1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How do you lose a plane?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ralphie250, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Can somebody please explain to me how the Malaysian flight can just vanish??? With no trace.... with all the technology we have why can't we detect it with sonar or something....plus if a plane slams into the water wouldn't there be debris everywhere??

2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

How do you loose a plane? With the right sized socket and socket wrench. *ba-dum-tush*

The oceans are vast. Debris could take a while to float into shipping lanes? Or..it crashed into the side of some mountain.
    Or..it was hijacked by some potentate's army and the passengers are being used as slave labor and gladiators.

Too many questions.

It's probably the simplest answer. It was aliens.

• Like Like x 4
  3. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

No GPS required on all commercial carrier planes.

Weird though since many flights you can track via Flightboard or other flight tracker software.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ralphie250

Do they not have an eperb like boats?

5. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Didn't you see LOST? It's the Malaysian Triangle!
    Sorry... I know it's not funny. It's so surreal, though. I track UA flights all the time when I'm waiting on a flight or when my hubs is flying. Why they can't do that now is beyond me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Big ocean, little plane (more or less). They know where it disappeared from radar. When you're 7 miles in the air going 500 mph, that still leaves a large area and possibly not much debris.

It took 2 years or so to find that Air France flight.

• Like Like x 3
  7. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

That was present on this flight.

Malaysian Airlines System (MH) #370 ✈ 08-Mar-2014 ✈ WMKK / KUL - ZBAA / PEK ✈ FlightAware

Until they find pieces, this is all conjecture, but if the plane broke up at altitude (~35,000 feet), there probably wouldn't be much to find since the debris would be spread out so far, especially if the plane was turned as expected. They're searching hundreds of square miles - as a reminder to basic geometry, 10 miles by 10 miles is 100 square miles. When you're talking about objects moving at 650 MPH, a few degrees of variation can have an immense difference.

Also, if the plane went in nose-first at a near vertical angle (which implies pilot suicide or some other very extreme situation), it's possible that not much would be found since the plane might dive deep enough under the water at enough force to eliminate a lot of items' natural buoyancy.

Thus far they haven't found any debris at all, including oil slicks (despite earlier reports). That only deepens the mystery. The latest reports ID one of the false passport holders as an Iranian, but there's nothing linking him to the disappearance (and likely crash) of MH370 than he was using a false passport. It's probably important to note that in that part of the world, there are typically 2-5 people doing the exact same thing on any flight that size, so it's too early to start pointing fingers.

• Like Like x 4
  8. ralphie250

Yes I did. Lol

9. ralphie250

With everything said I understand but you would think you would see something..... reports say that it started to turn around and head back. Why wouldn't you start looking where you lost contact with the plane. They say there's 10 countries there looking for it. 10 countries can cover a lot of space to look for it.

10. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

They don't have Jack.
    Ba-dum-bum.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

All of this.

It is basically looking for a needle in a field full of haystacks.

They can/will almost surely find it. But the idea that it should happen almost instantly isn't probable.

12. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Then it went...POOF!
    Nothing.

In all seriousness, I feel for the families...there is no closure.

13. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

View: http://youtu.be/izxpXWBRjng

It sounds like the Langoliers to me.

[​IMG]

Too soon? Also, how would you feel being the guy who canceled his flight on MH370? Or the two people who had their identities stolen and were thought to be dead? Did they tell their families or spouses that they had died before they got home?

But, it is another industry that wants to pay the pilots and maintenance staffs the least amount possible, and not to require simple GPS tracking for all ocean crossing flights. They should have the black box pinging if it went down in the ocean, and I would think there would be a lot of smoke had it crashed on land.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ralphie250

Agreed on the $ and smoke. Why dosent the black box have a GPS signal??

15. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

If it were easy to track what goes on in the world's vast oceans, piracy would not still be a problem.

TWA Flight 800 exploded in midair for no apparent reason. It happens.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

The water around the possible crash site is only 200m deep. There are also many fishing boats in the area.

For the debris to be completely missing is very odd.

The Air France plane that went down had a debris field that was spotted, in mid Atlantic, within two days.

The fact that there was no mayday at all... Bizarre.

17. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Water is transparent to visible light and not much else, RF signals are attenuated beyond what's detectable (especially by satellite-based systems) rapidly with depth and GPS receivers are receive-only.

edit: the circumstances seen strange at the moment, but give it a few days to give recovery teams a chance to look around before jumping to conclusions..

My first instinct was "insurance fraud."

18. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

For the same reason that you can't send radio broadcasts to submerged submarines - the water blocks the signal. [OK, you can send radio messages to submarines but only if they're towing a several hundred meter long antenna, but you'd need a lot of power and the ability to extend that kind of cable for a black box to be able to broadcast underwater effectively] The black box DOES have a GPS locator that goes off when it's on land.

My guess on the debris field is that the plane went into the water largely intact, which implies a very steep angle impact in water deep enough that it didn't immediately contact the bottom. The last I read, the search was starting to focus on an area off a Vietnamese island where the water averages 50M, which seems too shallow for that kind of thing. They may have found a portion of a door or window just before dark fell. Hopefully they can locate it again in the morning. Air France started to break up mid-air if I remember the timeline correctly (which I'll grant I haven't looked at in a long time and could easily be wrong).

Also, columns of smoke require at least some sort of fire, and a steep angle impact with relatively full fuel tanks would not necessarily cause a huge water surface fire.

19. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I was thinking more of the land crash would result in a fire or at least some smoke. I would think that someone would have seen that by now.

20. ralphie250

OK.....wouldn't sonar pick it up?