1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

1923 teacher contract

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Street Pattern, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Here's an artifact of a bygone era, when public school teachers were required (in many places) to be chaste single women. That was certainly the system in southern Michigan at the time, but I believe this contract is from Ohio.

Note all the detail about the deportment of the teacher, but not a word about teaching.

teacher-contract.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Those ice cream shops are the devil. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

The class based system is basically a medieval concept.
    And mgmt acted like Lords.

Gotta treat humans like humans.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Man, I would be so screwed.

• Like Like x 5
  5. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

The ice cream shop part was because they were used as like bars for singles to hang out in and meet up.
    There is a pretty famous one up here that had a floating crap game in the back for years so that's a possibility as well.

The sad part is that there is still are morals contract in many teachers contracts where if you get arrested you can be fired before you are actually convicted of the crime.
    It's just a matter of looking like you might have done it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

You wear your dresses 3 inches above your ankles? How scandalous.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Relevant.

8. zoolady

zoolady New Member

OF COURSE this is funny! But the truth of it is...it's horrendous.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

It's no wonder women were thinner back then.;)

My grandma had a contract similar to this that she later had framed and I remember it hanging on the dining room wall.
    What I remember most clearly was that in 1932 she was only paid sixty dollars per month (and she always pointed out that that was only for the nine months of the school year, no pay for the summer months) to teach at a two-room country school just outside of Liberal, (Liberal is the name of the town, and had nothing to do with the politics) Seward County, Kansas.

She was only eighteen, and took her last two years of high school at an accredited "normal high school" in Emporia.
    Yes, you could get a teaching certificate straight out of high school. And yes, she had to resign when she married my grandfather in 1940, and went on to get a real degree from Connecticut Wesleyan.

She didn't think the pay was all that bad. After all, a new car (1933 Plymouth Coupe) cost only $440 in those 1933 dollars. Her rent was $11/month in a rooming house, and that included meals.

According to grandma, many of those restrictions, though normative for the times, were not enforced in practice, but served as a convenient way to get rid of anyone who was a troublemaker, or couldn't fit in. Sorry, @snowy.;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

My mother found a list of teacher guidelines, I don't know from what year, that is very similar to the posted contract. She had it framed as a present to my wife.

Somewhere I have a copy of an anti-communist agreement/statement that teachers had to sign, from 1952 IIRC.
    --- merged: Mar 2, 2015 12:27 PM ---
    The wonderful & useful tool known as Selective Enforcement :mad:.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
  11. snowy

Really, that's the least of my sins.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

Detailed list, please :p.

13. omega

omega Very Tilted

My mom was a teacher. She had to retire in 1969 while pregnant with my sister. Then after she was born she went back to work. She was allowed to continue to teach in 1973 when pregnant with me. Also, my dad was not allowed to be in the delivery room when my sister was being delivered. This was all in Maryland.

14. snowy

The only thing I'm not guilty of on that list is coloring my hair.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Dressing in bright colours and only wearing one petticoat are pretty serious offenses.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Two petticoats is the 1923 version of "double bagging it."

• Like Like x 1
  17. snowy

More like the 1923 version of a high-cut shirt. Preserving modesty and all that.

Meanwhile, I've forgotten what modesty is.

18. Chris Noyb

As has been mentioned in other threads, a certain degree of modesty is still important to most teachers. My wife gives any blouse/shirt/top intended for work the "bending down & cleavage" test.

19. snowy

Well, obviously. The teacher me and the outside school me are different people. I wear a lot of undershirts to school.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chris Noyb

Snowy, I aplogize, I just realized that my post, #18, could be interpreted the wrong way. I know that you've previously mentioned not giving the young lads, who are already hormone fueled, any reason to look down your top.

Unfortunately I see a few teachers who are either clueless re proper dress, or maybe they enjoy the attention. That applies to male teachers as well. Unless a guy has thighs and/or glutes and/or gentitalia that is/are way oversized, it's not difficult to find loose fitting pants/trousers and shirts.