1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling the air

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Street Pattern, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Let's say you go to a public or school indoor pool to go swimming. Or you go to a public gym to work out. You take a shower. You dry off, get dressed and gather up your stuff.

Then you go outside and -- wow. All of a sudden it's really good to be alive.

What causes that feeling?

I think I understand some of it. Even though you dried your hair, the underlying scalp is still moist, and the dry outside air cools your head in a really delicious way.

Probably it also has to do with emerging from the dimness and damp, stuffy air of an institutional hallway into the bright, dry, windy outdoors.

Obviously it doesn't work the same way if it's very cold outside (EDIT: or very hot and humid). But in the spring, summer, and fall, you suddenly get this great sense of well-being when you step through the outside door.

Does anybody else experience this?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Certainly :cool:

3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Around here "feeling the air" means the humidity clings to you.

4. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Ah. So outside air is just as humid as a shower stall?

Maybe this only works in climates that are cooler or dryer than your vicinity.

5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Not quite that bad, but yes there are days when you can literally feel the humidity. A freshly pressed 100% cotton dress shirt can look wilted fairly quickly. If I have to set out things like the garbage can, the recycling bin, leaf bags, items for heavy trash, I do so the night before, or if in the morning before I shower.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I worked at couple of places where the A/C was so cold that I felt that wonderful feeling stepping outside into the heat, especially if there was a nice breeze.

• Like Like x 2
  7. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

On our days off Sandy and I sit on the porch, front or back or both and drink coffee, enjoy the air and watch the sun come up. So nice to spend my time with her.:)

• Like Like x 1