1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

2016 NFL Season thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Today is the first day of free agent signings, so I figured it was a good time for a new thread.

I'm wondering how our @Chris Noyb feels about his Texans' new QB?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Basically all I know is last season Osweiller wasn't that impressive when he filled in for Manning. I need to do some checking on his background.

I certainly don't understand the $$ it took to sign him.

Going for a young QB with potential rather than a the-future-is-now veteran QB makes sense in the long run.....but.....Osweiller was a back-up. Maybe he's considered a hot NFL prospect (???). Maybe Rick Smith & OB see something special in BO. IMO the money BO is going to make could affect the competition for the starting job--What GM and/or HC wants to admit that their big $$ QB isn't worthy of being the starter? OTOH having a guy in camp to work with the first team offense from the start is better than shuffling two QBs.

I also question why BO jumped ship. He appeared to be in a good position in Denver. With the Bronco's defense, he didn't need to be a scoring machine. With the Texans, he's going to be under a lot of pressure to perform well (the Texans need more TDs instead of settling for FGs).

Lamar Miller looks like a good addition. While I wish Arian Foster all the best, he seems to be a prime example of why RBs have relatively short NFL careers--an accumulation of injuries made him a question mark, and he was set to make big money. Use-'em-up-then-discard -'em is ugly, very ugly, but that's how sports works.

The departure of Garrett Graham was no surprise. He was making/about to make too much money for his reduced role in the Texans' offense. I can see him landing with a good team and doing well.

3. Borla

I'll start by saying that I'm not yet sold on Osweiller myself. I think he COULD be an above average QB, but I don't think he's done enough to prove it is more than a coin flip. His stats and someone like Hoyer's stats aren't terribly far apart, though you could argue that Osweiller's physical measurables are better.

But if you want to understand the money it took to sign him, let me first ask you this question: Among the current NFL QBs, where would you rank Osweiller's ability/potential for next year versus the guys who played this last year? Think about some of the QBs that got playing time when you consider that question. Guys like Manziel, Foles, Gabbert, Keenum, Bortles, Fitzpatrick.........where is Osweiller on that list?

Got your initial thought?

Don't change it on me now. :p

Was it somewhere in the 20s maybe?

That's kind of where I had him. I'd rather have him than the bottom 6-8 guys. But I wouldn't have him in the top half. Probably not even top 20.

Guess where his pay for next year is?

21st.

The contract numbers are all bogus, because the NFL contracts are not guaranteed. So even though the headline yesterday was for $72M, the guaranteed number is "only" $37M. So his number against the salary cap next year is $12M. Among QBs, that is 21st in the league. (Link = 2016 Quarterback Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap )

So while I'd agree with anyone who says he's not a proven franchise QB, I'd argue that he got what the market will bear for someone of his skill. If the Texans hadn't paid it, another team or two would've been close.

As far as why he'd leave Denver? Well, the contract Denver offered was reportedly a few million dollars per year less than the Texans were offering. Considering the length of NFL careers, and the possibility he could be out of the league in a year or two for injury or performance reasons, I don't begrudge him taking more money. I also think the way Denver handled his benching in Week 17 was a factor. He came out of the locker room at halftime thinking he was going back in the game, and as he was reaching for his helmet Peyton jogged onto the field. Apparently they forgot to tell Brock he'd been benched. That's bad form, and after him sitting patiently behind Peyton and being a good teammate for the last few years, I think he expected (and deserved) a little more respect.

The Texans are shaping up to be a team that is mimicking what Denver had success with too. Good defense which could be great this year if Watt is healthy. Picked up some help for the running game. Weak division if Indy doesn't bounce back fast. Brock may not have to be a top ten QB for them to make some noise this year.

Also, I'm kind of rooting for him, partially based on the TMZ video released a few days ago. He was in a situation where a lot of athletes would've ended up in a fight and/or arrested and he kept his cool, removing himself and those with him from a sticky situation.

Brock Osweiler -- Blindsided at Pizza Shop ... Refuses to Fight Back (VIDEO) | TMZ.com

4. The Lions new GM has made, to my mind, a few solid moves on the defensive side. How he goes about the filling the gaping hole on offense, now that Calvin Johnson has retired will be interesting to watch. The past couple of seasons, the offense was rather unproductive when Megaton wasn't on the field. They need a new big play threat.

5. Chris Noyb

So Osweiller took the best deal he could get, and the current NFL trend is for back-up QBs with some potential but who are basically unproven to make big money. The Texans had to pay up, or do without. Hopefully he'll be the QB the Texans need; time will tell.

I remember Mallet's reaction after not getting sent back into the game (against Indy?), he paced the sidelines saying "This is bullshit." Which it was. But a certain amount of maturity and discretion was called for.

