1. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Cormac McCarthy passed away

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Chris Noyb, Jun 14, 2023.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pig

pig Slightly Tilted Donor

Suttree is such a good book, and the Borderline Trilogy. I really didn't like The Road nearly as much - it just didn't seem to say as much to me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Suttree, semi-autobiographical, is a good read. McCarthy 's two novels I enjoyed the most are The Road, and No Country For Old Men. Blood Meridian is an interesting mix of his early darkness and later more accessible (sort of) writings.

Edit: Seeing the movie The Road helped me get a better feel for the novel. It's obviously about post apocalyptic survival, but it's also very much about a man's love for his son.

The Border Triology kept me interested through all three books, but I think they could've been condensed. Of course hindsight is easy :rolleyes:.

Edit: I've never seen the movie All The Pretty Horses because every review has been negative. It sounds like Billy Bob Thorton made it too much of a romance movie.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pig

pig Slightly Tilted Donor

Yeah, I still liked the Road when I read it, but Suttree rocked me - I think it was a little close to some of my own experiences and just...yeah. The Borderline Trilogy seemed to just have those themes of It's Always Been This Way and Always Will and violence and there's no point but we do it anyways... I can see that in The Road as well, but I don't know.

• Like Like x 1