1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Baylor University sex scandal--More heads need to roll

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Chris Noyb, May 27, 2016.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The link to the 13 page report regarding the Baylor University sex scandal is posted below.

https://www.baylor.edu/rtsv/doc.php/266596.pdf

The law firm of Pepper Hamilton also provided a separate document outlining their recommendations for changes; I'll post that link later. Edit for link:

http://www.baylor.edu/rtsv/doc.php/266597.pdf

Transparency my ass. That is not what I consider a full report, it's a summary. It concludes that some individuals were very much responsible for BU's failure to properly handle the sexual assault allegations, but doesn't name them. Did BU--which claims to want transparency-- receive a more detailed report giving details about the failures and the names of those responsible? If yes, and BU is going to stand by the findings of Pepper Hamilton, it should be released.

Art Briles, the (now former) head coach of the football team, has been fired. Does this mean he was actively involved in the cover-up attempts, or that he turned a blind-eye and had a I-don't-want-to-know attitude?

Kenneth Starr (yes, he was the Special Prosecutor brought in to investigate then POTUS Bill Clinton) has been removed as President of BU, but he was not fired completely, he will remain Baylor’s chancellor (with no "operational responsibilities") and a professor at the law school. Oh really? So what exactly did Starr know or not know and do or not do?

Perhaps BU will announce further firings and/or demotions, or make those changes very quietly.

From what I've heard & read so far, Baylor has not gone nearly far enough. They need to name names, explain the actions and/or inactions of those named, and completely remove those people from the university. Furthermore, if some people did indeed try to retaliate against the women making sexual assault charges, they should be prosecuted as criminals.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

As of yet I've not read the full report. I did hear a lot of coverage on it yesterday, and it sounds like the stuff going on was really horrible. At least one of the victims supposedly had blatant retaliation against her for reporting the crimes against her. If true, I agree that that is absolutely a criminal matter, not just a matter of losing employment.

Once I get a chance to read everything I may have more comments, but based on just the summaries I've heard, I think and hope more people will face consequences. Or, in the case of some like Starr, more severe consequences. From what I initially heard the issue with Starr not getting fired was due to tenure and the potential of a lawsuit. We'll see.

I'll throw in a caveat. It seems like recently the knee-jerk reaction to every scandal is "fire them, charge them, throw them in jail!!!" Often that decision is given public support after a single poor decision, or when the facts are unclear. IMO this does not seem to be the case of a knee-jerk reaction for an isolated incident. It seems that Baylor had a culture of allowing and covering for sexual assaults. That is despicable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

BU is a private Baptist university. I won't pretend to know what the laws are regarding what information they must make public.

If they were a state university, I'm pretty sure that they would face more stringent disclosure requirements.

One of the football players was convicted and sentenced, which is a good thing (of course provided he was guilty, and FTR I'm not making a judgement either way). But he could be the tip of a very ugly iceberg, so to speak.
    --- merged: May 27, 2016 at 12:32 PM ---
    I'm having problems getting the right link to post.

Former Baylor player gets probation, 180 days in jail for sexual assault - WacoTrib.com: Courts And Trials

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  4. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Sigh, the American university system. While they produce lots and lots and lots of useful research, there are so many issues I dislike them for:
    - Student loans; a whole can of worms in an of itself
    - Severely underfunded community colleges whose degrees are seen as barely worth the paper they are printed on
    - "Executive Business Schools" (including Harvard's) of which I know plenty of graduates who couldn't efficiently manage a hair salon let alone a corporate department
    - Private universities being able to teach whatever they happen to feel like, based on the weather at the time; completely unrestricted presumably due to invoking "Freedom of Speech"
    - Grade inflation; because poor Jimmy paying that fat tuition couldn't possibly live without his straight 4.0 GPA amirite?
    - The tendency for bloated administration and tenured faculty with disproportionate salaries

And then the whole crap about having their own judiciary (who even came up with that idiot idea?), private police forces, and the recent "safe space" culture being propagated by the coddled millenials...

I give up. You have that kinda system and then you're shocked things get mishandled?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris Noyb

You left out something, which most definitely applies here:

- The money brought it by having a successful a sports team (football in this case) and what people will do to keep the money coming in.

It does sound as though Baylor would've mishandled the complaints and the subsequent investigation regardless of who was involved. But I'm pretty sure the fact that the complaints were made against some members of the Baylor Bears football team added to the stonewalling.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I continue to think that the way that we run college sports programs-- especially football-- as a major industry that is somehow nonetheless tax-exempt, and which for unfathomable reasons we appear to believe will somehow not end up being run in the cutthroat fashion that other billion-dollar industries are, are pernicious bedfellows for educational institutions. I believe that college sports programs should be severed from the universities they are associated with, in all but name, and should be considered taxable business ventures that are allied with colleges as work-study programs. The team members should be considered employees, with the same rights as any other kind of business employee. And public dollars should not fund either stadiums and arenas, team budgets, or coach and staff salaries.

The way things are right now only fuels trouble.

I also continue to think that Kenneth Starr is an utterly reprehensible human being, and deserves to be fired, prosecuted, and given a good kick in the balls.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Chris Noyb

I agree that college sports should be treated as businesses; that's what they are.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

If Kenneth Starr is investigated along with the Baylor football team they may uncover a vast right wing-back conspiracy.;)

• Like Like x 2