1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Delicious Vegetarian Cooking

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by genuinemommy, Aug 2, 2011.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I hope that Snowy will share her delicious vegetarian recipe finds again.

In the meantime, here are a few tips to kick things off.

Eggplant becomes more tender and has a completely different flavor when salted. Cut your eggplant however you need to for your recipe (cubed, strips, diced, etc). Put it into a colander. Coat with salt. Let it sit up to 5 minutes, then rinse off the salt.

If you're steaming squash, eggplant, or other firm fruits, add salt and butter to the water. It'll make them tender and add a little bit of a buttery hint while keeping them healthy.

Making your own veggie patties out of leftovers is easy. Toss beans, lentils, quinoa, chickpeas, rice, mushrooms, and assorted leftover vegetables into a food processor. Add a touch of oil, water, and seasonings. Add tahini or eggs as a binder, then pulse the food processor. Add protein powder, rice flour, whole grain flour, and/or oatmeal as needed to make them an appropriate consistency. Form them into patties, place on a sheet of waxed paper or aluminum foil, then freeze until needed. They can go straight from the freezer to the grill.

• Like Like x 1
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Spent grain from brewing is also a wonderful addition to the veggie patties GG mentions above. Another tip: if you cook anything in water before adding it to the patty, like the lentils, add some dried shiitake to the water. When the shiitake is rehydrated, add it into your mushroom mix. Meanwhile, it's added some umami to the lentils.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Are vegetarians less gamey when you cook them?
    On a serious note, I do not have much experience with this area of cooking but would be happy to try it.

4. genuinemommy

Oh, Snowy - I've been meaning to ask you for recipes with dried Shiitake. A friend gave me a huge bag of them and I'm at a loss.

5. Speed_Gibson

Are Shiitake mushrooms significantly different to cook with? My main experience with mushrooms has been sautéing them in butter and garlic to have with steak or mixing them in with Tetrazzini.

6. genuinemommy

Their flavor is quite strong, and tends to overpower whatever else is in the dish. Though the broth resulting from rehydrating them is a wonderful stock for soup.

7. snowy

Dried shiitakes don't really go bad, so just hanging on to them and throwing them in anytime you cook beans, lentils, grains, or make soup will probably use them up quite nicely. Otherwise, you can use them to flavor a risotto. One thing I would use them for is mushroom barley soup. Yummy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Speed_Gibson

I had never even heard of lentils before moving to this area. Now I live just miles from the self proclaimed "Lentil Capital of the world"
    Mushroom barley soup sounds good.

9. snowy

Heck yeah you do! Lentils are the first thing I think of when I think of the Palouse. My first experience eating lentils was after my dad went to St. John for some principal's thing (he stayed in a hotel that had a single room) and he brought back a gift basket they had given him full of lentil and split pea soup mixes made from local lentils and split peas.

10. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I found this on reddit the other day and I'm thinking about trying it out.

3 1/2 cups stock or water
    1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into thick wedges
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, minced
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    Large pinch saffron threads (optional)
    2 teaspoons Spanish pimentón (smoked paprika), or other paprika
    2 cups Spanish or other short-grain rice
    Minced parsley for garnish.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Warm stock or water in a saucepan. Put tomatoes in a medium bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle them with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss to coat.

Put remaining oil in a 10- or 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, saffron if you are using it, and paprika and cook for a minute more. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is shiny, another minute or two. Add liquid and stir until just combined.

Put tomato wedges on top of rice and drizzle with juices that accumulated in bottom of bowl. Put pan in oven and roast, undisturbed, for 15 minutes. Check to see if rice is dry and just tender. If not, return pan to oven for another 5 minutes. If rice looks too dry but still is not quite done, add a small amount of stock or water (or wine). When rice is ready, turn off oven and let pan sit for 5 to 15 minutes.

Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with parsley. If you like, put pan over high heat for a few minutes to develop a bit of a bottom crust before serving.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

Credit: http://www.reddit.com/r/VegRecipes/comments/j6syr/vegetarian_paella_delicious/

11. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I'm not much of a recipe guy, pretty much every meal I make starts with general proportions and working until it tastes good. In general, I find that as long as something is seasoned well and doesn't rely on the meat for flavor (lo Mein, stir fry, etc.) tofu in cubes roughly the size of the bits of pork or chicken called for in the recipe work well; it's seemed to me that celery salt in place of standard salt helps to compensate for the lack of savoriness.

12. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

In addition to the veggie patties, do you guys and gals have any suggestions for heartier vegetarian meals that a meat lover might enjoy? Dieting, trying to incorporate veggies into the mix, not wanting red meat or chicken every day, but am not a tofu or steamed veggie kind of guy.

13. snowy

Beans, beans, and more beans. Yes, flatulence will be an issue at first (unless you pop some Beano), but your body will adjust in time. Hearty grains. Try barley and quinoa. Both made excellent cold salads, are good hot, and are very filling.

If you need recipes, let me know. I'm off to work right now, but I'd be happy to post some of mine when I get home.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Magpie

Magpie Getting Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  15. cellophanedeity

cellophanedeity New Member

My favorite way to cook tofu is to slice or crumble firm tofu into a little bit of canola oil over medium heat, and then fry it til golden. I then pat off the extra oil with a paper towel, then coat the pieces in a sauce, usually of the barbecue variety. It's not the healthiest way to serve tofu, but it's the "meatiest" way I've found, so even boyfriend loves it.

2 Tofu Tips:

I find that GMO tofu is harder to digest, so I recommend searching for a good non-GMO brand in your area. If you're in Toronto, the best place to get tofu is at Ying Ying Soy in the basement of St. Lawrence Market.

If you want extra-meaty tofu, freeze it before you want to cook it. When it thaws rinse the tofu in water then press all of the liquid out.

16. snowy

We like to dry out the tofu in the toaster oven before frying to remove all of the extra moisture. We don't always add it to something--in fact, more often than not, we just fry it up and eat it with sauce like you do, cello. I love tofu dipped in hoisin sauce.

17. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I only wish that I could learn the art of Indian vegetarian style cooking.
    We have friends from India. The wife can take any sort of vegetables and whip up a delightful pungent flavorful dish.
    I am a dedicated carnivore but Indian vegetarian meals are totally fulfilling and make me forget about the meat.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Hit up the Tofurky brand sausages. They're delightful. Also, I'm sure their franks and links are good as well.

As for patties, Boca burgers are good if you haven't tried them.

I made chana masala from scratch once. It wasn't too difficult and it was so delicious.

Vegetarian Indian cuisine is the only evidence I would posit for the existence of the divine.

This isn't the exact recipe I used, but it's similar:

Chana Masala

Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:

1 can chickpeas in water (also called garbanzo beans) or 1 1/2 cups precooked + 1/2 cup water
    1/2 onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic, diced
    3 tbsp olive oil
    juice from one lemon, (approx 2 tbsp )
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    1/2 tsp coriander powder
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp garam masala
    1 large bunch of spinach or two handfuls, rinsed

Preparation:

In a large skillet or frying pan, sautee onions and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
    Add chickpeas straight from the can, including all the water. Add spices and lemon juice, cover, and simmer about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more water if needed, until chickpeas are cooked and soft.

Reduce heat, add spinach and cover. Allow spinach to wilt for 2-4 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy your chana masala!

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maindishentreerecipes/r/ChanaMasala.htm

19. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I've made Eggplant Parmesan before, and my mom told me to salt the eggplant slices then place them in layers between paper towels in a dish in the fridge for a few hours.
    Presumably to get the bitterness and moisture out.

It seemed kind of extreme. It worked, but is there an easier process?

20. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Baraka thanks, will definitely give that a try. Does not sound hard to make at all.

Eggplant has two lovers: Salt and olive oil.