sigh*

17. snowy

Uhh...pretty sure there's more use for a 4Runner out here than where you are now. I couldn't live without mine to carry our canoe, bikes, camping stuff, etc.

18. omega

omega Very Tilted

That is fucking awesome.

19. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Everything in PDX was on street parking, narrow streets, etc. No way we could have gotten around easily. We'll get a rack for one of them. It's pretty damn rad. The fuel economy on the 4Runner was shit, too... It was the trail version.

20. omega

omega Very Tilted

I think the golf r would be a fun car to have. That being said, I couldn't imagine the amount of money lost to flipping cars every year and a half.

• Like Like x 1