1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Daniel_, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

Yeserday, I went with my wife and daughter (16) to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on stage in London.

I'd avoided reading any of the reviews, or talking to anyone who I knew was reading the script (sorry Cin) because I really did want to find out everything fresh.

That said, I accept that there are many people who will never get the chance to see it on stage, or who want to read the script first.

For anyone that is interested in talking about the show, or has aslo seen it, or has read the script and wonders "how do they handle THAT bit?", this thread can be aa place to talk about it.

For myself I have to say that at least half of what I loved about the show (and it was a phonomenal event) was the staging - they used a mixture of modern sound effects, stunning projection and lighting, old fashioned victorian parlour tricks, and some bits I've not worked out.

It was really very good.

So - if there's anything you want to know, ask, and I'll tell you. :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Jealous!

I'm curious as to how they did the transition-y "fast-forward" scenes at the beginning. As well as the Time Turner sequences.

3. Daniel_

The jump through years 1 to 3 in school are handled with loads of choreographed counter marching and people swirling in and out. Hard to explain but lots of movement. In the second play, the meeting where everyone talks for hours is fast forwarded with flickering lights.

The time Turner effect is brilliant.

They project a photo of the set, onto the set, then as there's a huge "mic drop" on the sound system, they "splash" the projected image, and you totally feel like the whole world had a seizure...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Daniel_

So now I'm reading the script.

Interesting how some bits I missed on stage. I noticed the big deal made over Delphinium having not been to Hogwarts in the play, but reading I noticed in her first scene she claimed she had problems at school.