A couple of thoughts:
    Another team covered Osweiller's salary for four years while he (hopefully) learned the game.
    Perhaps leaving Denver, and not worrying about having to fill Manning's shoes, was a smart move.

-------------------------------------

I'll laugh my ass off if Keenum (Go Cougars!) ends up having a NFL career, even if as a back-up, and Manziel (the aggies suck!) ends up completely out of the NFL. That is provided Manziel doesn't do something extremely stupid.

6. Borla

Yup, that's pretty much how I see it. With a young and talented defense and an improved running game, I think this was the best move they had. It's not like Aaron Rodgers was available. :D

7. Chris Noyb

Actually at one time I was wondering what the Texans would have to pay to land Rodgers (in my dream he was a free agent). I can only imagine what kind of $$ Newton or Wilson would command. Not their current salaries, what they could get as free agents.

8. Borla

That's part of why Brock hit it so big. Top QBs simply never get to the point of being free agents. Their teams ALWAYS throw truckloads of money at them to stay put before their contract expires.

Think about it. When was the last time a top ten QB, let alone a top 3-5 QB, became a free agent when healthy? It seriously just doesn't happen.

Manning became a free agent after four neck surgeries and losing an entire season to injury. He could barely grip a football when the Broncos signed him. So he was a big risk.

I honestly can't think of any top 5-10 QB that became a free agent when healthy in the last 10 years? Can you think of anyone I'm missing?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

No.

I think a good example is Brees. He probably should've left the Saints a few years ago when their slide became apparent, while he was still relatively young and healthy. My guess is the Saints wrapped him up in a multi-year contract for big money to keep him. If the Seahawks continue to yo-yo, Wilson could find himself facing a tough decision (depending of course on his current contract situation).

10. Borla

Brees left SD in 2006, he had a bum shoulder (Miami's doctors actually failed him on their physical and Miami refused to sign him) and wasn't elite yet. He signed with the Saints to a 6yr deal (only first year was guaranteed, second year was an option). Obviously he played well and the team did well. Before his final contract year he signed a new five year deal, which was renegotiated again before last season. So he's currently signed through next season. So every time he's been a free agent since 2006 (and he wasn't considered healthy or elite at that time) he's extended the deal at least one year before it was over. The team wins because they keep him. He wins because each renegotiation guaranteed him a couple more years even if he was injured. A perfect example of what we've been talking about, once a good QB gets to be a great QB, he and the team always seem to work out the new deal before the current one is over, preventing him from ever hitting free agency.

Here is a good breakdown of where Russell's contract stands if you are interested: Breaking down Russell Wilson's new contract | The MMQB with Peter King

Now, I have some devastating news for you Chris. You are going to need to sit down for this.

Are you seated?

Take a deep breath. Have a tissue handy............

Johnny Manziel waived by Cleveland Browns after tumultuous two years

Reportedly the Browns have been shopping him around to see if anyone would even trade a late round pick for him, and no one would offer a thing. So they cut him.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris Noyb

I don't know if Manziel is just an immature 21/22 YO kid with too much money, and/or if he has a serious substance abuse problem (there have been hints that alcohol might not be his only problem). I hope for his sake any NFL teams thinking about giving him a chance wait at least a year to see what he does with his life. He might have to face the very real possibility of becoming A. Normal Person instead of Johhny Football; whether or not he could handle that remains to be seen.

One good thing is the sickening Johhny Football hype around here has died down considerably.

12. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

all this talk about back up QBs and what their worth, reminds me,every NFL season the starter always gets hurt and sits out for more than a few weeks.

13. Chris Noyb

I read a report where Ryan Fitzpatrick, the career back-up sometime starter who has bounced around the NFL like a Superball, is holding out for more money.

14. Borla

He's a free agent with multiple teams (at least the Broncos and Jets) after him. I'd be playing them off each other for more money too. :p

15. Chris Noyb

I wish Fitz all the best, but TBH he's a yo-yo.

I guess the reports are true, there really is a lack of decent QBs in the NFL.

16. redux

redux Very Tilted

Are the Jets playing RG III in their negotiations with Fitzpatrick?

So who will really take a chance on RG III?

Rams? backup in Denver? backup in KC?

17. Borla

18. Borla

19. Chris Noyb

Copied from the linked ^ article: While I think that the writer's attempt at humor--"Manning's corpse"--falls short, he does make a point. Consider the two young & "hot" QBs--Wilson didn't get the Seahawks into the SB, and Newton couldn't make the game close.

"...Just last week, in a fruitless argument with co-workers, I used the phrase “you can win a Super Bowl with Ryan Fitzpatrick.” But I recognize this is a logical continuation of a team having won a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning’s corpse..."

But of course which NFL teams have defenses tough enough to support a just-don't-do-anything-stupid/back-up QB?
    And when Fitz crashes, he does so spectacularly!