1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Do you use Twitter?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I dislike most social media. I deleted my MySpace page soon after signing up. I've refused to get a Facebook page (oh, the horror!). But I finally broke down and got a Twitter account a month or two ago and absolutely love it.

I rarely tweet, and I usually couldn't care less what most celebs or pop culture icons are doing. I mainly got the account as a form of entertainment and a source for news. It's amazing how quickly you can keep up on sports by following a few key accounts. Over the course of the last several weeks my list of people I follow has grown to 112. I've been replied to by both Henry Winkler (aka The Fonz) and Charles Barkley, which I think is kind of cool.

Some of the more entertaining people I follow:
    Alec Baldwin
    Aziz Ansari
    Dennis Leary
    Rainn Wilson
    Mike Birbiglia
    Mindy Kaling

Some of the more informative people for news/sports:
    Alyssa Milano (surprisingly informative at times, keeps up on sports)
    Ozzie Guillen
    John Clayton
    Sports Illustrated
    Bill Simmons
    Michelle Beadle
    Erin Andrews
    Colin Cowherd
    Mike and Mike

If you use Twitter, do you have any suggestions for informative or entertaining people to follow?

2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Never have touched it and no plans to. Of course i said the same thing about Facebook and I have a very quiet FB page collecting dust now after a few months of activity.

3. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I have one...but I've noticed I normally only use it when I'm out drinking, as it curbs my drunk texting habit :)

Most of the people I follow are friends, or bands--- so I know when a new tour is starting, if an unexpected show is being played, that kind of thing.

Most of the people I follow are for entertainment value, rather than informational. Wil Wheaton is probably my favorite. Carrie Fisher always makes me giggle.

4. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I'm still head-in-the-sand about it. I'd heard of it, and gone 'Lah lah lah lah'. Then Joe Rogan on UFC got excited about it. It was late at night and I was half asleep, so I joined, clicked to 'follow' Dana White, read a few incomprehensible messages, and have not been back since. It was an excersise in confusion which put me off. I feel like I am a member of the 'out crowd', though, because millions of people seem to be comfortably navigating it.

I'll enjoy following this thread, because I reckon, as has already happened, there will be posts giving hints on how it works and what it could be useful for.

5. ManPaste

ManPaste New Member

Absolutely not. If I ever have to tell someone in two sentences that I plan on going to the bathroom I log onto here and tell them.

6. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

^ What he said
    I got a facebook account but every 'friend" is family or near family

7. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

I briefly tried Twitter to follow a particular celebrity (I was invited to do so personally) but quit after finding it quite creepy. I had no intention of tweeting, yet within an hour of creating an account I had people following me. I soon deleted my account.

If nothing else, one-way conversations don't interest me much.

8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I love Twitter.

I follow (and am followed) by a number of friends. I also follow some people I don't know in person but like to hear what they have to say.

I write on it, not with the intent that it will be read (though I know it is) but rather I use it as a micro blog. Sometimes it is my random thoughts out into the ether, other times it's my ongoing commentary about the taxis I take.

One of the best twitter feeds I follow is a writer in Toronto that is known for his writing on his walks around the city. He has been tweeting his walks for the past year or so and, for me, it's like walking through Toronto with him.

9. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

@kefra

it took a bit to get used to twitter but now i quite like it. of course you can't say much in 140 characters, but that's kinda ok. i follow lots of lit journals and strange record labels and writers and musicians. and some political people/organizations. it's a fine link dump. not so many friends, though. follow me and i can start changing that.

10. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

why not walk around Toronto?

11. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

he lives in singapore.

12. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

so either get a ticket to Toronto or walk around Sinapore

13. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

umm. y'okay, bro.

14. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I don't use the one that I have personally. I do use the one for TiltedForum. I use it to aggregate stories and follow interesting individuals on the fringes of the sexuality community.

15. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Exactly why 99% of my interaction with Twitter is reading things that pertain to interests of mine.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Using Flipboard to read twitter is totally brilliant. I highly recommend!

17. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i choose facebook. Twitter to me seems confusing

18. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

Yes. I enjoy tweeting and the true challenge is to write about a topic in less than or equal to 140 characters that people will understand.

@Sir_Jove

19. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

i really have no need for twitter, facebook, etc...

i've had my laptop for a while and just started using a cell phone 5 days ago...

20. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

For people who claim not to use the service, there sure are a lot of opinions about what the service is an how it is used...

As mixedmedia has pointed out, I no longer live in Toronto. I do like to walk around Singapore and have even used it as an opportunity to post on Twitter about some of the discoveries I've made.

As for why I would like to read posts by someone that likes to post to Twitter as they walk around a city, you might just as well ask why do people read editorials about politics. Shouldn't those readers, instead of reading some person's insights or commentary, just become politicians?

Like anything, some writers have something to say and others don't. If you aren't interested, don't buy the newspaper, read the blog or follow on Twitter.